VPC-2 Now Shipping!

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« on: 23 Sep 2005, 02:51 pm »
Our New VPC•2 Passive Controller is now shipping!

More info can be found on our website http://www.ciaudio.com

Tim S

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2005, 05:12 pm »
That isn't the new remote controlled preamp you have mentioned before is it? The second set of outputs looks like a useful addition though.

Tim

BradJudy

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2005, 07:17 pm »
Good to see.  I'm guessing you might have one with you at RMAF next week?

BTW: A suggestion for the website - can you place the product prices on that product's individual page in addition to the main page?  It seems a bit odd to flip back to the main page to see the price.

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:50 pm »
We're not displaying at RMAF, but AV123 will be using a VPC•2 in their demo system.

We put all prices on the main page so they're all in one place (like a price list). I can edit each page when I have time, but right now I have more important things to do  :)

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2005, 12:31 am »
Quote from: Tim S
That isn't the new remote controlled preamp you have mentioned before is it? The second set of outputs looks like a useful addition though.

VPC•2 is an updated version of the original VPC•1.
The full function remote controlled preamp won't be out until early 2006.

-Dusty-

sas

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2005, 10:54 am »
Dusty, sorry for bothering you with questions!

I need a DAC and preamp, and like the idea of your passive module. I've also been thinking of the benchmark DAC1 as a kind of all-in-one.
I would like to place monoblocks close to the speakers, and run long (around 30ft) shielded interconnects, low capacitance so I can keep the DAC/pre close to the listening position.
My monoblocks (norh 180wpc) have an input sensitivity of 1.8v and plenty of gain (i think).

Would a VDA/VPC combination be able to handle such long interconnects? I realise there would be compromises, but just wondering if this would be a really bad idea?

thanks for the help.

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2005, 01:29 pm »
Would a VDA/VPC combination be able to handle such long interconnects? I realise there would be compromises, but just wondering if this would be a really bad idea?

It would depend on the amplifiers input impedance and capacitance of the cables, but not ideal regardless. A better solution would be to place the amplifiers near the passive (with short interconnects), and use longer speaker cables.

sas

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2005, 06:00 am »
thanks for the reply -- I thought as much.
When you say short interconnects, are we talking really short (like 50cm) or would something up to 2 metres be OK?

Next I'll ask you "how long is a piece of string?"  :oops:

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2005, 12:36 pm »
Quote from: sas
When you say short interconnects, are we talking really short (like 50cm) or would something up to 2 metres be OK?

2m is probably fine, what is the input impedance of your amplifier?

sas

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:19 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
Quote from: sas

2m is probably fine, what is the input impedance of your amplifier?

Thanks for the help.
The input impedence of my power amps are 44k ohms, and input sensitivity is 1.8v.
If I went the VPC/VDA route I would probably use DIY IC's using Belden 89259/Eichmann bullet plugs. Capacitance of the 89259 is rated at 17.3 pF per foot.
Hope that makes sense -- because to me they're just numbers...
 :?

CIAudio

VPC-2 Now Shipping!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2005, 04:58 pm »
The input impedence of my power amps are 44k ohms, and input sensitivity is 1.8v.
If I went the VPC/VDA route I would probably use DIY IC's using Belden 89259/Eichmann bullet plugs. Capacitance of the 89259 i ...

Should be fine, the Eichmann's are also very low capacitance