Sound meaning

who?me?

Re: Sound meaning
« Reply #80 on: 11 Feb 2018, 07:57 pm »
ok. I'll wait another 5 years and see where this goes. By that time cd's will be dead right? (or at least that's what they said 5 years ago). Then again in another 5 years I may be dead as well. As no forebears in my family lived pass 71, I've got a year left.

CDs are great in general, of course depends on the recording and how much compression the CD has,
but I still use them 90% of the time, mainly b/c I have such a good (old) CD player with an awesome
digital transport via SPDIF. Simaudio Equinox SE, it is 10-15 years old.

for example, I compared this Simaudio CD Transport output to an OPPO 95, 4 years ago.
The Sim blew it away, not even close.
Yes, the Oppo can do many things well, but IMO did not do anything "great" like the Sim.

The problem with streaming via USB from a computer/NAS is the quality of the USB transmission,
which has many inherent problems. The audio industry did not pick the USB as the best performer,
they picked it b/c it was readily available b/c the Industry Manufacturers chose this USB medium
to use ubiquitously in the tech industry.

Anyway, hope a little history helps. And will add that manufactures are still making quality CD Players,
eg, Hegel's "Mohican", $4k, runs 16/44 "redbook" CDs only, but does it incredibly well, just like the Simaudio i have.

arro222

Re: Sound meaning
« Reply #81 on: 12 Feb 2018, 12:42 am »
CDs are great in general, of course depends on the recording and how much compression the CD has,
but I still use them 90% of the time, mainly b/c I have such a good (old) CD player with an awesome
digital transport via SPDIF. Simaudio Equinox SE, it is 10-15 years old.

for example, I compared this Simaudio CD Transport output to an OPPO 95, 4 years ago.
The Sim blew it away, not even close.
Yes, the Oppo can do many things well, but IMO did not do anything "great" like the Sim.

The problem with streaming via USB from a computer/NAS is the quality of the USB transmission,
which has many inherent problems. The audio industry did not pick the USB as the best performer,
they picked it b/c it was readily available b/c the Industry Manufacturers chose this USB medium
to use ubiquitously in the tech industry.

Anyway, hope a little history helps. And will add that manufactures are still making quality CD Players,
eg, Hegel's "Mohican", $4k, runs 16/44 "redbook" CDs only, but does it incredibly well, just like the Simaudio i have.

The only reason to chase something else rather than cd play, is being able to choose and buy just the couple songs you want to hear. I'd pay 2 bucks per song rather than $12 for a complete cd and only liking a couple tracks.
I wonder if they'll ever come out with a "zip drive" player.
I have the jones for tubes  so a ARC vsi75 may itch that scratch. It has no input/output but with rca's. It's big brother the Gsi75 has everything but it is so large as to be a visual abomination to me. This is an integrated amp that has phono, dac and head phone along with a usb connect. It's face plate is as large as a computer screen.

I no longer play visual discs as all movies are streamed here. Until they hit upon an audiophile method of streaming, I'l stay pat and just plop discs in..

Can't I burn tracks onto a cd from my computer and then plop those into the player? A CD player could last forever this way till the next best thing comes along.