Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Airfla

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2160 on: 22 Jul 2017, 03:34 am »
I used to have this issue with my BDP-1. I setup a thumb drive as a "scratch drive" (see the Drives tab in the main dashboard). Then, the Manic Moose software won't run out of memory while processing the album art, as the thumb drive will host a swap file for the Linux operating system on your BDP-1.

An alternative is to disable album art processing, as Chris mentioned above.

Update: Issue Resolved

My friend followed your suggestion and DB sort completed without a problem and Album Art updated as well. Again, thank you from both me and my friend.

Hoiman

« Reply #2161 on: 22 Jul 2017, 08:20 am »
Is it possible that after a search, that you see where the music is comming from? I mean that you can see in which directory it is stored.

Krutsch

« Reply #2162 on: 29 Jul 2017, 11:25 pm »
We are back to the problem of ordering songs with more than 9 tracks. See attached image:

S2.35 2017-07-28
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

doveman

« Reply #2163 on: 30 Jul 2017, 05:43 am »
I have noticed that my BDP-1 is becoming extremely unstable, where I used to be able to leave it on 24/7 without issue, it now won't even go a day without locking up, sometimes within the first hour.

It is currently running S2.32 2017-02-01 Kernal 3.16-0.bpo.2-486.

I've also used the latest version S2.32 2017-06-20 with MPD 0.17.6, 0.18.21, and 0.19.21

It will work fine, then suddenly it will become unresponsive, to the front panel buttons, remote, or web login (but sometimes will still be playing music), and the only thing to do is push the power button, but this is frustrating as sometimes it will boot back up, and sometimes it will only give the dreaded error 09, and it takes a lot of fiddling to try to get it to work again, sometimes this takes hours of turning it off on, trying different compact flash cards, etc.

I'm not sure if it's the latest versions of manic moose causing this issue, or something else, I haven't really changed anything in my setup, same hard drives, etc.

Any ideas?

Marius

« Reply #2164 on: 30 Jul 2017, 09:59 am »
adding to the above poster about unstable bdp1: mine won't play at the moment... keeps saying MPD is turned off, while it is not, according to the Settings tab.

I've taken the jitterbug out again, to no avail, nothing will play. The DB is still loaded, i can browse the files, but after adding to a playlist and click play, nothing happens and BDP is stopped.

Remarkable: the red entries that were there for all HDD's are gone, only the front usb is shown  :scratch:
Chris, please help...

im figuring out whether inserting an Audioquest Jitterbug in my setup causes the BDP1 to flaw, or that its the latest firmware update. My ancient Macbook Pro has no issues reading the usb3 drive through the jitterbug.
Anyone with similar issues after updating firmware 7-28? http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm by Marius »

Pundamilia

« Reply #2165 on: 30 Jul 2017, 03:05 pm »
FWIW, I had similar issues with my BDP-1 locking up (with no Jitterbug). I never did get a satisfactory explanation. I moved to a BDP-2 and have never had the problem since, which leads me to believe that it may be a memory or processor overload issue. i seem to recall the memory utilization being 98% shortly before the BDP-1 hung.

zoom25

« Reply #2166 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:38 pm »
I've had this problem from time to time, regardless of the Jitterbug or not.

There have been times where I could load Manic Moose on my iMac to control the tracks, but the Logitech remote did not work even though I could see the LED blinking or responding. At the same time, the buttons would also be non responsive. In those cases, I usually have to wait 15-20 seconds for the track to load in and then the remote would also start working.

I run with the database disabled and all other services except for USB mount and MPD. I updated mine 2-3 weeks back. I don't know if there has been a recent release that made it worse?

The only error codes I got was voltage related. Twice over the period of 2 years being left on 24/7.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2167 on: 30 Jul 2017, 04:40 pm »
I have noticed that my BDP-1 is becoming extremely unstable, where I used to be able to leave it on 24/7 without issue, it now won't even go a day without locking up, sometimes within the first hour.

It is currently running S2.32 2017-02-01 Kernal 3.16-0.bpo.2-486.

I've also used the latest version S2.32 2017-06-20 with MPD 0.17.6, 0.18.21, and 0.19.21

It will work fine, then suddenly it will become unresponsive, to the front panel buttons, remote, or web login (but sometimes will still be playing music), and the only thing to do is push the power button, but this is frustrating as sometimes it will boot back up, and sometimes it will only give the dreaded error 09, and it takes a lot of fiddling to try to get it to work again, sometimes this takes hours of turning it off on, trying different compact flash cards, etc.

I'm not sure if it's the latest versions of manic moose causing this issue, or something else, I haven't really changed anything in my setup, same hard drives, etc.

Any ideas?

Is your music stored on USB drive or a network share? Does the display show a "U" in the lower left corner rather then a play symbol (triangle) when it freezes?  Is the bryston DB enabled in media player settings?

Marius

« Reply #2168 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:08 am »
Chris,

Where in the 28-7 beta firmware can i find the reset DB button? I need to restart building it because of changing the HDD's/network shares setup.

Somehow i can't rename my shares like before. In the MM interface I've browsed and installed 3 extra shares, pointing to subfolders of my Muziek folder in the Root of my NAS.

Previously i had a share and renamed it MP3 on Nas, while it original name in MM was Mp3 on HvDDiskStation.local.

My newly installed shares now in MM are of the Muziek//Pop on HvBDiskStation.local type. If i rename these to Pop on Nas, which is highly preferred, things go wrong.
Would really love to have the option back to rename these shares to something more user-friendly. How to proceed please? Editing the name in the MM interface won't work, neither does editing the NAS file in //User .

I would also like it very much if the _on_xxdrive could be left out in MM, but that's of secondary priority for me right now.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2017, 12:52 pm by Marius »

doveman

« Reply #2169 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:56 am »
Is your music stored on USB drive or a network share? Does the display show a "U" in the lower left corner rather then a play symbol (triangle) when it freezes?  Is the bryston DB enabled in media player settings?

Music is on a USB drive connected to the back lower port. The screen will freeze on whatever was last displayed, when it freezes you can push a front button to light up the screen but it won't change at all, i.e. if you push down it won't display IP number, but just still display the song. Also no it doesn't freeze with a U, it is normally just the STOP or PLAY symbol, although sometimes the first character is missing all together.

DB is not enabled I just use Mpod to control songs.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2170 on: 31 Jul 2017, 04:45 pm »
Chris,

Where in the 28-7 beta firmware can i find the reset DB button? I need to restart building it because of changing the HDD's/network shares setup.

Somehow i can't rename my shares like before. In the MM interface I've browsed and installed 3 extra shares, pointing to subfolders of my Muziek folder in the Root of my NAS.

Previously i had a share and renamed it MP3 on Nas, while it original name in MM was Mp3 on HvDDiskStation.local.

My newly installed shares now in MM are of the Muziek//Pop on HvBDiskStation.local type. If i rename these to Pop on Nas, which is highly preferred, things go wrong.
Would really love to have the option back to rename these shares to something more user-friendly. How to proceed please? Editing the name in the MM interface won't work, neither does editing the NAS file in //User .

I would also like it very much if the _on_xxdrive could be left out in MM, but that's of secondary priority for me right now.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

You should be able to change the server name field during setup without issue, however the path "music/pop" must be left as is.  I'm glad you brought this up, i to agree this is something we need to add as a feature.  I meant to move the buttons to be found under the Bryston DB section, but i guess i must have just removed them by accident.  You can use the below address to trigger an update until the next release.

http://bryston-bdp-1.local/mpd/dbreset.php

Marius

« Reply #2171 on: 1 Aug 2017, 05:46 am »
Hi Marius,

You should be able to change the server name field during setup without issue, however the path "music/pop" must be left as is.  I'm glad you brought this up, i to agree this is something we need to add as a feature.  I meant to move the buttons to be found under the Bryston DB section, but i guess i must have just removed them by accident.  You can use the below address to trigger an update until the next release.

http://bryston-bdp-1.local/mpd/dbreset.php

Thanks Chris, cool.
Any reason MM won't allow the use the .local instead of the ip address anymore? I always set my network devices to dynamic addresses, so don't really like being forced to use the fixed ip addresses.

So as not to confuse:

the .local naming would be preferred for localizing the server in the NAS setup interface, but not for the naming in MM interface.

I really think it is a pain to the eye in MM. Hope you would be willing to let us just name it Pop or what ever, and have a dedicated icon indicate the folder to be on a network share, instead of on a local drive. That way we could dispense of al the horrible underscores too...

OMT: it would be really nice if simply renaming the drive in MM wouldn't require a full DB update.... please take that up on the todo list for the next release too?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2172 on: 1 Aug 2017, 06:38 am »
Hi Chris,

Please let me comment on 2 interface issues I experience:

- you've implemented a dropdown alphablet to directly jump to a specific letter in the listing. I've never really felt any advantage of scrolling down this dropdown list above scrolling down the listing itself. Even on my BDP1, with rather a large listing here and there, there is no speed advantage. Rather, it clutters the view. On the mobile interface that clutter is even worse. I for one wouldn't mind it gone in the interface.

- in the last betas you've added a Drop down menu in Mediaplayer settings to select sub categories rather than everything in one giant list. I understand you want to service the enduser and not force scrolling a long list. But now we still have to scroll, and select the various subsections. This has unexpected/wanted behavior in the various platforms, and doesn't really add to the clarity of the interface. Especially so on smaller screens like the mobile phone. I didn't really mind scrolling the longer list. Happens only once in a while after all. If you must cut it up, why wouldn't you implement 4 separate sections instead of the current opening and closing and following sliding up and down. A lot of visual distraction and unease, while before one could find what one is looking for just in one swipe

Btw, It's this same behavior that's so confusing in the Artist view of the library. Maybe even more so, since not all available submenus are always in first sight, and one has to scroll to see them anyway.... Especially when one or more of the subsections is/are opened.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2173 on: 1 Aug 2017, 04:15 pm »
Chris,

A Bryston DB is detected. Since you said some feedback was provided in the error messages, i clicked, et voila, this it the result.

Now what does that mean ;-)
Would be cool if these messages were a bit more precise about location and reason of the error occurring to this album. It happens have several Pangaea files..Not knowing what to look for makes it hard to lift and prevent the error.

Cheers,
Marius

Pundamilia

« Reply #2174 on: 1 Aug 2017, 05:00 pm »
- you've implemented a dropdown alphablet to directly jump to a specific letter in the listing. I've never really felt any advantage of scrolling down this dropdown list above scrolling down the listing itself. Even on my BDP1, with rather a large listing here and there, there is no speed advantage. Rather, it clutters the view. On the mobile interface that clutter is even worse. I for one wouldn't mind it gone in the interface.

I beg to differ. I find the dropdown alphabet useful and quicker than scrolling through the whole list. I would advocate for retaining this feature - particularly since the code is already there - and it is working!  :wink:

Marius

« Reply #2175 on: 2 Aug 2017, 06:15 am »
I beg to differ. I find the dropdown alphabet useful and quicker than scrolling through the whole list. I would advocate for retaining this feature - particularly since the code is already there - and it is working!  ;)

Cool, to each their own. I'll just refrain from using it.

A better search function would be kind of helpful though, in Default view that is. Comparing the search box in artist view, which is almost immediate while you type, with the default view finder, which takes forever, underlines my point. I'd love the functionality of Artist view in default view.

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2176 on: 2 Aug 2017, 08:49 am »
Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to have the tidal integration/suggestions in MM be optional. All sorts of album suggestions flying by that i don't need/want. Might also be taking up scarce bdp1 resources....

I don't have tidal, won't be soon as things stand, and could do without the suggestions MM is throwing at me lately. Please optionalize Tidal.

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2177 on: 2 Aug 2017, 11:38 am »
I beg to differ. I find the dropdown alphabet useful and quicker than scrolling through the whole list.   :wink:

+1 keep the dropdown. It's essential with v.l. libraries.

Krutsch

« Reply #2178 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:16 pm »
We are back to the problem of ordering songs with more than 9 tracks. See attached image:

S2.35 2017-07-28
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
COPYRIGHT BRYSTON LTD. 2010

This issue seems to be with the new Dashboard view AND the Default View. With the Artist View, the track ordering is correct, as seen with the same album in the image below:

Marius

« Reply #2179 on: 2 Aug 2017, 03:24 pm »
+1 keep the dropdown. It's essential with v.l. libraries.

HI Pete,
Just out of curiosity, please define v.l.

One of my longer lists /folder structures is about 109 entries. Very manageable without the dropdown.
Cheers,Marius