8" fullrange options for upper half of slot loaded open baffle...

Chops

I am in the process of gathering information, ideas and parts for Nelson Pass' slot loaded open baffle. I've already ordered a lot of twelve 8" Peerless India 12 ohm drivers. Now I'm looking for fullrange drivers for the top end.

So far, these are options. I have no clue about their sound but these are about the price limits I am willing to spend at this point. They range between $50 ea all the way up to about $130 ea.

Fostex FE206En
Fostex FF225WK
Seas FA22RCZ
Hemptone FR8
Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast Frame
Audio Nirvana Super 10 Cast Frame (just for fun)
Wild Burro Betsy
Wild Burro Betsy-K (more efficient)

Visaton B200 - I have this one separate from the list because I'm not sure of the price or where I can buy them. I think they are a bit high though, possibly around $200 each from what I saw somewhere on the net... I think.

Keep in mind, these will be going on an open baffle and crossed over upwards of 100Hz, and possibly up to 200Hz, but I doubt it. I don't want to extend the Peerless woofers to the point of getting the resonance of the slot active.

If you guys have any other 8" fullrange suggestions, please feel free to let me know. As long as the price is within reason, I'm willing to entertain those options as well.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2012, 07:22 pm by opnly bafld »

acresm22

Chops, you might want to ask Nelson Pass about his experience with the L. Cao full range 8"ers. He posted some favorable comments on another site. I have no experience with them, but the L.Cao 8" alnico full rangers are available on ebay for $350/pair or thereabouts.
Again, I've not heard them so can't comment directly.

Chops

I have a pair of the Planet 10 modified drivers I would sell for $150 + shipping and a pair of stock drivers I would sell for $100 + shipping.

Lin

I'll definitely keep those in mind. And these are the B200's you're referring to, correct?

Chops

Chops, you might want to ask Nelson Pass about his experience with the L. Cao full range 8"ers. He posted some favorable comments on another site. I have no experience with them, but the L.Cao 8" alnico full rangers are available on ebay for $350/pair or thereabouts.
Again, I've not heard them so can't comment directly.

I've never heard of those before. Just spent a few minutes looking them up on eBay. Those are some very interesting, well made looking drivers. I might have to seriously consider them, either the 6" or 8" version.

Thanks for the heads-up on those!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2012, 07:21 pm by opnly bafld »

acresm22

If you do get them, I'd be very curious to hear your impressions as I've been considering them as well.
Nelson has firsthand experience with the L.Cao drivers, though I think he was using the ceramic magnet version.

Guy 13

I've never heard of those before. Just spent a few minutes looking them up on eBay. Those are some very interesting, well made looking drivers. I might have to seriously consider them, either the 6" or 8" version.

Thanks for the heads-up on those!

Hi Chops and all Audio Circle members.
How about the Tang Band full range 8 inches  Model W8-1808 (Made in Taiwan).
Can be purchase from Parts Express.
Never heard one.
Guy 13

Chops

How about the Tang Band full range 8 inches  Model W8-1808 (Made in Taiwan).
Can be purchase from Parts Express.
Never heard one.
Guy 13

Hello Guy,

Was looking through a thread or webpage, can't remember which, but had you with a few different versions of Danny's large OB's. Really nice work you do.

Anyway, I looked at the TB drivers, but at $250 each, they're a bit out of my range for this project.

Guy 13

Hello Guy,

Was looking through a thread or webpage, can't remember which, but had you with a few different versions of Danny's large OB's. Really nice work you do.

Anyway, I looked at the TB drivers, but at $250 each, they're a bit out of my range for this project.

I own a pair of Audio Nirvana 8 inch full range drivers (Standard 8 - 128USD/pair/I paid a lot less a few years back.) bought them from David Dick from Common Sense Audio.

I drove them in an Open Baffle configuration with a Decware SE-84C+ SET (2wpc) and like many 8" full range drivers, the highs don't go too high, the bass is almost none existant  and the mids are shouty, but I must say: with details and some presence.

My listening room did not help the deceeving performances, because it was very reflective.

But for the money and as an entry level driver to experiment and have an idea what OB and full range combo sounds like, it a good purchase.

Once I am back in Canada, I will do more experiments, which means I am keeping them and they are not for sale, well until I do some experiements with the Tang band W8-1808.

By the way, I will do more different versions of Danny's V-1 and V-2 when time and money permit.

Have a nice day
and good luck in your search for the ideal 8" full range.

Guy 13 

Pchelac

Wild Burro rules!For the money, of course...I have BetsyK.

Chops

I own a pair of Audio Nirvana 8 inch full range drivers (Standard 8 - 128USD/pair/I paid a lot less a few years back.) bought them from David Dick from Common Sense Audio.

I drove them in an Open Baffle configuration with a Decware SE-84C+ SET (2wpc) and like many 8" full range drivers, the highs don't go too high, the bass is almost none existant  and the mids are shouty, but I must say: with details and some presence.

My listening room did not help the deceeving performances, because it was very reflective.

But for the money and as an entry level driver to experiment and have an idea what OB and full range combo sounds like, it a good purchase.

Once I am back in Canada, I will do more experiments, which means I am keeping them and they are not for sale, well until I do some experiements with the Tang band W8-1808.

By the way, I will do more different versions of Danny's V-1 and V-2 when time and money permit.

Have a nice day
and good luck in your search for the ideal 8" full range.

Guy 13

Hello Guy,

I'm very familiar with the OB sound which is why this is my third project and building an OB system, this time an entire speaker system as an OB, not just the bass section or just the top section.

I'm looking for crisp, detailed highs, natural mids without the "shout", and just an overall realistic sound reproduction with a nice, smooth frequency response.

As it sits right now, I'm very seriously considering those L.Cao drivers. It has been said that they have very good treble, smoother and more refined than the Visaton B200's. Although, for an offer that I have on a pair of B200's at the moment, I might go with them instead just to get this project rolling. If I want to, I can later upgrade to the L.Cao drivers.

Still thinking what to do...

panomaniac

Get the Seas FA22RCZ, you won't be disappointed.  Everyone I've talked to who owns it, loves it.  It even measures nice. :)

scorpion

I am going to wet your tounge also.

I think the Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" is the absolutely best buy for You.

Beware how you enter it. But soundwise I don't think you could do better.

/Erling

panomaniac

I got to see the prototype of that driver as it came out of the box.  It had just come back to P.E. from Klippel testing.
Beautiful driver.  Never did get to hear it, tho, or it's 6.5" little brother. :(   Would love to.

Chops

Get the Seas FA22RCZ, you won't be disappointed.  Everyone I've talked to who owns it, loves it.  It even measures nice. :)

Those Seas drivers are good looking, and have a healthy 6mm of x-max. I need to look up reviews and/or projects using them to see what people are saying.

Chops

I am going to wet your tounge also.

I think the Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" is the absolutely best buy for You.

Beware how you enter it. But soundwise I don't think you could do better.

/Erling

"Beware how you enter it"?...

Have you heard these drivers? If so, what kind of correction circuitry was involved and how did they compare to other drivers?

Poultrygeist

I have the Tang Band W8-1808/Alpha H-frames and WBL Betsy's/Alphas  powered by SET/SS amps and while the Betsys are fun and enjoyable the TB's are in another league.

I really like the looks of the Daytons and hope to try a pair. They are certainly priced more reasonably than the TB's.

Chops

I would really like to try a pair of the Dayton's as well. The price is right, have decent x-max and are said to have excellent treble extension. It just scares me about the rough frequency response and that jagged top end. If I KNOW that there's a fix for those issues that don't kill the liveliness and efficiency of the driver, then I will definitely go for them.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

scorpion

Richard had a thread about them when he used them instead of Visaton B200.
No I have not heard them but there was a favorable test in German Hobby HiFi indicating great potential.
First I think I would hear them unaltered. If they are to incisive I think a BSC-circuit 12 ohms and 1 mH would be a good bet.

/Erling