The Skinny 6's sound great.

Danny Richie

The Skinny 6's sound great.
« on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:29 pm »
I finally got back on the Skinny 6's project. I don't have the bases on them yet, but I do have a pair up and playing. And they really do sound incredible. The vocal region will rival just about anything at any price point. In that range, they really are that good.

These things are the imaging and sound stage masters. With next to nothing for surface reflections there is little to no perception of sound coming directly from the speaker itself. And the rear firing driver gives the music the in the room with you feel much like an open baffle speaker.

The rear firing driver only covers the upper ranges so as not to cause any comb filtering effects with the front facing drivers. And the upper driver crosses to the four below using a low order crossover and crossing at 340Hz.

-3db down point is 70Hz. And above that range the bass response is very tight and fast. And they handle power really well too.

The limited dispersion of the 3" driver (compared to a dome tweeter) make these speakers ideal for overly bright or untreated rooms. They are also ideal for near field listening or small rooms. They can even be placed fairly close to the front wall.

These are great home theater speakers for a small rooms or un-treated rooms.

I will be offering the whole kit with everything including tube connectors and floor spikes for $699 a pair. That includes everything but the  cabinets. And these are easy to build from just 1/2" thick MDF. That boxes are well braced and rock solid. No resonance issues at all, just really clean sound.

Cabinet plans are here: http://gr-research.com/pdf/Skinny%206%20box.pdf
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2017, 05:54 pm by Danny Richie »

Wind Chaser

Re: The skinny 6's sound great.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:17 pm »
These look like something that might work well in my very odd room.

Lined with No Rez?

How efficient are they?

Could one forgo the vents without issue?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:51 pm »
These look like something that might work well in my very odd room.

Lined with No Rez?

How efficient are they?

Could one forgo the vents without issue?

This pair is lined with No Rez but I haven't found it to be as big of an improvement in the LGK 1.0's and I'd have to say that in this model the improvement from No Rez would be subtle compared to larger speakers.

They have 87db sensitivity.

I'd leave the ports to keep the low end output level up. They don't move much air through them so they will not be a problem even if placed close to a wall.

brother love

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm »
Love the name Skinny 6's !   :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:21 pm »
Why not add a tweeter in there?

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:45 pm »
How do they compare to the Wedgies?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm »
Why not add a tweeter in there?

Why? They play to 20kHz.

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:59 pm »
you mentioned the limited off axisc dispersion and are ideal for untreated room. My room is slightly treat and wouldnt you benifit from a better off axis upper ends?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:09 am »
How do they compare to the Wedgies?

The wedgies use four drivers in series parallel to bring the sensitivity up higher. And running four of them together means you have to go with a separate tweeter. And they are all in an open baffle. So that is another big advantage to the Wedgies. Apples and Oranges. Different applications.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:51 am »
Well, I'm setting a goal for my next speaker building, so I got to check in on what I'll be doing. Unfortunately I think I have to move soon due to a landlord not informing me that my residence was a meth house. (the only thing the landlord had to do, and didn't)

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:51 am »
you mentioned the limited off axisc dispersion and are ideal for untreated room. My room is slightly treat and wouldnt you benifit from a better off axis upper ends?

The controlled dispersion just minimizes the side wall reflections. The upper end extension is still there and very good. Plus this design has a rear firing driver as well. So they have a spacious and more transparent top end than most speakers.

My room is REALLY well treated, but I am grinning from ear to ear listening to these speakers. Just fantastic imaging.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2015, 01:45 am »
Danny,

Could you compare these to the LGK 1.0's and the N3's?

I realize the N3's will whomp the Skinny 6's in low end extension but other than that, how do they compare?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:05 am »
Danny,

Could you compare these to the LGK 1.0's and the N3's?

I realize the N3's will whomp the Skinny 6's in low end extension but other than that, how do they compare?

The Skinny 6's are more like the LGK's, and not too much like the N3's. The Skinny 6's edge the N3 in the vocal region, with imaging, and transparency. The N3's will play louder, lower, and have a faster and cleaner top end.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:18 am »
Maybe a new thread would be in order, but your comparison between these and the N3 is why I was curious when I read in the thread you made about your bedroom home theater about the combination of the LGK and the M165 in an open baffle.

I've been wondering for a while if such a combination (or even the LGK with the new OB driver you had done that hasn't been introduced to a kit yet) would deliver all but the top end of the Neo3 to compare with the N3?  Kind of a step between the skinny 6 and the N3 - the point source imaging of the LGK able to move enough air with the larger woofers to fill in the body that the N1/N2/N3 have in the midrange?  Also, a build that could deliver OB sound end to end in the frequency range without needing the more complex baffle of the Super-7, making something DIY friendly?

I know they didn't work out as well in your HT setup, but what did you think of that combination otherwise?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:31 pm »
Maybe a new thread would be in order, but your comparison between these and the N3 is why I was curious when I read in the thread you made about your bedroom home theater about the combination of the LGK and the M165 in an open baffle.

I've been wondering for a while if such a combination (or even the LGK with the new OB driver you had done that hasn't been introduced to a kit yet) would deliver all but the top end of the Neo3 to compare with the N3?  Kind of a step between the skinny 6 and the N3 - the point source imaging of the LGK able to move enough air with the larger woofers to fill in the body that the N1/N2/N3 have in the midrange?  Also, a build that could deliver OB sound end to end in the frequency range without needing the more complex baffle of the Super-7, making something DIY friendly?

I know they didn't work out as well in your HT setup, but what did you think of that combination otherwise?

I tried a single LGK in an open baffle but didn't get the response I was looking for with the baffle I was testing with. I may revisit it again. Just a single unit with four standard M-165's below it in an open baffle might be a good combo and play down low enough to reach a sub.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2015, 05:33 pm »
Guys, I have been letting these burn in by playing a large file of just female artists that I enjoy listening to and often demo with. Man, these speakers are perfect for this type of music. The handle the vocal ranges beautifully.  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:05 pm »
I tried a single LGK in an open baffle but didn't get the response I was looking for with the baffle I was testing with. I may revisit it again. Just a single unit with four standard M-165's below it in an open baffle might be a good combo and play down low enough to reach a sub.

Wouldn't the N165NQ's work better in an OB arrangement?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:10 pm »
Danny,

How much do the two completed speakers weigh? [I'm still undecided on which speakers I'll have in Taiwan, but these seem like possible candidates.] My room in Taiwan is cement, cement, and more cement thrown in for good measure plus the floor has engineered wood on top of..you guessed it...more cement.

Michael

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:23 pm »
Now, about a matching center channel ...

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:47 pm »
Wouldn't the N165NQ's work better in an OB arrangement?

Yeah, but for just 300Hz and down the standard M-165 version will be fine and they are less than 1/3rd the price of the NQ. They will just need an inline filter to roll off the bottom end.