Any bass players?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Any bass players?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2013, 12:21 am »
I was told once you play in a Novax scale, you wont get return to a regular scale.
There is a effortless playing.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:00 am »
Just bought a red Fender Precision Bass (Squier model) for $100. I'll be picking it up in a few days. Great deal I think. Barely used.

I had to stop playing the guitar for a minute because that first month and a half I was playing A LOT of guitar and I don't think my hand was quite ready for that(fingering hand). Started to hurt so I stopped.

But everything's fine now and I'm ready to dive back in. Hopefully the bass will really strengthen my hands up, and I'm looking forward to learning both at the same time.

It'll be fun to play guitar parts in rocksmith then plug in the bass and do that too.

Fun.

WireNut

« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:10 am »
Only WannaBe Bass players. Missed my calling 30 years ago  :bawl:
Still wanna take it up at 55  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:17 am by WireNut »

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:17 am »
Hey I just saw Gordon Lightfoot on Conan with his band, so anything's possible  :) Get a copy of Rocksmith for your PC or console and get a cheap guitar, it's a blast.

WireNut

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:23 am »
Gawd, playing the drums in a rock band locally in the 80's was awesome. Best time of my life.
Dam,I seriously miss those day's. It was one of the best time of my life. Wish I could bring it back.
Sex,drums,groupies,rock and roll,yeah it was fun. 
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:17 am by WireNut »

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2013, 01:40 am »
A good friend of mine, Ricky Mahler was in a Band called Circus of Power that was from New York back in the 80's...did you ever see or hear of them?

Jim

WireNut

« Reply #26 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:01 am »
A good friend of mine, Ricky Mahler was in a Band called Circus of Power that was from New York back in the 80's...did you ever see or hear of them?
Jim

medium jim, no I played Ohio, Indiana, KY, bars back in the 80's. gawd, seriously so much fun. Chick's, party's, rock and roll, I was only 20. Dam that was fun. Being a drummer even in a local band was a blast. 
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:16 am by WireNut »

medium jim

« Reply #27 on: 15 Apr 2013, 02:12 am »
I'm sure they played in Cinncy when they went on your to promote their albums...one went platinum.

Jim

WireNut

« Reply #28 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:45 am »
 Spyro Gyra played an outdoor venue here once. Their bass player was excellent.

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:14 am by WireNut »

WireNut

« Reply #29 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:40 am »
 :guitar:
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 10:15 am by WireNut »

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:30 am »
Came home with the bass today. It's much nicer than I thought it was going to be. The Fender P bass is pretty substantial and the strings are like monstrous gondola cables compared to the 9's on my guitar. Haven't plugged it in but it has a nice, meaty tone. Doesn't buzz at all when you snap the strings, just sounds like pure awesomeness.The bridge and keys/headstock are also pretty burly. The headstock is enormous, actually. Dwarfs my Ibanez electric guitar's headstock. I've held a bass before (different brand) but I don't remember it being as big as this Fender.

I'm really digging it so far. Red.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2013, 09:09 pm »
Me new bass mounted up. Love that I have both now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2013, 09:18 pm »
Beautiful Precision, great sound with this central pickup.

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2013, 09:22 pm »
It's so fun to just slap the strings around. You can really just grab at them and maul them, pull them off hard. Very unlike the guitar.

Vic

« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:40 am »
I'm too late.

At the end of your original post you suggested a possible interest in Double Bass. My strong suggestion would have been to take a class or better yet, find a Bass Viol teacher before doing anything else.

Beginning with the Double Bass would force your ear to plug into your left hand while at the same time your right hand forces the brain to concentrate on a third task, the bow. Right about now the slab players are rolling their eyes at how senseless all this seems. During this raw initiation you will also begin the fundamentals of sight reading of scales. In essence you would be learning a combination of skills at the same time that simply gets easier and easier by as much time you put into it. Reading is the key that allows you to play in many different musical idioms.

From the Upright Bass the move to fretless electric fretted or fretless Bass can be quite easy.

The left hand of a Bass player has very little in common with that of playing Guitar.

Regarding equipment. There isn't much difference than HiFi, everybody has their favorite noise maker. As a working Musician I have to actually carry this crap.

In 1962 I constructed my first high powered (actually loud) Bass amp. DIY JBL 15" scoops powered with Marantz 8Bs and a Fender Twin Reverb preamp section. A cumbersome large system that I used until the acoustic 360/361 was introduced. Followed by an Ampeg SVT one tone POS, and on to modular systems.

Currently I have a new acoustic USA 360/361 that I rarely use, too big. My working rig is an Avalon U5 into an Acoustic Image Focus 2R and outboard amp (someone said cheap class D?) into a variety of Bergantino, Bag End, and custom Tone Tubby cabinets. Thanks to cheap class D I can hand carry (no dolly) an Upright Bass, amp, and a 12" wedge cabinet in one trip from the car. Keep in mind the tone is in the fingers, not the amp.

Take a lesson.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:40 am »
Billy Sheehan once said to a magazine he is owned by the music.
The musician already born knowing who wants to be a musician.
My friend Pedro is a part time bass player, he said when dont play for some 3 days he gets nervous, drooling for lack of the music.
His late father also has a bass player electric and double bass at the local symphonic.

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 25 Apr 2013, 03:48 am »
The best bassist's have light touch. Just because the strings are fatter, doesn't mean you have manhandle them. Just look and listen to Esparanza Spalding, Nathan East, Lee Sklar, John Entwhistle to name a few.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:55 am »
One of my good friends is a frontman in a band, and he gets to tour around a lot. Not huge shows or anything, but they've done shows as far as Colorado and they've managed to keep their heads above water, so at least they're having fun.

The other day he jokingly asked, when are you going to be good enough that I can take you on the road? I wouldn't lie but it would be fun to play at least one show or just do one song in front of a crowd.

Anyway so he knows I'm practicing bass now too and I asked him, what's more important, that I practice guitar or bass, and he said guitar, anyone can play bass.

Even if that's true... so far I am loving the bass, it's different and a nice way to switch up from guitar, and visa versa. I see no reason why someone can't pursue both.

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:03 am »
I'm too late.

At the end of your original post you suggested a possible interest in Double Bass. My strong suggestion would have been to take a class or better yet, find a Bass Viol teacher before doing anything else.

Beginning with the Double Bass would force your ear to plug into your left hand while at the same time your right hand forces the brain to concentrate on a third task, the bow. Right about now the slab players are rolling their eyes at how senseless all this seems. During this raw initiation you will also begin the fundamentals of sight reading of scales. In essence you would be learning a combination of skills at the same time that simply gets easier and easier by as much time you put into it. Reading is the key that allows you to play in many different musical idioms.

From the Upright Bass the move to fretless electric fretted or fretless Bass can be quite easy.

The left hand of a Bass player has very little in common with that of playing Guitar.

Regarding equipment. There isn't much difference than HiFi, everybody has their favorite noise maker. As a working Musician I have to actually carry this crap.

In 1962 I constructed my first high powered (actually loud) Bass amp. DIY JBL 15" scoops powered with Marantz 8Bs and a Fender Twin Reverb preamp section. A cumbersome large system that I used until the acoustic 360/361 was introduced. Followed by an Ampeg SVT one tone POS, and on to modular systems.

Currently I have a new acoustic USA 360/361 that I rarely use, too big. My working rig is an Avalon U5 into an Acoustic Image Focus 2R and outboard amp (someone said cheap class D?) into a variety of Bergantino, Bag End, and custom Tone Tubby cabinets. Thanks to cheap class D I can hand carry (no dolly) an Upright Bass, amp, and a 12" wedge cabinet in one trip from the car. Keep in mind the tone is in the fingers, not the amp.

Take a lesson.   

I love everything you typed. Let me look for a deal on these instruments.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm »

Anyway so he knows I'm practicing bass now too and I asked him, what's more important, that I practice guitar or bass, and he said guitar, anyone can play bass.

Real bass players would disagree.