I don't wanna work

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: I don't wanna work
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:36 pm »
Can't wait....should be real eye opening.  Wonder how PDR feels about it!

Jim

Opinions are like as....er....bellybuttons, I have one as well..... :wink:

Because I've been married twice I've had kids....my own...around me for 32 yrs, my youngest is 15.
Music is huge in our lives, so I've been introduced to new stuff through the kids all these years.
Some I like, some I hate. I wish they take those things out of their ears, but the important part is they listen.

My oldest son was into goth, he grew out of it, thank god, but I tried to listen to it with him. He'd tell me listen to this....that part was cool, etc. Later his music tastes changed and he'd come over and say listen to this......often we'd compare what he was listening to, to what I was listening too. This happened over the years.

What I found over the years was that as his tastes changed, so did mine, we both evolved. Now when he comes over we will sit and listen to all kinds of music, it cool cause we compare notes and remember the old days when we really liked this, or really liked that.

The bands come and go, drummers, guitar players, vocalists....so do my tastes, I dont listen much to Rush or Zep anymore, but I hear their influences in todays music. Wonder what todays artists will influence in the future bands.....

Hes beating on the bongos like a chimpanzee.....that aint workin, thats the way to do it.

medium jim

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:42 pm »
Hate to say it but the best rock drummers of today smoke those guys.

RClark, what bothers most of us is your blanket indictment and then you go on about how your generation of drummers are plain superior and that time marches on.   I guess as you progress in age that you will learn that in every generation there will be true musical genius.   It is more about talent, finesse, touch, musicality than just being fast and powerful....and that applies to all instruments.

A good example is Allman Brothers Live at The Fillmore East on Whipping Post and Duane is doing this sweet little fills behind Dicky and bring up the hair on the back of your neck.  Or on Billy Cobham's Spectrum when he and the late great Tommy Bolin are trading riffs between drums and guitar. it even gets better when Jan Hammer joins the fun...there are moments like that, that are what true musical genious is about, at least to me anyway.

So maybe instead of diminishing the talents of those who walked before you, embrace them and learn from them, that is what musicians do.  It doesn't make them better, just with more ideas to draw from.   

Buddy Rich is still relevant and still one of the best drummers to walk on the face of the earth....heck, I remember watching him on the Johnny Carson show when he was in his late 60's or maybe early 70's and was still on the top of his game.   

Maybe it is you who needs to calm down and smell the roses so to speak and stop walking on water. 

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:51 pm »
Gentlemen, please.
It was just meant to shed a little light on your favorites, not who's the best as there is no such thing.
I always really liked Gene Krupa and still do to this day.  He had that jungle beat thing going which makes his music so much fun to listen to.

medium jim

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:52 pm »
Gentlemen, please.
It was just meant to shed a little light on your favorites, not who's the best as there is no such thing.
I always really liked Gene Krupa and still do to this day.  He had that jungle beat thing going which makes his music so much fun to listen to.

Steve, you're right....

Jim

decal

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
Some folks on this forum always seem to get into pissing contests with other members, then they go as far to chastise people who question them about something they post.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:32 pm »
One terrific drummer we could consider modern/contemporary is Danny Carey - a serious student of some of the greats mentioned thus far, as well as other unmentioned greats (and theory, in general). Danny is skilled and creative.

You should check out Terry Bozzio's current kit. :D
http://terrybozzio.com/kit-setup/

:o  :o  :o

WOW! Amazing drum kit!  :thumb:

Wonder how long it would take to get that thing set up to his satisfaction?  :scratch:

Rclark

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:55 pm »
Danny Walker can play a different rythym with each appendage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lfJSBcMiU

and with complex beat timings... double bass drum. His band Intronaut just wrapped up opening for Tool..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsEuDGVdOI

^ again, polyrythmic double bass going on below at seperate rythyms. So much added complexity.

You're the one who questioned my opinion and then asked me for proof, thinking I couldn't provide any. Don't bash me when I bring the goods. You know it.

Again, what I said was, not taking anything away from the old drummers, but they are no longer the greatest. I didn't say I don't enjoy them. The music they made was awesome, they were after all, at one point, the greatest.

..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhjnDzLCiWA

JoshK

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:25 pm »
One terrific drummer we could consider modern/contemporary is Danny Carey - a serious student of some of the greats mentioned thus far, as well as other unmentioned greats (and theory, in general). Danny is skilled and creative.

You should check out Terry Bozzio's current kit. :D
http://terrybozzio.com/kit-setup/

+1

JoshK

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:33 pm »
  It is more about talent, finesse, touch, musicality than just being fast and powerful....and that applies to all instruments.

Amen.  While the technical aspects of drumming are impressive, I don't think I've ever listened to a technical fast powerful drum solo and rocked out to it.  It more reminds me of a musician jerking off. 

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:45 pm »
If you don't see the exquisite finesse, I can't help you there.

JoshK

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:46 pm »
I am not a drummer, but I find of rock bands I really like a common element to them all generally is a great rhythm section.   For instance, I only ever liked early smashing pumpkins, as I am not a big Billy Corban fan, but I am a big Jimmy Chamberlain fan (amazing drummer IMO).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Chamberlin

Danny Carey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Carey

Some of the most powerful drumming I've seen live was Nine Inch Nails (who have an amazing live drummer or two depending on the setup) touring with David Bowie back in '94 or so.   They did an overlap and rather than one band finish and the other start, they morphed and have two bands on-stage for a few songs together and they had 3 drummers.  It was mind boggling but also moving and powerful and rhythmic.   It wasn't musical jerking off, it was musical engagement. 

medium jim

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:00 pm »
I'm going toss out one more, Pete Thomas who was Elvis Costello's Drummer for many a year....he is now in my friend Val McCallum's Band, Jackshit....Pete can put down a beat like no other, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIvoYyzm8k

BTW, I hope SteveFord enjoys this as he likes Gibson Firebirds....

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jan 2013, 07:26 pm »
I am not a drummer, but I find of rock bands I really like a common element to them all generally is a great rhythm section.   For instance, I only ever liked early smashing pumpkins, as I am not a big Billy Corban fan, but I am a big Jimmy Chamberlain fan (amazing drummer IMO).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Chamberlin

Danny Carey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Carey

Some of the most powerful drumming I've seen live was Nine Inch Nails (who have an amazing live drummer or two depending on the setup) touring with David Bowie back in '94 or so.   They did an overlap and rather than one band finish and the other start, they morphed and have two bands on-stage for a few songs together and they had 3 drummers.  It was mind boggling but also moving and powerful and rhythmic.   It wasn't musical jerking off, it was musical engagement.

Very familiar with Jimmy. I have all SP's albums, but I never listen to them. Smashing Pumpkins would be a million times better with a lead singer (about to get seriously flamed). Billy Corgan should have been strictly lead guitarist/songwriter and then STFU.

Tool.. I tried. But every song sounds the same to me, the same plodding beat, and the lyrics make you want to off yourself.

Chazro

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm »
Happy New Year to all!  Always interesting to read about music people are passionate about.  IMO whenever the discussion begins to veer into the 'who's better' territory, it's usually an indicator of youth.  Doesn't mean someone's right or wrong, good or bad, it just shows passion which is never a bad thing.  Another interesting thing (to me) is how positively caucasian the majority of these picks are!;)  Except for Cobham & Chambers it's a pretty bleached-out list!  Guess white boys DO have rythym!;)  For the record, I'm a blue-eyed, white, NYRican.  I can make a list of phenomenal white and/or black drummers as I'm sure we all could.  Allow me to throw in 2 of the greatest Latino drummers of all time, both at the peak of their game right now:

Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_ebIE4MVST0

Dafnis Prieto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GkPDKtGHxNo

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #54 on: 1 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm »
Santana always had good drummers in his bands but for me it would have to be the first 5 drummers in Spinal Tap.
They gave it their all.

I saw 10cc back in the 70s and Kevin Godley was really good - they had two drummers going but I'm not sure who the other one was.
Rob Ellis from early PJ Harvey is pretty commanding, too. 

That guy on the Firebird is pretty good.  Just watching you can see how hard those suckers are to play because they're about as long as a Harley V-Rod. 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #55 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm »
When trying to separate the very good from the truly great ask yourself this question, did he or she change the way the instrument is played? That cuts it down to Gene Krupa, Elvin Jones, Jon Bonham, Steve Gadd and very few others.

Doc

drumzncarz

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm »
Bozzio, Cobham, Carmine Appice, Donati, Palmer, Paice, Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, Cozy Powell, Tommy Aldridge, Kupa, Elvin Jones,  Dennis Chambers - Best drummer ever !

medium jim

« Reply #57 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:14 pm »
Santana always had good drummers in his bands but for me it would have to be the first 5 drummers in Spinal Tap.
They gave it their all.

I saw 10cc back in the 70s and Kevin Godley was really good - they had two drummers going but I'm not sure who the other one was.
Rob Ellis from early PJ Harvey is pretty commanding, too. 

That guy on the Firebird is pretty good.  Just watching you can see how hard those suckers are to play because they're about as long as a Harley V-Rod.

Val is a moster player....I love where he grabs for the missing tremolo bar....his tone is to die for. 

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #58 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:17 pm »
I think a theme is developing, there are many great drummers....no best, but on my short list is Calaiuta, Chambers, Cobham...gee another theme,  8)  Okay, Vinny, Dennis, Billy!

Jim

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm »
Earl Palmer one solid hitter. Mr. Backbeat.
Gene Krupa got me interested when I was a kid
Steve Gadd loved his work with Steely Dan
Kurt Sodergren Voodoo Daddys drummer= awesome!

wish I could still sit down at a kit and play...