The Guitar Thread

steve in jersey

Re: The Guitar Thread
« Reply #80 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:59 pm »
This is my Taylor 914c (pre-NT neck):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCVBq4Ilcec

This is my classical, light as air and possibly built by Vicente Carrillo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmrvNjLFAI

Sorry about all the fumbling...I can't find those little dots anywhere. :)

~Greg

Greg, never mind the "fumbling"(or as pianists like to call them "clams") I like to call them the "human factor" of playing music at the "musicians" level. That you are able  continue the correct flow of notes in the following bars tell me "you've played this instrument" long enough to respect what playing music requires.

It always cracks me up when I hear someone complain about the sound of fingers sliding over strings when acoustic guitarists have to reach for notes a few frets from where they're playing. My niece made this comment to a few years (10 yrs ago now) when she decided to learn to play Electric Bass. After she started playing it became more clear to her why there was sound.

I'm guessing the Classical guitar has a Cedar soundboard (can't tell fron lighting) & has a "Spanish Cedar"(I'm not sure this is the same Cedar used for "Tops/SBs" neck & may use a "Ramirez" fan bracing scheme on the top. If the instrument is as old as you think it is I'm not surprised that it feels that light because it is. The fan bracing & the use of hide glue add almost no weight to the instrument. The tonal qualities of these old instruments are just amazing . (Oh, one more thing ... No such thing as a truss rod in CG necks, no need)

Keep making music my friend, there is no substitute.

jackman

« Reply #81 on: 3 Jan 2013, 06:06 pm »
This is my Taylor 914c (pre-NT neck):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCVBq4Ilcec

This is my classical, light as air and possibly built by Vicente Carrillo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmrvNjLFAI

Sorry about all the fumbling...I can't find those little dots anywhere. :)

~Greg

Greg,

Beautiful playing.  Thank you for sharing it with the group.  I also checked out your other clips and they are equally impressive and enjoyable.  I could listen to classical playing all day (if I wasn't at work eating lunch).  Cheers!

J

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #82 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:23 pm »
Jim, Steve, and Jackman:

Thank You so much for the supportive comments; that was totally unexpected and very much appreciated. :beer:

Whenever I see someone like Steve Howe make a mistake on stage and keep right on going, I think it's awesome. However, when I hear myself make a mistake, it sounds like a car crash to my ears. :green:

Thanks Again for the kind responses.

~Greg

Rclark

« Reply #83 on: 3 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm »
That's really nice playing Greg  :thumb:... Acoustic guitar is real pretty.. I might as well get one of those too. Then I can be the campfire hero.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 3 Jan 2013, 11:12 pm »
What are you talking about, your playing is most excellent and you have the balls to put it on the internet, more than I can say for myself.  The Carillo Classical sounds very sweet indeed.

Jim

Greg,

Beautiful playing.  Thank you for sharing it with the group.  I also checked out your other clips and they are equally impressive and enjoyable.  I could listen to classical playing all day (if I wasn't at work eating lunch).  Cheers!

J

+1

steve in jersey

« Reply #85 on: 4 Jan 2013, 12:11 am »
Jim, Steve, and Jackman:

Thank You so much for the supportive comments; that was totally unexpected and very much appreciated. :beer:

Whenever I see someone like Steve Howe make a mistake on stage and keep right on going, I think it's awesome. However, when I hear myself make a mistake, it sounds like a car crash to my ears. :green:

Thanks Again for the kind responses.

~Greg

You're welcome !

As long as you are "conscious" of your flubs, they're not really crashes just minor dings that don't affect the value of the vehicle (the music you're playing) in the long haul. It's called "Artistic Perspective", playing music should always be more than just getting all the notes right. (Sometimes,when you throw in a wrong note, you get lucky & nobody notices) (don't try this with Bach though)

medium jim

« Reply #86 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:41 am »
Clapton used to be fearless and would make mistakes, but along the way he played some great stuff....now he is too cautious and mechanical....my point is that I enjoy guitarist who go for it and enjoy the love of playing, excellence and the occasional mistakes. 

Jim

cab

« Reply #87 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:42 am »
Age will do that...

dflee

« Reply #88 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:40 am »
We (me, myself and I) are not worthy.

Rclark

« Reply #89 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:52 am »
Would that be a "Lute" in your avatar Dflee?

medium jim

« Reply #90 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:26 am »
Would that be a "Lute" in your avatar Dflee?

It's a Mandolin....

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #91 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:43 am »
Very cool looking old world type instrument. Never heard one live, I don't think.

Greg I'm not kidding your video's have me thinking of adding an acoustic guitar sooner than later... Meanwhile I'm over here hoping my hands strengthen up soon. I played the Kravitz song for an hour tonight and my left hand just started giving out  :|

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #92 on: 4 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm »
Still have my dad's The Gibson type A Mandolin.  Looks like it was built in 1923.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #93 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:16 pm »
We could make a mandolin an honorary guitar in exchange for a picture or two...

dflee

« Reply #94 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:19 pm »
It's a Gigson mandolin model A 1918 and has a wonderful tone.
I play it as often as I can.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #95 on: 4 Jan 2013, 01:38 pm »
We could make a mandolin an honorary guitar in exchange for a picture or two...

Will see what I can do.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #96 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:34 pm »
Greg I'm not kidding your video's have me thinking of adding an acoustic guitar sooner than later...

There's nothing quite like the harmonic complexity and intimacy of a great acoustic guitar...wish I owned more. If your music store will tolerate it :roll:, pick up as many as you can to investigate the sound and feel of each. Take your time with it. :thumb:

medium jim

« Reply #97 on: 4 Jan 2013, 04:01 pm »
There's nothing quite like the harmonic complexity and intimacy of a great acoustic guitar...wish I owned more. If your music store will tolerate it :roll:, pick up as many as you can to investigate the sound and feel of each. Take your time with it. :thumb:

The late and might I say great, Tommy Tedesco (what a character), would walk into a guitar store, any guitar store and immediately go to the acoustic guitar section and stroke his right hand across the strings.  This is how he picked out his acoustics for whatever studio assignment he had.  Sure, if he liked it from that test, he would play it to make sure it was a playable instrument as for as setup and intonation.   Basically, he didn't care who or what made it, if it sounded good to his ears and was easy on his hands...

Lark is so correct, each acoustic exhibits its own sets of merits, I personally look for good action, good intonation, but most important to me in a fine acoustic is how well it is balanced as far as loudeness or volume both between the bass, mids, and highs, as well as, up and down the neck. 

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #98 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:12 am »
Acoustic guitar is real pretty.. I might as well get one of those too. Then I can be the campfire hero.

You might want to also pick up a Ukulele.... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qakFIecBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhsJL60W1I

Toon

« Reply #99 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:17 am »
Have been following this thread, so when the usual meandering through YouTube turned up some utterly awesome acoustic playing it seemed like the right place to post it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebBBuHggqs

It's an instore demo for a brand of Australian-made guitars; he starts by saying that he doesn't consider himself a guitar player, then at three minutes in breaks into the most insane acoustic blues I've ever heard. Looks like Tommy Emmanuel has some competition!