Multitalented with peripheral neuropathy

jjthomas

Multitalented with peripheral neuropathy
« on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm »
I started out playing a Hohner Melodica that my aunt gave me for my birthday when I was about 12 years old.  I enjoyed playing it and my cat seemed to enjoy my playing it as well.  I didn't stay with it for more than a couple of years.  When I was in college I started to play the electric guitar, but sold it to pay rent.  About the age of 41 I decided to buy an electric guitar and started to learn to play again.  A year later my left hand was crushed.  I could no longer work the fret board with my left hand.  I traded my guitar in for a lefties guitar.  I can strum with my left hand.  At the same time I bought my 2nd guitar I start playing the hand drums.  The drums took.  12 years later I'm still playing the hand drums.

About a year and a half ago I bought a PS3 and the little drum set with cymbals.  6 months after that I upgrade to a Yamaha DTX500K.  I play almost daily, usually before I go to work and when I get home.

What brought me to the forums was the posting by eclein from a google search for PN and drums.  I looked around, liked what I saw and joined.

I'm also a DJ, Sound Engineer, MCSE and a Novell CNE; I like to fly around in Falcon 4 flying a F-16 and a Boeing 737 in Flight Sim.  I used to fix F-15's in the Air Force. 

Currently I'm an underpaid dispatcher for a trucking company.  With all that talent, I think I missed a turn.  But I'm coming up on 10 years with the same employer, so that is something.

I was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy a couple of years ago, in both feet.  Last year I was diagnosed with Diabetics and last summer the Neuropathy hit both hands.  I'm taking ibuprofen for the pain and I have percocet for the days it gets really bad.

Based on the posting from the thread by eclein, it looks I need to spend more time with the joysticks. :) 

I can still get almost all of the notes.  Occasionally, when I go to hit something the foot or the hand just doesn't make the connection.

I'm a litte worried about my future for drumming, but for today I play what I can.  If I miss, I miss.  When I can no longer play...  I guess I can take up gardening, or something.

-JJ

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Multitalented with peripheral neuropathy
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2012, 11:23 am »
I just now saw this, my bad, jjthomas keep going, I'm determined to play in some way shape or form. Looking into NI Maschine Mikro so I can stretch out a bit. Hang in!!!