Pretend you have up to $3000 to buy an integrated SS amp. Which would you buy?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Solid State only, please.

New or used; 150w/ch minimum. DAC included is a plus, but not absolutely necessary.

I've wondered about Hegel, Hattor, NAD, Pass Labs, Bryston, and a couple others.

Michael

Edit: Have fun with this.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2020, 05:30 pm by mresseguie »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

avta

Couldn't agree with you more.

Freo-1

Here's another vote for Devialet.  At around 3K, one can sometimes find a Expert 200, which is a great buy.

TomS

To add on to Anand's comment. A bit above your budget (of course, it's other people's money!), but in an effort to simplify my life a bit, I moved to a Devialet Expert 220 Pro Infinity last year. It does absolutely everything I could ever want, plus it has a small footprint. No fancy cables or streamer needed, just hook it up to network and speakers. It plays from nearly every streaming source I can think of - via Roon with Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc. and also wirelessly from a laptop, tablet, or phone. There is also a very nice solid remote, in addition to phone apps for control. It even has a phono stage. It sounds very, very good, probably not quite to the nth level of 5 figure systems I've had over the years, but more than satisfying for everyday use. I see one listed on A'gon for $4150, but take into account you need nothing else except speaker wires and speakers. If you need more power, just buy a second one, hook them together and it becomes an Expert 440 Pro.

I also use the Devialet SAM feature with my Focal Sopra No 2's, which is supported by Devialet, and integrates perfectly into the Roon playback path.

mresseguie

Have any of you Devialet guys heard an NAD M10? Thoughts? Impressions? Comparisons?

Michael

C'mon AC members! The world is awash in virus; the stock market crashed, but we're all (??) still alive. Let loose and shake the anxiety shit out of your body. Have a little fun. Tell me what amplifier you've been fantasizing about. Just DO IT! [Where have I heard that before?]  :P

rikhav

Hegel H300, maybe you should get it used in your budget.
Inbuilt dac
Dual mono pre and amp section

deadhead

Based on the sound of the Belles Aria I use for a second system,  I'd take a look at the Virtuoso, $6500.

Whoops!  Sorry about breaking price. 
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2020, 11:28 pm by deadhead »

TomS

Have any of you Devialet guys heard an NAD M10? Thoughts? Impressions? Comparisons?

Michael

C'mon AC members! The world is awash in virus; the stock market crashed, but we're all (??) still alive. Let loose and shake the anxiety shit out of your body. Have a little fun. Tell me what amplifier you've been fantasizing about. Just DO IT! [Where have I heard that before?]  :P
Didn't have a chance to audition the M10, had one on order, waited and waited for delivery ... finally gave up and bought the Devialet, never looked back. More power, better connectivity, of course also much more money, but no regrets on that decision at all.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
This is just a reason to take a road trip to Portland and hit up some stores.  We all know there are never 10 folks in stereo stores :thumb:
Alan

mresseguie

This is just a reason to take a road trip to Portland and hit up some stores.  We all know there are never 10 folks in stereo stores :thumb:
Alan

:rotflmao:

You know me too well, Alan.

mhconley

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Pass are still the best SS amps I've heard

JackD

With that price limit the Kinki Studio EX-M1 or if you have a need for the preamp outputs and HT Bypass the EX-M1+.  I've  had my going on two years and it's not going anywhere.  Michael if your looking to use it with relatively ineffecient book shelf speakers like your Fritz monitors it is a great match.  I use mine with the Carrera Be's as does Dev and Fritz even owned one himself.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649593860-kinki-studio-ex-m1-integratedpreamplifier/
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2020, 02:55 am by JackD »

Freo-1

Pass are still the best SS amps I've heard

I've owned a lot of Pass gear over the years.  I've tremendous respect for papa Pass.  The Pass gear is first rate.

Having said that, the absolute best SS rig I've heard is Devialet. A pair of Expert 500 integrated with the built in DAC is just among the best sounding electronics setup I've come across. 

SFDude

Going to echo the Devialet crowd here. Have a 220 Pro CI. But that is out of the budget even with used pricing. I’d shoot for a Luxman integrated that may come in at that price point on the used market. I have the 550AX (not the mkII) and it is a class A integrated that can really make for a good musical system, paired with the right speakers.

-dave

Norman Tracy

For three grand the NAD M10 is a strong contender if you are drawn to the 21st century digital all singing all dancing side.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m10-bluos-streaming-amplifier/

My observation is we have a bifurcation in high end electronics. One route takes the classic two knob basic amp to new heights with circuit refinements. Maybe add a built in DAC and remote control. The Pass and Hegel I count on that classic design path. On the other path is the M10 with touch screen and an ARM processor and nCore amps allowing analog, digital, and streaming inputs. Another capability that is very rare is to include an HDMI input, if you use your stereo with an HDTV this is a big deal because the HDTVs presently on sale have most of there audio eggs in the HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) basket. Giant respect to Devialet but except for their very first unit they have not supported HDMI, obviously NAD gets that expertise (and pays the hefty licensing costs) with their home theater gear. The other contrast between Devialet and M10 is the user interface options. Devialet is all about the phone/tablet app and stunning remote knob control. NAD offers the phone/table app or the touch screen.

Perhaps the question is do you expect your $3000 amp to be as smart as your $300 phone or tablet? Or is the amp and the system it is a part of a respite from the always connected 21st century?
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm by Norman Tracy »

mresseguie

Is it my computer, or is the M10 photo above HUMONGOUS?  :duh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After looking at the Modwright (Thanx, Lado.) and the Pass Labs INT-60, I remembered that I don't want a tornado suppression device for an amp. [It's so heavy that the house won't fly a mile away during a direct hit.] My Don Sachs KT88 amp is 56 pounds and I do not wish to own an even heavier amp. I hadn't thought of that when I posted.

This 'project' (if you will) came about because I decided a few days ago that if I live through the sh!t storm virus and am not bankrupted by the stock market crash, I'm going to treat myself to something special. [Yes, my wife gets to treat herself, too!] I have begun perusing the various classified listings and Hifishark.com for candidates. The virus hasn't finished with us yet, so I'm not going to jump on anything quite yet. I must admit to having a fair amount of anxiety over my age group's chances of dying.  :o :( I'll be 60 in a couple months.

Keep the ideas coming. Stereotypes Audio in Portland is both a Devialet and NAD dealer, so I will get up there to play some music.

Oh, yeah. The $3000 was just a random number I pulled out of my hat. I could spend more, so don't fret about mentioning a $5000 amp (for example).

Thanks!

Michael

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I have a M10.  Throughly modern and compact "streaming amplifier".  But's it's anti-classic audiophile (no front panel controls, no interconnects, USB cables, no computers/software needed, an all-in-one solution).  In fact I have a hard time thinking anymore in terms of servers, DACs, and preamps.  It even includes Dirac Live (room correction microphone/software).  And it provides the best sound I've ever had with my passive speakers. 

But have been suffering glitches.  Upon start up I often have to unplug and replug it into the power receptacle as it's unresponsive or close out and reopen the BlueSound program/app.  Have ~600 favorites saved on Tidal and navigation is slow.  If I stop play before the end of the album it usually starts right up again.  This AM it froze when going to the next album.  Selecting albums by artist doesn't always work (currently stuck in album alpha listing).