Artwork solution for WAV files in iTunes

silverlight

Artwork solution for WAV files in iTunes
« on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:30 am »
Steve - don't know if you ever solved this issue or not (haven't kept up with all the posts), but had a script suggested that successfully adds album artwork to WAV files in itunes which (at least for me personally) is quite exciting.  Not all agree, but I've found WAV files to be superior to AIFF consistently (redbook, hires) so my entire library is in this unfriendly format.
Here is the script, instructions are in the enclosed readme.  a little quirky to get running the first time, but I can happily confirm it works with itunes 9 and snow leopard.  what it effectively does is bypass the track tagging and writes the album artwork to the itunes database at the album level.
http://www.jacobweber.com/coverArt
I manage my library on a different computer than my Mac that sits in the audio rack, so have no idea if installing python has an impact on performance in any way

kaka

Re: Artwork solution for WAV files in iTunes
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:20 pm »
Not all agree, but I've found WAV files to be superior to AIFF consistently (redbook, hires) so my entire library is in this unfriendly format.

What player are you using ?

silverlight

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:48 pm »
Really don't have an interest in igniting the another WAV vs AIFF discussion, but I use iTunes+Amarra for playback.  Could be this isn't the case for Play, Izotope, or others, but I like the SQ of Amarra and WAV alot so I'm a happy cat with that (and even happier now that I can finally have artwork again)  :green:

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:07 pm »
Steve - don't know if you ever solved this issue or not (haven't kept up with all the posts), but had a script suggested that successfully adds album artwork to WAV files in itunes which (at least for me personally) is quite exciting.  Not all agree, but I've found WAV files to be superior to AIFF consistently (redbook, hires) so my entire library is in this unfriendly format.
Here is the script, instructions are in the enclosed readme.  a little quirky to get running the first time, but I can happily confirm it works with itunes 9 and snow leopard.  what it effectively does is bypass the track tagging and writes the album artwork to the itunes database at the album level.
http://www.jacobweber.com/coverArt
I manage my library on a different computer than my Mac that sits in the audio rack, so have no idea if installing python has an impact on performance in any way

Does this allow you to add cover art to any track, even upsampled?

Have you tried itunify?
http://www.satsumac.com/iTunify.php

It does this:
"Import album artwork from album folder
Import artwork to selected tracks from specified folder"

Steve N.

silverlight

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:14 pm »
Hi Steve - it has allowed me to do artwork on a specific selection of tracks.  the UI isn't the friendliest in the world, but it definitely works.  I love iTunify and it's saved me countless hours in tagging (track numbering, copying/pasting tags, etc.), but haven't gotten it to do artwork with wav files (but have used it with non-wave with success).  Cover Art handles artwork (at the album level in the itunes database not at the track level tag, which can be a single file, a few files, etc.) whether CD or upsampled / downloaded higher res files.  Given it's at the itunes database level, if you pull the tracks out of your actual itunes library, it all goes "poof" but that's always the case with WAV files and itunes with any kind of tagging (at least my understanding and experience anyway)

Were you able to get itunify to tag WAV files with artwork?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2010, 08:28 pm »
Hi Steve - it has allowed me to do artwork on a specific selection of tracks.  the UI isn't the friendliest in the world, but it definitely works.  I love iTunify and it's saved me countless hours in tagging (track numbering, copying/pasting tags, etc.), but haven't gotten it to do artwork with wav files (but have used it with non-wave with success).  Cover Art handles artwork (at the album level in the itunes database not at the track level tag, which can be a single file, a few files, etc.) whether CD or upsampled / downloaded higher res files.  Given it's at the itunes database level, if you pull the tracks out of your actual itunes library, it all goes "poof" but that's always the case with WAV files and itunes with any kind of tagging (at least my understanding and experience anyway)

Were you able to get itunify to tag WAV files with artwork?

I have not tried it yet. Was planning today.  Now, I may just use your tool.

Thanks,
Steve N.

Housteau

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2010, 03:27 pm »
I am able to add artwork to WAV files at the album level with standard Itunes, assuming they are 44.1.  However, I cannot add any to my 24/96 groupings.

silverlight

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:13 pm »
I got it to work no problem for hi res and 16/44 tracks.  One trick you might try that was very helpful for me was in some cases to select a group of tracks and classify them as a compilation under iTunes.  In a couple cases where I'd have different artist names in the same album, this saved me the time of having to edit album artwork for each different artist.  In addition, it also worked when I had some issues with other albums.

The other tip/trick I discovered is that JPG is really the best file format to use.  Some of the Hires albums might provide artwork in PNG for example, or other formats.  I downloaded the artwork locally, resaved with Preview app to JPG and then just dragged the file into the web interface in the file location box so it could find the local artwork (just also make sure you're not trying to load multiple local artwork files with the same name, like cover.jpg - each name has to be unique or the script fails).

So 3 different quirks/tips that may be helpful.  good luck.

Housteau

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:36 pm »
I will try that once I get home in about two weeks.  My 24/96 files are ones that I recorded myself.  How do you go about and classify them as a compilation?

low.pfile

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2011, 08:34 pm »

Is there any way to add artwork to a WAV format file , without any scripts?
a) for Mac OS X, iTunes
b) for latest Windows, iTunes

In other words, some "work around" or trick within iTunes.

I know about converting to AIFF or lossless which allow art. just trying to help a friend who only wants WAV.

No WAV/AIFF/lossless debate please, thank you.

cheers,
ed

claytontstanley

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:29 pm »
Silverlight,

Is this workaround required b/c iTunes cannot automatically get artwork for wav files b/c artist/album info isn't kept within the file?

-Clayton

silverlight

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:38 pm »
I think that's right, b/c I've ripped in WAV in iTunes in the past to test it and it will retrieve and store the information in the iTunes database (not in the files).  if you drag the file out of iTunes, you lose the tagging information.  This is what we're effectively trying to replicate - get tagging into the iTunes database for WAV files.  Only issue is that you are indeed tied into iTunes unless you want to put a fair amount of time into it.  I do maintain an ALAC version of my iTunes library for portable devices, and I use iTunes to convert the files to ALAC, then use iTunify to run a script to embed artwork into those files before copying them out of my main library and importing them into my ALAC copy library.
Silverlight,

Is this workaround required b/c iTunes cannot automatically get artwork for wav files b/c artist/album info isn't kept within the file?

-Clayton

claytontstanley

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm »
I think I found another way to do this: http://www.redcode.nl/blog/2010/06/creating-shazam-in-java/

So, suppose you have a whole bunch of unknown wav files in your itunes database. Write a script that leverages the above code (which leverages Shazam-like technology) to go through your whole iTunes database, figure out the artist/album for each song, and associate that info (in the iTunes database) with that wav file.

After that script finishes, you should be able to select all of the tracks, and goto 'advanced -> get album artwork', and then you're done.

This solution would also solve this guy's problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=552326

Wish I had time to code it up...

EDIT: Apparently Shazam has patents on this technology, so getting the src code from the first link would be difficult if not impossible; too bad, and I didn't think you could actually patent a FFT and hashing approach; feels wrong.