IN SEARCH OF...... The D/A converter of our dreams!

jackman

Re: IN SEARCH OF...... The D/A converter of our dreams!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:58 pm »
Paul,

I guess that explains why I haven't seen or heard much about Lindeman recently.  Also, several former owners have switched to Aurelec Vega (sp?) and I'm hoping they can chime in with comments on SQ of the Lindeman vs the Vega. 

Cheers,

Jack

PS - sorry for the unrelated question!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2014, 08:09 pm »
The Grace Design m903 seems to check all your boxes.

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m903/m903.htm

mca

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm »
PS Audio has a VERY interesting DAC called the DirectStream coming soon. If I read correctly, it has the ability to convert ALL incoming signals to DSD! I'm willing to bet it sounds amazing.

If only it came in at $2000 or under!

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:09 am »
If only it came in at $2000 or under!

Eventually, maybe it will be......or perhaps other companies will be able to offer similar technology.

mojave

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2014, 10:51 pm »
I am using a Ross Martin Audio Super Beast DAC with dual stereo DAC chips for $343.95. It sounds as good as the Lynx Hilo and Aurora I compared it to. SNR is around 130 dB.
It has the following inputs: USB (limited to 96 kHz), AES/EBU, Dual optical and dual RCA SPDIF
It has the following outputs:  XLR, RCA, and headphone with volume control

I go direct from it via XLR to my Cherry Mono Plus amps and use only digital volume control (64 bit dithered to 24 bit for output)

My computer can be controlled with any Android or iOS device so no remote is necessary for the DAC.

I also have an 8 channel Steinberg UR824 that has USB input (to 192 kHz) and also supports ADAT and SPDIF optical input. It costs $800 and it also sounds very nice.

mojave

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2014, 09:03 pm »
I also own a Tascam US-366. It is $146, but right now there is a $50 rebate which makes it $96.

It is asynchronous USB with up to 192 kHz/24 bit playback. It also includes optical and coax SPDIF input, optical and coax SPDIF output, AES/EBU output, headphone preamp/output, microphone preamp with 48v phantom power, and digital volume control. It has both balanced and unbalanced output with these available as 4 separate channels.