marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Hot tip for Tube rolling in the Candela
« Reply #100 on: 11 May 2007, 09:42 pm »
lucky you!!

bunky

« Reply #101 on: 22 May 2007, 11:16 pm »
My good friend Dangerbird / George sent me a pair of Red label 1955 Vintage CBS /Hytron JHY-5814WA's that appear to be NOS.they sound very good right out of the box.they have a very Lively presentation :drool: thanks George! :thumb:....WCW III

yooper

« Reply #102 on: 6 Jul 2007, 07:57 pm »
Can someone provide a link to the CBS Hytron 5814WA's?  I can't find them, and hope to have a pair before my new Candela shows up  aa

Thanks,

Mark

mcullinan

« Reply #103 on: 6 Jul 2007, 08:10 pm »
I bought some military CBss with a red label, 1955, and a couple with a yellow label. Anyone have any ideas what I got. I have extras of the red label CBs if any1 needs any.

I have no idea whats what... WHATS WHAT ??? Hey boss big butts... (heh) If you dont have kids just dont try and comprehend it.

M

bunky

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jul 2007, 12:10 am »
I bought some military CBss with a red label, 1955, and a couple with a yellow label. Anyone have any ideas what I got. I have extras of the red label CBs if any1 needs any.

I have no idea whats what... WHATS WHAT ??? Hey boss big butts... (heh) If you dont have kids just dont try and comprehend it.

M
My 1955 CBS/Hytron 5814's have red printing on them and were probably from a military contract also :thumb:

dangerbird

« Reply #106 on: 7 Jul 2007, 11:58 pm »
The tubes that I sent Bunky were from the same seller.I'll pm you the details of the tubes that I obtained,if I still have it. Hope this helps.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #107 on: 8 Jul 2007, 12:20 am »
the tubes in the link are cbs 12au7's not cbs 5814wa's.  the 5814wa's have red labeling.

mcullinan

« Reply #108 on: 9 Jul 2007, 08:09 pm »
I think you really do have a Candela and just dont want us to know!
Mike aa

johnzm

« Reply #109 on: 24 Jul 2008, 04:09 am »
bringing this back up from the dead!

anyone else got some suggestions? or is the cbs/hytron the hot ticket for now....

Bigfish

« Reply #110 on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:03 am »
I have not been able to find a pair of Hytron 5814As and have tried 12AU7As from Telefunken, Mullard, Amperex and currently the RCA Cleartops.  My favorites are the Amperex Bugle Boys and the RCA Cleartops.  I still want to try the Hytrons some Tung Sol Black Plates and some RCA Black Plates.

Have Fun!

Ken

richidoo

« Reply #111 on: 24 Jul 2008, 01:30 pm »
My favorite 12AU7 is Eastern Electric labelled new production Chinese, which is standard issue in their gear. Extended top and bottom, lightning fast, very low distortion. I don't know who manufactures it or whether it is available as part only. I prefer it to all these NOS tubes which all have some issue with tone, speed or extension. But I have not tried the elusive Mullard 10M, but that' so hard to get it might as well not be in the discussion.
Rich

TjMV3

« Reply #112 on: 25 Jul 2008, 07:02 pm »
With gear other than a Candela,  I've really enjoyed my NOS Raytheon 12AU7A Blackplates (and NOS Baldwin/Raytheon),   NOS Baldwin/Sylvania 12AU7A and NOS Baldwin/RCA 12AU7A.  As well as just plain NOS RCA 12AU7A.

Each one delivers the music a little differently,  but they all sound wonderful. 

Depending on your system and personal preferences.....YMMV.

And yeah,  those NOS RCA Cleartops (with side getter) are some sweet sounding,  special tubes.  Some have said they sound too bright.  But I have found that if you play them in (I guess burn them in is a better term) for a good 50 hours or so,  they really sweeten up and even develope a slight warmness that just sounds beautiful).   Again,  that's in my system.  YMMV.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #113 on: 30 Jul 2008, 09:37 pm »
I currently have La Radiotechnique tubes in the Candela.  Nice change from the original JJs.  Not as bright, overall smoother presentation, definitely opened up the midrange.  They don't play loud as well as the JJs.

I've also got 3 more sets incoming; RCA Blackplates, Classic Amperex, and Jan 5814WA CBS Hytron black plates.

We'll see which I prefer.  I plan to order some RCA cleartops, and Mullards shortly, after that those should last me a while!
Mark

golfugh

« Reply #114 on: 27 Aug 2008, 11:11 pm »
The Jan 5814WA CBS Hytron black plates have been in the Candela for about a month.  I'm just going to echo previous posts - do not buy these tubes.  I'll take spares off your hands to avoid the utter lack of musicality.

Wow nice tubes
Mark

golfugh

« Reply #115 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:20 pm »
I pulled the CBS Hytrons and have put in the Classic Amperex.  So far, much better midrange and highs with not as much bass as the Hytrons.  With my new speakers I think I prefer the Amperex.  A matched pair of Telfunken's are on the way.
Mark

mcullinan

« Reply #116 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:39 pm »
RCA Cleartops... gllg sweet top end. Ive said it a million times. Ill say it again.
Mike

geowak

« Reply #117 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:29 pm »
My two cents-

Out of the 4 pairs I have tried in the Candela-

1 Tesla
2 RCA cleartop
3 Amperex
4 Brimar

I have to say I like the Brimar best by a large margin. I have not tried the CBS Hytron??
But I might.

Bigfish

« Reply #118 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:58 pm »
I have tried:

Stock JJ's
Amperex Bugle Boys
Telefunken
Mullard
RCA Clear Tops

My favorites of this group are the RCA Clear Tops followed by the Bugle Boys.

Lkdog

« Reply #119 on: 22 Nov 2008, 08:38 pm »
FWIW I have alternated between a pair of CBS 5814wa's and Amperex 7316's in my Audio Mirror preamp.

Would echo the statement above-the CBS tubes have a bit more bass than the norm. The 7316's are extremely clear and balanced from top to bottom.
Have used RCA cleartops also. Great for the money-a little unrefined on top to my ears.

The 7316's are as advertised-they do everything well.
The CBS tubes are also very special- a bit rounder in sound.