NX-treme placement

NoahH

NX-treme placement
« on: 15 May 2022, 05:28 pm »
Many folks here may remember my several threads looking for amps for my NX-tremes. I ended up with a BHK 250 that is sounding great (thanks again, Jack). This is controlling the speakers beautifully.

I definitely don't have the speakers dialed in for placement though. I was trying to hold off until I had plate amps for my subs, but I don't think I can wait on that any more.

My question for the group is folks have any comments on how to do the placement process differently from box speakers. My current plan is to go the LOTS process from Ron at NRD, but I wanted to see if there are any modifications to it folks suggest with the OB nature.

Thanks all!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NX-treme placement
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2022, 06:36 pm »
LOTS is a good option. Ron’s personal speakers are NX-Oticas so I’m sure LOTS will work for OB

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2022, 08:14 pm »
They must be at least 3.5 feet from the front wall to sound their best.   More is better.  Side walls are less important to get distance, but the front wall is the most important thing to get the speakers away from.

Jaytor

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2022, 06:38 pm »
I have found that my NX-Oticas are not that sensitive to placement as long as they are a good distance from the front wall. Unlike normal box speakers where tiny position changes were noticeable, the NX-Oticas are fairly flexible. They are more sensitive to room treatments than they are to exact placement.

I've got mine set up with a modest toe-in (converging a few feet behind the listening position), about 9ft apart, with ~7ft from the front of the baffle to the front wall. My seating position varies from 9ft (e.g. equilateral) to 12ft from the speakers. The sound stage is definitely wider if you get closer, but I personally like to sit a bit farther back. With large diffusors behind the speakers, they have a great sound stage either way.