Music streaming vs. downloading/CDs -- for Earth Day

Yog Sothoth

I find this article interesting on the amount of carbon emissions for streaming vs. downloading/CDs; I thought some others might also be interested as it is Earth Day weekend. 

I'm curious how this will change over time as energy sources evolve.  I don't know AJR though.  Must be popular music in some realm.

Sorry if this is the wrong circle for it; I couldn't find something more approppriate.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/earth-day-climate-change-streaming-downloading-ajr-1339228/

newzooreview

Re: Music streaming vs. downloading/CDs -- for Earth Day
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2022, 11:24 pm »
The conclusion of the article: "Yep, this whole piece was a long and ridiculously in depth way of marketing our new single. Elon Musk made electric cars sexy. I made you feel bad about not downloading our new song… whatever works!"

So, it was an earth-day themed advertisement for the band, without any indication from Rolling Stone about the "sponsored content."

It's pretty easy to gin up fluff like this, and it is common for earth day. You can guesstimate or just invent a carbon footprint for anything and then do some sanctimonious finger wagging about how people should do this or that differently. This is just clickbait. Agriculture, Industry, and Transportation dominate CO2 emissions. The entire 70,000 tons of CO2 emissions that Spotify attributes to its streaming of music is equivalent to the emissions of 11 people commuting by car to work each year.

So, an individual user of a streaming service could work from home for a day and easily save the supposed CO2 emissions from streaming.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2022, 03:22 am »
It's not like you are throwing away a CD once you buy it. You keep it for a long time. If you don't want it, you sell it or give it away. It get's a second life. It is being recycled.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:32 pm »
I ripped all my CD's to a hard drive and then donated the physical CD's to my local library.  That was about 7 years ago and I do not miss physical CD's.  Between my ripped library and Qobuz/Roon, I have more music at my fingertips, in full (or high) rez, than I will ever be able to listen to in my lifetime.  This also simplified my system as I no longer needed a big box in my rack dedicated to playing CD's.  And if you set it up correctly, sound is better, too.