New member with Maggie 1.7i's

mcgsxr

Re: New member with Maggie 1.7i's
« Reply #60 on: 2 May 2022, 06:31 pm »
I have a pair of original MMG's and 1.6's.  The 1.6's blow the MMG's away.  I bought a pair of PSB T3's (cost 3x's the 1.6's) and the 1.6's sounded much better.  I sold the T3's.  I would like to move on from the 1.6's as my wife is tired of having door panels in our family room.  I really like the Fyne Audio 702's but not the $9500 price.  I may give the Monitor Audio 5g 300 golds a try.

Having owned both the MMG's and the 1.6QR's I found they each had unique benefits.  My best friend was entranced with how the MMG's produced an amazing soundstage, better in his mind than the 1.6's.  I knew what he was talking about, but felt that the 1.6's did the same thing while also delivering more bandwidth and volume when required.

My own "life after panels" experience took me through a number of speakers (Focal Electra 906's, Paradigm Studio Reference 20 V5's, Totem Model 1's again) and I have landed on a set of active Dynaudio's - the older Focus 110a.  Quite happy with those, but do miss what panels delivered in terms of massive sound and some of the best treble I have ever heard.