NX Series and X Series Spectral Decay

BrandonB

NX Series and X Series Spectral Decay
« on: 23 Jun 2023, 10:26 pm »
When Danny looks at speakers he measures the frequency response, spectral decay and impedance.  When I look at the measurements of the NX reference series and X series it seems that some of the X series speakers has a better spectral decay.  If you look at the Bravo and the beast and even the x-static they look very clean.  The NX-treme and NX-otica special decay doesn't seem to be as good as these but the NX-studio has a really good spectral decay.  Am I looking at these correctly? I know this is just one small piece of the puzzle

g3rain1

Re: NX Series and X Series Spectral Decay
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2023, 04:14 am »
How exactly are you doing these measurements?

BrandonB

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2023, 04:55 am »
How exactly are you doing these measurements?

I was looking on the GR Research website.  Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Mallard1

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2023, 08:18 pm »
I have noticed the same thing and had the same question.  When i look at the spectral decay of the Xstaik versus the extreme it appears the X series is cleaner. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2023, 03:25 am »
I think the difference is the tweeter.  The GR NEO 3 has some longer stored energy but it's still pretty clean. 

drewm

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2023, 08:39 pm »
I agree with above. There's some stored energy, but it's a good 20db down where most of that issue issue and would be tough to hear. I'd also just expect a magnetic planar with a long ribbon where energy could transfer end to end to have more stored energy than a well dampened soft dome too.

I've seen tests where a very cheap soft dome outperforms nearly every ribbon in most measurements, although people tend to like the extra shimmer of a ribbon which is actually that measured distortion  http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2023, 05:29 pm »
It's mostly minor edge diffraction/reflections caused by the original waveguide, and in some cases probably the tweeter itself at higher frequencies.

I'm working on updating the crossover design for the X-Omni, and I'm seeing similar little trails that are seen in the NX series kits.
You can also see them in the original spectral decay below:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2023, 10:32 pm »
There is a slight difference in them due to the edge diffraction of the waveguide. I just shot a video on reading edge diffraction that will be up shortly. It is a very educational, tech talk style video. I hope you guys like it.

T4Man

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2023, 09:02 pm »
I'm looking forward to the video. I'm comparing X-Static and NX-Studio kits and wondering about the differences (other than size). I can imagine some of the differences such as MTM vs. TM, for example.
Thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2023, 10:32 pm »
The NX-Studio is more detailed with a more airy/spacious treble.
The X-Statik has deeper bass with a very open mid-range that is a great combination for vocals and string instruments.

The NX-Otica & NX-Tremes are the best of both worlds offering a very open/spacious sound from 50Hz-20KHz since all of the drivers are in an open-baffle design, rather than just one or two drivers.

T4Man

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2023, 10:38 pm »
Perfect. Thanks!