Bryston BDP-Pi

Christo22

Album art
« Reply #280 on: 24 Oct 2020, 02:30 pm »
How do you get the album art to show on the display when using Tidal?

Rocket

Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #281 on: 7 Nov 2022, 11:04 am »
Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd ask some questions about the Bryston BDP-PI.  I currently use a Bryston BDP 1 but it just seems so slow loading my albums and I can't get Roon to work reliably now.

I have the opportunity to buy a good condition secondhand BDP-PI and I'd like to know whether it is Roon compatible or as alternative will it work with Tidal?  Tidal is the streaming platform that I use and I was only using Roon with my BDP1 as it worked  reliably with it.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Cheers Rod

Calypte

« Reply #282 on: 9 Nov 2022, 03:11 am »
I don't know if this answers any of your concerns.  I've owned a BDP-pi since Jan 2018.  My ripped music collection is mostly classical music.  I've also bought a lot of downloads, mostly from Presto Classical UK.  There are 56,000+ files ("songs" in pop/rock parlance) and cover art JPEGs.  These files are on a Western Digital Passport hard-disk drive.  I have no complaints about the speed of loading these files.  Complete symphonies & operas -- they load within a second, essentially instantly.  I also use QOBUZ.  Files load quickly.  I know nothing about TIDAL.  I did have a problem a couple of years ago with Manic Moose (the software application), but that turned out to be due to a faulty microSD card.  Chris was able to contact my BDP-pi through the internet to diagnose the problem.  My only complaint about that episode is that I had to buy my own replacement microSD card.  Bryston was either unwilling or unable to provide a replacement, which I thought they might be willing to do under the BDP-pi's warranty.  This was near the beginning of the pandemic chaos.  Sound quality is essentially perfect in my opinion.  I've never needed or wanted to play DSD files, which the BDP-pi can't play.

jobiwon

« Reply #283 on: 9 Nov 2022, 05:30 am »
I been running a Pi and Bot (BOT does not work now) for several years streaming Qobuz.  I only have a few hundred files on attached storage and it loads them fine. The Pi primary duties now are an end point for ROON which it does reliably.   As a matter of fact IMO it makes a great endpoint.

The major disappointment is the vaunted Bryston support which , for me, is now not existent. :dunno:

Rocket

« Reply #284 on: 9 Nov 2022, 12:57 pm »
Hi,

I'll give it a go just agreed to pay the price as its only $700 Australian. Its 1/3 of the price and its a bargain.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #285 on: 15 Nov 2022, 12:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

I received the Bryston BDP Pi and it works great It had the latest software upgrade so its all good. Currently, using it as a Roon endpoint with tidal and it is so much quicker than my older Bryston BDP1.

I'm using a coaxial digital cable at the moment but I'm wondering whether a usb cable makes any difference at all?

Thanks for your help.

Regards Rod

Rocket

« Reply #286 on: Today at 10:31 am »
Hi,

Well it was short lived as the Bryston BDP PI stopped working after a day or so and its been inactive for over a year. I've had a few suggestions on how to remedy the streamer but in the end I took it to a local dealer. The dealer put in a new SD card and flashed the zip file and they got it Bryston BDP PI working for me. I then had a problem with connecting it to my Wyred 4 Sound dac as it didn't work with the usb cable. I'm not sure if it is the Bryston or Dac.  In any case its now working using a digital cable and sounds fabulous.  I had it on for 20 minutes or so and a neighbour complained to me how loud the music was lol.

I'd definitely buy a Byrston Dac in the future.

Cheers Rod