stlrman

NBA season suspended
« on: 12 Mar 2020, 01:53 am »
After Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Wow !!

Jmitchell3

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2020, 02:56 am »
I’ve suspended all audio activities after my dac tested positive for covid19.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2020, 03:11 am »
March Madness to follow almost certainly. Chances for UFC 249 next month also seem very slim now.

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2020, 03:13 am »
I’ve suspended all audio activities after my dac tested positive for covid19.

As a precaution, I've stopped using USB, AES, and coaxial. My DACs will be limited to ethernet and optical for isolation and quarantine. More to follow...

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2020, 03:14 am »
Many music concerts are canceled.   :(

kmmd

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2020, 01:59 pm »
All of this should’ve been done months ago.  When the entire US has only tested 5k people AS OTHERS TEST 5-10K PER DAY, well you don’t find what you don’t look for.  Get ready for the real numbers.  Stay safe all.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2020, 02:33 pm »
The fear will cause far more damage than the virus ....

kmmd

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2020, 02:41 pm »

Yes it has.  But this must be taken seriously.  I’m front line as an emergency doc.  This has been spreading since the last quarter of 2019.  I haven’t been able to order the testing until this week.  4 out of 5 who tested positive have minimal symptoms, and it is now proven to be community spread.  Approximately 1% of those testing positive die.   Am I concerned that the testing kits have not been available?  Should more have been done sooner by the government?  Do you think I’m scared? 

Edit:  I stand corrected, CNN just reported that the US has tested a staggering 11k patients thus far

kmmd

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2020, 03:22 pm »
Returning to the original post and topic...now Donovan Mitchell in addition to Rudy tested positive.  How many basketball players stayed 6 feet away from another player during a game?

RPM123

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2020, 04:42 pm »
After Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Wow !!

The same jackass who touched all of the reporters mics that were placed on the table where he was sitting. He was making fun of the situation and proceeded to touch the equipment as he was leaving the interview. Definitely a top candidate for "idiot of the year" award!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2020, 05:24 pm »
Yes it has.  But this must be taken seriously.  I’m front line as an emergency doc.  This has been spreading since the last quarter of 2019.  I haven’t been able to order the testing until this week.  4 out of 5 who tested positive have minimal symptoms, and it is now proven to be community spread.  Approximately 1% of those testing positive die.   Am I concerned that the testing kits have not been available?  Should more have been done sooner by the government?  Do you think I’m scared? 

Edit:  I stand corrected, CNN just reported that the US has tested a staggering 11k patients thus far

I am also an emergency medicine doctor.  The U.S. and world have dropped the ball.  As soon as this became epidemic in china, all travel should have been stopped around the world.  Now it is too little too late.  The train has left the station.  Imagine if 10-15% of people over 60 died world wide.  I am scared.  I am 61 and have asthma and well controlled diabetes but it puts me at a 10% risk or more of dying.  People 70 and older have a 10-15%  chance of dying and even higher with all the possible health problems that go along with that age group.

This virus is bad, the number of infected people is much higher than is reported and it is more contagious than influenza.

Currently there are not enough test kits to go around and the test do have false negatives and positives.  And we are currently being over run in the clinics and emergency departments with people wanting to be tested even though they have no symptoms or just the common cold. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2020, 07:50 pm »
I am also an emergency medicine doctor.  The U.S. and world have dropped the ball.  As soon as this became epidemic in china, all travel should have been stopped around the world.  Now it is too little too late.  The train has left the station.  Imagine if 10-15% of people over 60 died world wide.  I am scared.  I am 61 and have asthma and well controlled diabetes but it puts me at a 10% risk or more of dying.  People 70 and older have a 10-15%  chance of dying and even higher with all the possible health problems that go along with that age group.

This virus is bad, the number of infected people is much higher than is reported and it is more contagious than influenza.

Currently there are not enough test kits to go around and the test do have false negatives and positives.  And we are currently being over run in the clinics and emergency departments with people wanting to be tested even though they have no symptoms or just the common cold.
It’s kind of difficult to fault people for panicking and wanting to be tested though. I’m asymptomatic and would be tested if it wouldn’t take away resources and time from those who really need it. Reasoning is I work for a pharmaceutical company and I’m on the manufacturing floor. But my main reason is my mother is 63, had a kidney transplant a few years ago and therefore is on immunosuppressants. I don’t want to give her this virus, so I stay away, regardless of if I have any symptoms or not. Getting tested would be nice, but far too many others need it more than I do right now. But not everyone thinks that way. Somewhat understandably too. Would you want to unknowingly give a loved one who’s at risk this virus?

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2020, 08:52 pm »
March Madness scrapped !

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2020, 09:13 pm »
It’s kind of difficult to fault people for panicking and wanting to be tested though. I’m asymptomatic and would be tested if it wouldn’t take away resources and time from those who really need it. Reasoning is I work for a pharmaceutical company and I’m on the manufacturing floor. But my main reason is my mother is 63, had a kidney transplant a few years ago and therefore is on immunosuppressants. I don’t want to give her this virus, so I stay away, regardless of if I have any symptoms or not. Getting tested would be nice, but far too many others need it more than I do right now. But not everyone thinks that way. Somewhat understandably too. Would you want to unknowingly give a loved one who’s at risk this virus?

There is no point in testing for it if you have no symptoms.  It is a nasopharyngeal swab and you need to have an active infection.
We just had a patient who has been ill for 6 weeks with viral bronchitis  (viral bronchitis typically lasts 4-8 weeks) and has been seen twice for this.  The patient presented again yesterday demanding to be tested for Corona and said if not tested they would go to the news media. The patient doesn't fking get it that the virus does not last that long and that we cant test everybody.  It also ties us up for almost an hour because we have to put on PPE protection twice and fill out several forms that have to go the the dept. of health. 
Then the room cannot be used for at least 2 hours per our protocol.  In addition, we do not have enough protective gear (PPE) to test every one because as soon as you step out of the room, you have to throw it all away.  If you go back in the room, you have to put on all new gear.

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2020, 09:24 pm »
There is no point in testing for it if you have no symptoms.  It is a nasopharyngeal swab and you need to have an active infection.
We just had a patient who has been ill for 6 weeks with viral bronchitis  (viral bronchitis typically lasts 4-8 weeks) and has been seen twice for this.  The patient presented again yesterday demanding to be tested for Corona and said if not tested they would go to the news media. The patient doesn't fking get it that the virus does not last that long and that we cant test everybody.  It also ties us up for almost an hour because we have to put on PPE protection twice and fill out several forms that have to go the the dept. of health. 
Then the room cannot be used for at least 2 hours per our protocol.  In addition, we do not have enough protective gear (PPE) to test every one because as soon as you step out of the room, you have to throw it all away.  If you go back in the room, you have to put on all new gear.
Great information, really appreciate your insight :thumb:

Unfortunately, very few will educate themselves, just panic, so processing capacity gets exceeded at all levels of the health systems.

stlrman

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2020, 09:51 pm »
NHL put on hold , and baseball delayed two weeks , but will probably be binned as well.
I know this is not important in the grand scheme of things , but it sucks.

viggen

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm »

are you saying there are no reason to fear?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2020, 10:16 pm »
Guess the hypochondriacs are having a Field Day.
Worry? gee maybe a slight concern. The far worse issue is all the OTHER STUFF the Human  Species is doing as a reaction. Sure being cautious is good. Being in a panic?
In the City of origin.. I sort of remember it is a city of like 11,000,000. And how many died? 10,000,000? Gee I thinks it IS a pandemic! Oh that is incorrect.,,  a few thousand.. or less than one tenth of one percent? Gee I am quaking in me' boots. 
(I looked up the city and it is 11,000,000) :popcorn:
Feel free to vent.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2020, 10:21 pm »
It looks like they're making preparations to have use work from home which will be a blessing.
Working in a 17 story office building is like being in a giant petri dish.

It's my understanding that there is a 7 day incubation period so by the time you realize you have it so do a lot of other people.

kmmd

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2020, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for your input Greyhound Fan.  Glad to know a fellow ED doc.  Definitely PPE is time consuming, but we must protect the front line people.  Hopefully your facilities have adequate supplies.  Please do be careful, and take care of yourself.  I’m 52 and have HTN.  I guess our job contributed to that.

While I kinda agree that patients without symptoms should not be tested, they can still have it (kids in particular).  I think it is important to test if the flu swab and viral cultures are negative however.  The problem is that they can pass it to others with significant  medical problems, elderly, frail, immunocompromised, etc.  Current testing involves swabbing the oropharynx and nasopharynx.  The test can then result within 24 hours, as we can send the swab to labs other than the CDC.  No matter the case, we must act now and try to limit the spread.

My colleagues have shared the following link to provide some insight: 
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Please stay safe.

pan·dem·ic
/panˈdemik/
 Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: pandemic
(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world