In ear isolation/armature earphones

Construct

In ear isolation/armature earphones
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:45 am »
I used to go old school with senn and grado rs-1  ear cans.  I never cared for the non-isolation nature of them.  In the past few years, it's been ety's and Klipsch x-5's.  The Klipsch can do everything the ety's do, except with MUCH deeper and better bass.  In fact, I like these better than my former rs-1's and amp.  $149 vs $750. 
I am considering getting some higher grade models.  I am undecided.  The klipsch x-10 are out (I don't like the bass quality)  and I am considering ultimate ears. 
So for those in-ear isolationists (armature not dynamic)...  what do you like between $300 and $800? 

saisunil

Re: In ear isolation/armature earphones
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 04:07 pm »
I am using Head Direct's RE252 - I am quite pleased with it (at some point Ety4 were my ref) - they do open up from blah at 0 hours to great after 200 hours. 50 hours is enough to enjoy them ... I have heard good things about their RE-ZERO

If you want to go full monty - you should definitley look into JHAudio -- JH13Pro and JH16Pro are on my wish list - they have outboard crossover with amp which is first

Once you touch $500 - you should consider customs ...

Cheers

cn11

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:44 pm »
Hi there... I am new to this forum, but am quite active on Head-fi.org. You could try searching there for some suggestions too. I've been up and down the portable audio road, and have landed on Earsonics SM3 balanced armature IEM's. They are a true triple driver, with crossovers. They are quite similar to the Westone UM3X (from what I've read), but are supposed to be more mellow and relaxed sounding while still having incredible treble extension, detail, and layering. I wish I could afford to try out the UM3X's to give you a first-hand observation of the differences, but I decided to go with the Earsonics based on reviews I read and I'm very, very happy with them so far. My DAP is a Sony X1060 32G.

For my other gear, I have Mogami recabled Ultrasone HFI-780's for my full size cans, and a Headstage Arrow 12HE for the portable amp.

This end of the hobby is hugely addicting because you don't have to pay thousands upon thousands to try out new gear!

mbakes

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2010, 11:50 pm »
I know you put your limit at $800 but if you are willing to go that high, try to save some more and check out the JH Audio JH13.  I've had mine for 1 1/2 years.  I sold off my fairly high end headphone rig and have never looked back.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2010, 02:49 am »
JH is very, very good.  But I'd recommend the Sensaphonics 2x-S over it, particularly if you want to go portable some of the time.  The 2x-S sounds particularly good with the new iPhone 4, even without a portable amp.

mbakes

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:12 am »
I haven't heard the Sensaphonics but use my jh 13's with my iPhone daily, no amp.  It's quite good.

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:25 am »
I've heard both, and IMO the 2x-S is the best you can get for $800

mbakes

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:30 am »
I guess it's settled then.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2010, 03:51 am »
Sorry mbakes, I was a bit abrupt there.  I meant that IMO the 2x-S sounds better, particularly in a portable situation.  Warmer and more musical.  However, both scale pretty well to a dedicated at home setup.  I'd say that if you are only going to use a dedicated home rig, it's a toss up, but if you are going to travel, I feel the 2x-S is a better choice.