Alpha's and RM40's at Gerry's (Turk)

gme109

« Reply #40 on: 26 Jul 2004, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: Turk
Great, I have a listening session and and the conclusion, correct as I may add, requires moving or purchasing a pair of $700 horns to go with $25k in electronics and cables.  Gee did I have fun....

Cheer up dude, there's hope. I believe as bad as your room is, there's room for further improvment. You should treat the entire front of all your soffits for one. Then I think we should all take a trip over to Tony Knight's place to bare witness to what a properly treated room looks like. Tony is a retired Physicist who spent two years measuring and treating every square inch of his listening room. The good thing about Tony's set up is, he has two pairs of Quad 989's set up in  different rooms. One completely treated and the other with hardly any room treatments. The difference will blow your mind. It's wasn't until visiting Tony's place that it really hit home just how important a properly treated room is. We all have an idea that it's important but this experience made it clear to me that the room is the most influential component of a sound system.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
setup
« Reply #41 on: 26 Jul 2004, 06:05 pm »
To answer Turk's question on the GR forum (where I do not post out of courtesy), I would have placed the Alphas closer together, closer to the back wall, and with the tweeters facing inward to minimize reflections and make a longer path length for the first reflection.  I would have also toed them in towards the listening position, which would make for a smaller "sweet spot" but better focus.

No, the RM40's do not have any substantial output at 10Hz regardless of what measurements say.  Small sources like the Hornshop speaker excite rooms far less than large ones, but small sources sound strained and distorted reproducing complex music at loud levels, something the 40's do with ease.

In-room measurements are tricky.  Since the Alphas load the room quite differently from the 40's (for one thing, the Alphas lack first-octave bass) the in-room curves will be different regardless of the nearfield
response of the speaker.  A combination of moving the speakers closer to the back wall, increased toe-in, and PR damping adjustment would have elminated the midbass hump Wayne measured on  the 40's.

If Wayne had boosted trebles to make for a flatter in-room curve the sound would have become quite harsh and trebly. Microphones and ears hear quite differently and make rather different demands on a speaker, which is why the level and PR adjustments on the 40's are so necessary.

gme109

Re: setup
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2004, 06:57 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
To answer Turk's question on the GR forum (where I do not post out of courtesy), I would have placed the Alphas closer together, closer to the back wall, and with the tweeters facing inward to minimize reflections and  ...

Tweeters on the inside :idea:   Duh.        Don't know how all of us missed this one :oops: That certainly would have helped with minimizing any side wall relfections from the tweeters.

Turk

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jul 2004, 07:03 pm »
I thought about that the day I placed the speakes in the room, however, this was contrary to the set up of everyone else with Alphas I have seen pictures of and the manufacturer so I followed the instructions.  I'll give it a try.

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jul 2004, 07:34 pm »
When I look at the plot for the Alphas, there does not seem to be a peak at 50-70 Hz.  The RM40s show a peak at about 70 Hz, but the small speakers don't really have a peak at that frequency.  Also, I find it strange that the sub was on for the small speakers -- there's a massive drop off in the low range.  The only think I take from the graphs is that something was eating the high frequencies.  All three graphs plummet (or are already low) at about 15kHz.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Hi Guys
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jul 2004, 07:49 pm »
It sounds like you guys had a great time, and learned a lot.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to post your views too. It really helps us. Customer feedback goes a long way.

The A/B comparisons are great too. It helps motivate us to produce the best products that we can.

I am sure VMPS appreciates it too.

Sounds like there were likes and dislikes across the board.

We learn that there is no one speaker for everybody and that the room interaction can make or break a combination.

One set of technical questions were asked by JoshK that I will try to answer.

I really find the statement that the Neo8's peaked output in the range in question to be able to be combed flat. According to the white paper the comb effect from a ribbon or planar is minimal (IIRC within 3 db, and the Neo8 has much more than 3db peak). The two just seem to be in opposition. Now maybe I am missing something here, but if not I really question whether the alphas have a flat response in the highs as suggested.

Good question Josh.

If you look at the Neo 8 frequency response you will see rising response that peaks at about 13kHz then rolls off at the top end.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-712s.pdf

If you use one of them, you have to use a notch filter to attenuate the peak.

If you use two of them playing together you get no gain in the higher frequency ranges (above 16 to 18kHz) because of the limited vertical response.

But as frequency decreases, the output overlaps and you get gain in the lower ranges.

By the time you have eight of them in a line, the output level is much higher at the bottom end (around 500 to 800Hz) and falls down to the higher ranges where output is less.

What was a peak at 13kHz is now been pushed out a little further into the 15 to 16kHz where it drops off about 4 to 5db and then extends out to 40kHz.

The output level in the lower areas then has to be pulled down by the network to equal the output level at the top.

You then get a flat response to 15kHz or so then the roll off.

Now keep in mind that the playing surface is 1.25" wide. So off axis response will roll off more quickly in the higher frequency ranges more quickly than a narrow ribbon tweeter.

Looks like the Alphas were set up firing nearly straight into the room and the listener was about 10 degrees off axis.

This positioning will see a roll off in the highs that is greater than if they were turned straight at the listening position.

My measurements that far off axis match the roll offs you guys measured in the top octave too.

Toeing them in should pick the output at 20kHz up about 3db or more.

This will lessen the width of the sound stage slightly but also minimize side wall reflections too. Images will be a little more focused but not as large too.

It's give and take.

Side wall reflections could be the cause for a little extra energy in the 10kHz region too. Towing them in might take that away too.

Because the RM-40's are a point source at those frequencies they should have much less room interaction at 10kHz and may not have a peak there at all.

The Alphas will load the room quite differently there.

The room can simply cause a lot of problems and it sounds like this was a tough one.

By a "real" ribbon, I meant something that would extend output to 20khz. You wouldn't even have to change much on the Alpha's, just plop a tall line ribbon next to the BG array and set the crossover at 10hz. The crossover could take care of that bump in the low/mid treble, and the line tweeter would give output to 20khz at least (and maybe furter, although I doubt anyone could hear it, or that it would matter much).

Pros and cons to that too.

One, it would add a lot of cost to the bottom line and it would be a lot more expensive.

Secondly, crossing drivers that high can cause more problems than the they fix.

You would then have a real narrow sweet spot because moving off axis one way or another would then cause the overlapped area of the drivers to cause large dips in the response just below and just above the crossover points in the neighborhood of 20db.

A 120db per octave crossover might make it work though.

I would rather have a slight roll off in the top and an even response over a wide area.

A real solution would be a line of Neo 3's like what was used in the Epiphany line.

These extend the top end all the way out very smoothly, but it takes three of them to equal the length of one Neo 8 and it would add a lot to the price too.

It is all give and take again and how much it is worth to you.

The sibilance observation may or may not be speaker related.

Capacitors can be a cause if they are not burned in.

I heard Gary Dodd's Alpha LS's a day before Xi-Trum did and there were no (ZERO) sibilance issues. I have not heard any such problems with them like that any other place either.

But, the day after Xi-Trum heard them at Gary's, he (Gary) hooked up a brand new pre-amp (zero hours on it) and he noticed some obvious sibilance until it burned in.

If there is anything in the system that causes it the Alpha's will show it off and not cover it up.

There is something else in the system causing that and it can be corrected.

Were any Bybee's used in the system? I have heard them elevate sibilance several times.

Are those Parasound amps pictured? That could be a cause too.

Keep working with it and I am sure it can all get dialed in.

Thanks again.

azryan

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jul 2004, 08:36 pm »
Quote from: zybar
AZRYAN,-

-This means that with both pairs fully assembled, the loaded RM 40's are around $1000 cheaper.-

I just wanted to make sure people have the correct facts and not some ballpark figures.

The figures I posted were from Danny's web site too. The only 'ballpark' is the fact that diff. veneers are a little diff. price.

Clear for anyone to see on his site though so it's odd to see you type about 'correct facts' and not 'ballpark figures' when you don't post any straight forward factual figures for a what 40's + MLS cabinets + full upgrades are.

Which I asked about.

I am not positive of what the price is for the fully loaded RM 40 kit.

ok.

Not sure either why you just repeated what I already said about the cost of the Alphas when building your own cabinet are far cheaper??

My point was if you didn't catch it... that you can buy the MLS cabinets and Alpha kit, and put the two together in one, maybe two days tops with very little skill.

IMO this option is terribly reasonable and knocks ~$1k of the speaker price.

Now if you go kit + MLS cabinets, the Alphas' are around $4600. This makes them right around the price for a fully assembled pair of RM 40's.

Yep, and that's what 'I' posted -before you, but you sound like you mean to correct what I posted??

Seeing as it's a ~$1K cost advantage 'claimed' through all the upcharges and dealer discounts for maxed out 40's... I wanted to make this option clear to level the field so to speak.

Remember too the Alpha cabinets are the size of the RMX's not the smaller 40's and have 18 woofers and 16 neo panels.

Much higher effi. and power handling too which I didn't see touched on here in this shoot out, but assume you guys meant to level match the two and I'd imagine find the Alphas to draw much less power to hit the same SPL's?

BradJudy

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jul 2004, 08:48 pm »
Danny,

A list of equipment used can be found in the first post of this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11753

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:07 pm »
AZRYAN,

The price for fully loaded 40's with MLS cabinet is $6189 (minus the discount you can get).  

This has already been posted earlier in this thread.   :o

As for my comments...

I felt they need to be posted because you were not accurate in your statements.  For example:

As for cost I don’t know what a pair of maxed out 40's w/ the works in upgrades and MLS cabinets cost minus dealer discounts, etc... but the Alpha kit is ~$2K and MLS cabinets are a little over $2K depending on the veneer chosen.

Are maxed out 40's w/ MLS cabinets really ~$1K less at about $3K?

Where I come from $2600 or $2700 isn't a little over $2K.

Also, you are comparing the costs of a kit vs. finished speakers in the above quote.   :nono:

Seems like my post simply cleared things up,  not sure why you have an issue with that.

I did understand your point and empashized in my post that significant savings could be had by going the full blown kit route on the Alphas.

As for the size of the speakers... that really isn't relevant in this discussion.  People were comparing the sound of the speakers - not the size or the number of drivers.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #49 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:16 pm »
I also don't think speaker efficiency is relevant, unless the less efficient speaker sounded worse.  In this case, people thought the RM40, which is the less efficient speaker, sounded better in many areas.

To me, I read this as not really having the benefit of good setup for both speakers.  It just goes to show how complex speakers and sound systems and room interactions are.

Turk

« Reply #50 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:21 pm »
Danny,

Are the Neo 3's dimensions such that they would fit the existing channel cut for the Neo 8's.  Also, where would the crossover point be with this combination?  

As for the equipment, I have not heard the JC-1s sound sibilant with the JM Lab Mini Utopias or anything else I have hooked them up to in the way of speakers although I realize interactions are unpredictible.  I am curious as to why you mentioned them.  

Jerry

JoshK

« Reply #51 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:37 pm »
Thanks Danny, appreciate the no-BS answer.  Interesting and makes sense.  I just never understood that point before.

azryan

« Reply #52 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:39 pm »
Ok zybar, you win. A little over $2k is not what $2.6 or $2.7K is.

You CAN also buy Alpha cabinets that are not MLS made for $2k. These are also great quality and finished cabinets and also shown on GR's site.

Let's not nit pick I think.

"-Also, you are comparing the costs of a kit vs. finished speakers in the above quote.-"

YES... I know. I SAID that. Seeing as it takes a day to put the two together as I SAID already... I think that's very reasonable and to save $1K I could see this a VERY good option to people.

"-Seems like my post simply cleared things up,-"

No. It didn't.

"-The price for fully loaded 40's with MLS cabinet is $6189 (minus the discount you can get).-"

I didn't see what the actual price was -because dealer discounts aren't posted and diff. dealers do.

"-As for the size of the speakers... that really isn't relevant in this discussion. People were comparing the sound of the speakers - not the size or the number of drivers.-"

Right. Just as cost is not relevant? I was saying they're larger to show that you are getting MORE cabinet for the costs we are talking about.

A small point, but not as pointless as you want to claim it to be. yeesh.

-edited only for confusing spelling errors-

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #53 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:47 pm »
Are the Neo 3's dimensions such that they would fit the existing channel cut for the Neo 8's. Also, where would the crossover point be with this combination?

Nope, the Neo 3's are a completely different size and can not be front mounted like the Neo 8's.

The network would have to change too, but the crossover points could be similar.

As for the equipment, I have not heard the JC-1s sound sibilant with the JM Lab Mini Utopias or anything else I have hooked them up to in the way of speakers although I realize interactions are unpredictible. I am curious as to why you mentioned them.

Just thinking out loud as to what might be causing it, I guess.

I know it isn't a problem with the speakers but I do know that those speakers will show it off if there is that problem being caused by something else in the system.

Sounds like it was really a problem for a couple of guys and I would much rather them be allowed to hear the speakers without that issue.

I have also owned an earlier version of those amps and found it to be a little to the analytical side. Compared to the tube amps we use I would even say it was a little harsh and grainy sounding. I could see it stressing those ssssssss's a little.

But that may not be the culprit at all. Just thinking out loud still, and hoping all gets worked out well for everyone.

Turk

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:09 pm »
Yeah, me too.  Hence my earlier comment of sending my wife out of town so I can move the speakers to the 18'X25'X12' (average ceiling height) family room and get out of the bunker.  Well thanks to all for your suggestions, I  appreciate them and if anyone else has an idea send it in.

Jerry

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #55 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:19 pm »
If Gerry will have me back, I'd love to do another listening session with a smaller group, so we have a bit more flexibility moving the speakers around & playing with things a bit in order to get best sound.

If someone has a truck or SUV or minivan, we could also load up and bring over my rather large side wall acoustic panels.

Wayne1

« Reply #56 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:25 pm »
Tyson and Jerry,

I would be up for a rematch :D

I might be able to convince my wife to let me use her Grand Caravan for the day. If we can get Jason to come along to be the grunt, I think the tuning would go fairly quickly.

Let me know. Right now there are no hockey games in the immediate future.

gme109

« Reply #57 on: 26 Jul 2004, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
If someone has a truck or SUV or minivan, we could also load up and bring over my rather large side wall acoustic panels.

Have truck will travel. Let me know.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #58 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:14 am »
Quote from: gme109
Rick: "If there was a problem with the room @10K it would've also shown up in the curve for the RM-40. especially since the RM40's ribbon has much wider horizontal dispersion than the Neo8."

Hi Rick,

I'm not sure what the vertical dispersion of the Alpha's tweeters are like but if they have any vertical dispersion what so ever, would they not interact with the ceiling more then the RM-40's? Being that there's more tweeters and they're closer to the ceiling.

The vertical dispersion of the arrays would be more limited so a low ceiling would affect them less.

azryan

« Reply #59 on: 27 Jul 2004, 12:16 am »
Quote from: ctviggen
I also don't think speaker efficiency is relevant,-

It's certainly not relevant to sound quailty, but it is relevant when looking into total system costs IMO. Maybe off-topic but several people were talking about costs between these speakers and all speakers need amps.

When speaker A needs several times more power to hit the same SPL's as speaker B it's typically gonna cost you a lot more money to buy the same quality of amp power for speaker A.

You can see this in the prices of amp companies where you find a line up of pretty much same sounding amps from say 30-50 Watts up to 300-500 Watts.