Alpha/RM-40 Listening Party and BBQ

mgalusha

« on: 16 Jul 2004, 04:36 pm »
Due to posting problems I am posting this on behalf of Jerry (Turk).

All interested Denver area AC members are invited to BBQ & listening party at Jerry's house on Saturday July 24, 2004 beginning at 1:00pm until...

The main focus will be listening to both the GR Research Alpha LS (Alpha Core/BH 5, SonicCaps) and the VMPS RM-40 (TRT/FST/Soundcoat/Vitrified PR). The rest of the system consists of an Exemplar Audio modded Denon-2900 (very nice), deHavilland UltraVerve preamp, BOLDER Cables IC's, BOLDER/AlphaCore/SoundStrings speaker cables, Parasond JC-1 amps, Marchand XM-44 XO (for sub), VMPS Larger Sub. 8th Nerve, RealTraps and DIY Jon Risch bass traps in a dedicated room with multiple dedicated circuits. Vinyl will be spun on a Eurolab table with Morch arm and Benz cartridge feeding a Hagerman Cornet phono stage.

BBQ will be provided by Oli's Rib Shack (killer brisket), therefore please RSVP by Wednesday, July 21st. RSVP to g.abboud@comcast.net or call 303-421-6255 and speak to Jerry or Rose. Location is Arvada Colorado at 7350 Otis Ct. This is about halfway between Wadsworth and Sheridan just off of 72nd Ave. MapQuest Link

Bring an open mind and music! Any format is OK as the Denon can play them all. I didn't ask but I'm sure you're welcome to bring equipment if you like.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2004, 04:54 pm »
I'll be there :-D

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2004, 05:01 pm »
Sounds like a sweet event.  I'll be returning from a business trip the night before, but I should be able to make it.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2004, 06:06 pm »
My son has tryouts for the DU youth hockey travel team that week-end.

It looks like I will have to miss it. :(

brad b

Jerry's toys!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2004, 12:20 pm »
Mike:  thanks for posting on behalf of Jerry.  I would love to hear his new setup.  Since we are going north, maybe we could car pool again.  Let me know.
thx
Brad

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2004, 02:21 pm »
Brad,

Carpooling is fine by me but I'll be going up quite a bit earlier to help Jerry set up. We are going to experiment with positioning both sets of speakers for optimal results for each speaker and making careful measurements so that both can be swapped in and out with repeatability. We are trying to take as many variables out as possible and present both speakers in the most optimal fashion.

I'll probably be heading up no later than 11:00 and perhaps earlier. Still have to discuss that with Jerry.

Mike

EDS_

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2004, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
My son has tryouts for the DU youth hockey travel team that week-end.

It looks like I will have to miss it. :(

Does Denver Univ. sponsor kid hockey? Very cool. I wish your son luck.
My son made a AA team, their travel schedule is crazy (Denver, Stl., Chicago, Madison).......all tryouts around here were several weeks ago.

Again good luck to your boy.

brad b

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2004, 08:56 pm »
Mike:  I'll let you guys dial it in and then show up to steal the primo seat, hows that....
Brad

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2004, 11:19 pm »
EDS_,

Congratulations to your son on making the team!

DU has had a youth hockey program for many, many years.
http://www.recreation.du.edu/ice/youthHockey.html

Some of the same coaches and trainers that work with the Champion DU Pioneers work with the youth teams. They practice and play at Magness Arena.

My son has been playing Ice Hockey all summer and the playoffs for that are coming up next week. He is also playing in an Elite Adult Inline Hockey league. He plays Inline for his High Scholl in fall. We shall jf he is good enough to play Ice for DU.

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2004, 03:31 am »
I should be able to make it. It's very nice of Jerry (Gerry?) to cater
the BBQ in, I promise not to get drool or sauce on his new speakers (or old ones for that matter).

I can bring some good SACD discs, if anyone wants.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2004, 03:48 am »
I would love to here the Alphas,  count me in.

Sean

audiojerry

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2004, 05:36 am »
Sounds like a great event guys, but tell me how you are getting two pairs of massive speakers in one place?

PS: it also sounds like a great set of supporting components.

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2004, 01:09 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Sounds like a great event guys, but tell me how you are getting two pairs of massive speakers in one place?

He actually owns both sets of speakers. He's had the RM-40's for quite a while and recently purchased a set of the Alpha LS. Now I can say that moving them down the stairs to his listening room was less than fun. ;)

audiojerry

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2004, 11:05 pm »

He actually owns both sets of speakers.

WOW!

Xi-Trum

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2004, 01:25 am »
Ok, guys.  When is the fireworks going off?   :D

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2004, 02:22 pm »
I just received the schedule for the tryouts. My son does not have to be there until 5:00 pm on Saturday.

Jerry, if the offer is still open, I would like to drop by for a bit. Got any vegetarian BBQ? :lol:

Mike, If you guys wouldn't mind some help setting up, I could bring my laptop and RTA gear over early. If there is time on Saturday, I could also bring a pair of Horn Shoppe Corner Horns. Then we could compare line source to point source :)

EDS_

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2004, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
EDS_,

Congratulations to your son on making the team!

DU has had a youth hockey program for many, many years.
http://www.recreation.du.edu/ice/youthHockey.html

Some of the same coaches and trainers that work with the Champion DU Pioneers work with the youth teams. They practice and play at Magness Arena.

My son has been playing Ice Hockey all summer and the playoffs for that are coming up next week. He is also playing in an Elite Adult Inline Hockey league. He plays Inline for his High Scholl in fall. We shall jf he is good enough to play Ice for DU.

I can't get over it.....a kid league associated with DU. What a  wonderful thing for DU-Ice Hockey to do.

I hope your son skates well and "makes" his choice of teams. Tell him a Texan is pulling for him.

Turk

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2004, 02:43 pm »
Wayne, really happy you can make it. :D   However, I guess you will have to settle for beans and salad, chicken is as far down the food chain as I go.

By the way, I came across a pair of Amperex 7062, "pinched waist" tubes for the Denon, ,marked as CEI from France.  Excellent sound and cheap.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2004, 03:56 pm »
I invited Gary over to give a listen, and Steve (my non-audiophile friend).  I assume that's OK, but if not let me know.

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:08 pm »
What about Jason/Pez? Has anyone heard from him lately? Is he going to make it?