Speaker recommendations for my amps....

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Speaker recommendations for my amps....
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2020, 06:42 pm »
I heard that very Grommes amp driving Wilson Watt/Puppy 8's once. This at decent levels as well. That is certainly the strongest 2 watts I've ever heard, especially considering it was coming from an EL84. Needless to say everyone present really wanted to hear this amp's true potential with a speaker approaching 100 db in efficiency.

It can be switched to pentode for 5 watts.

Sorry for the off topic OP.  :oops:

guf

« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2020, 06:53 pm »
I have used the 45 tube on all my Klipsch speakers, omega, and Altec.  Currently using a modified Belle. I tried more power and doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Kray

« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2020, 08:01 pm »
I have used the 45 tube on all my Klipsch speakers, omega, and Altec.  Currently using a modified Belle. I tried more power and doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Very nice! is that a Oliver Sayes or Thomas Mayer?

guf

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2020, 02:29 am »
yeah Thomas Mayer. I have an sonic_oil at my desktop, with Omega cams.

Kray

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2020, 02:40 am »
yeah Thomas Mayer. I have an sonic_oil at my desktop, with Omega cams.

You mean sonic_OLI as in Oliver  :D
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2020, 06:48 am by Kray »

roscoe65

« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2020, 03:43 am »
If I am not mistaken you have two Oliver Sayes amps.  One happens to be designed by Thomas Mayer.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2020, 12:24 pm »

Very nice on the Klipsch! I am assuming crossovers by Al Klappenberger, and a nice waveguide from Dave Harris, aka Fastlane Eliptrac 400! Welcome back to constant directivity, enjoy!

Best,
Anand.

guf

« Reply #27 on: 14 Dec 2020, 05:27 pm »
ahhh Sonic_ OLI  funny  :D

Anand, yup Al's extreme slope.  AND to your liking, i'm sure, I also have Duke's swarm.  I have to say that could be my best purchase. I'm sure it helps my lower power amps, and all my speaker choices. Also i direct my horns to cross about a foot in front of my listening position.

On topic for the op.  I had my Omega HO sams with 45amp and also used a 300b. But I loved my 45 so much I want to find a speaker more suited. That brought me into the Klipsch world. Then that opened my eyes to the power of a horn. And the weird thing is most of the Klipsch guys use high powered solid state amps. And most of us here would never use Klipsch.
 go figure
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2020, 08:12 pm by guf »

guf

« Reply #28 on: 14 Dec 2020, 05:35 pm »
Thanks! I've thought about DIY with Coral or Lii drivers too
oh yeah i have these too.  I started with the raw drivers, then picked up these locally. Also worked for me.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #29 on: 14 Dec 2020, 06:34 pm »
Lii Audio's new Silver 10 in their cabinet, not sure of the price:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1607832814/12#12

sfox7076

« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2020, 01:05 am »
Oliver has an 801a amp he just finished that is pretty insane.  4W, but fancy iron.  So its going to be $$$.

Shawn

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #31 on: 15 Dec 2020, 02:51 am »
Sorry to barge in, but I have two quick things to say. The first is that I keep reading good reports/posts/impressions from excited Lii owners declaring how much they love them. It makes me want to try a pair.

The second is to admonish guf. It's photos such as this one of your listening room that make me really want to buy more speakers and/or low powered tube amps to further experience the joys of great audio.....yet my doing so could easily create problems in my marriage.  :duh: What's an addict enthusiast to do?

Michael

oh yeah i have these too.  I started with the raw drivers, then picked up these locally. Also worked for me.

tizman

« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2020, 10:33 am »
Years ago, when I started building single ended tube amps, I had a pair of ADS L810 which are rated at 94 DB/W/M.  The first few amps I built were triode connected EL84 amps with around 2 watts.  The ADS L810 did need a bit more power than 2 watts for some music, but were fine most of the time in my previous listening room (16' X 4' X 8').  The next set of speakers I bought were Klipsch Quartets (97.5 DB/W/M), followed soon after by Klipsch Heresy II (96 DB/W/M).  These two are both obviously louder than the ADS with the same 2 watts, and just loud enough for my new listening room.  For me, given 2.5 watts for a 45 amp, I would want 96 DB/W/M at a minimum in my current listening room (25' X 16' X 7').  I now mostly use La Scalas at 104 DB/W/M, and 2.5 watts with this sensitivity is crazy loud at full volume.  If I were you, I would be looking for speakers with 96 DB/W/M sensitivity at a minimum, and ideally would want 100+ DB/W/M.

Kray

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jan 2021, 01:50 am »

These have been on my radar for a while... what's your take on them?

Kray

« Reply #34 on: 1 Jan 2021, 01:51 am »
Oliver has an 801a amp he just finished that is pretty insane.  4W, but fancy iron.  So its going to be $$$.

Shawn

Drool....  :drool:

Oliver is building me a 26 based dual chassis preamp right now, but next I think I'll get a 801a or 421a amp built by Oliver.

Lefatshe

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2022, 12:47 am »
It seems few are answering the OP's question about high sensitivity/high efficiency speakers for flea watt amps.  These are the manufacturers that come to mind:  Vaughn, Volti, WLM, Daedalus, Charney.  I recommend looking at the PDF at the bottom of the AVSForum list of high sensitivity/high efficiency speaker list.  The PDF is a static table with a lot of data on speakers, or you can get the sortable spreadsheet, to sort by sensitivity. Lots to choose from, although the list hasn't been updated with newer manufacturers.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers.1387083/

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2022, 01:44 am »
It seems few are answering the OP's question about high sensitivity/high efficiency speakers for flea watt amps.  These are the manufacturers that come to mind:  Vaughn, Volti, WLM, Daedalus, Charney. 

Which one of those are you finding for $1500 used?  :o
Part of the OP's request.

thetakeout

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2022, 03:47 am »
Old thread but still applicable for the peanut gallery.

1,500 and low watt friendly doesn't leave lots of options.  I know because this is the price point I have hunted for a long time.

Lii has options. 
Omegas has a couple of options. 

It quickly turns into buying drivers and building your own baffles or cabinets.