Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

1oldguy

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #500 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:25 pm »
I would go with Green - we are having issues sourcing Blue for the DAC?

james

I agree with James......Plus you will live longer. :wink:

mystabg

« Reply #501 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:10 pm »
OK so Green it especially if I will live longer

mystabg

« Reply #502 on: 26 Dec 2010, 07:57 pm »
Hi Al

No the BDP-1 can play any number of songs. It just takes longer to load a T-BIT drive over say a 16-G thumb drive which takes a few seconds. Once the USB drive is loaded it stays loaded and you can access the song lists very quickly through whatever interface your using - mPod, iPad, iTouch, iPhone your computer, minion etc. or Bryston web interface.

I realize some people want to play with thousands of files at a time but I think most will use the BDP-1 as I do.

For instance I have a 500G USB hardrive connected to the back of the BDP-1 and it has about 5000 songs on it.  Then I have about 10 Thumbdrives with different material - a Jazz one, a Classical one, a top 25 favorites etc. which I use from night to night depending on my mood.

One of the things I have noticed since I have been using the BDP-1 is I tend to use it more like a large CD player rather than a server.  By that I mean it was kind of neat using all the intefaces on the iPod and Itouch and my computer and such but I found after a while I just wanted to turn out the lights and listen to a few songs.  So I found myself turning off the large and brightly lit interfaces and just using the BR2 remote with the BDP-1 and some thumbdrives and just advancing through my playlists using the Bryston BR2 remote in the dark and sipping my wine- but hey that's me!

james

James when using the thumb drives  and after they are  loaded you can start at the fist song and the rest will play in order automatically without using the BR2 remote correct? I only ask because you mention Just advancing through your playlist using the BR2 I assume you mean skipping some and listening to others.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #503 on: 26 Dec 2010, 08:16 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi,

The BR-2 will forward / reverse etc. once you're within a specfic playlist.  So if the playlist has 10 songs or 500 songs it will work accordingly.

If you have say 3 Thumbdrives loaded (EX: Beatles, James Favorites, and Show Demo)  and you want to play all of them and their complete contents then you would simply hit PLAY on the front panel or the BR-2 remote when the front panel display says "USB".

If you want to play only 1 of the 3 Thumbdrives loaded then you would load the specfic Thumbdrive (Show Demo) then hit PLAY.

james

mystabg

« Reply #504 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:08 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi,

The BR-2 will forward / reverse etc. once you're within a specfic playlist.  So if the playlist has 10 songs or 500 songs it will work accordingly.

If you have say 3 Thumbdrives loaded (EX: Beatles, James Favorites, and Show Demo)  and you want to play all of them and their complete contents then you would simply hit PLAY on the front panel or the BR-2 remote when the front panel display says "USB".

If you want to play only 1 of the 3 Thumbdrives loaded then you would load the specfic Thumbdrive (Show Demo) then hit PLAY.

james

James, thanks for the great explanation.BY the way which codec do you use AIFF or FLAC? I have an Apple Laptop and would like to use ALAC but it does not seem to be supported OR is it? So I guess AIFF as I'am not sure how well FLAC works with itunes. If FLAC works well with itunes I could save HD space.I'am not very computer literate so sorry for all the questions.

srb

« Reply #505 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:31 pm »
According to the BDP-1 page on the Bryston website, it "can play all high resolution FLAC, WAVE and AIFF files up to and including native 192/24 bit files as well as Apple Lossless (m4a), WMP and MP3".

iTunes does not natively support FLAC, so you would need to use a third party conversion program to convert FLAC files to ALAC or AIFF.

Steve

mystabg

« Reply #506 on: 26 Dec 2010, 10:18 pm »
According to the BDP-1 page on the Bryston website, it "can play all high resolution FLAC, WAVE and AIFF files up to and including native 192/24 bit files as well as Apple Lossless (m4a), WMP and MP3".

iTunes does not natively support FLAC, so you would need to use a third party conversion program to convert FLAC files to ALAC or AIFF.

Steve
Steve,Thanks I guess AIFF will be the easiest for me.  External HD space is cheap. Anyone know how many minutes of play a32GB thumb drive can hold If AIFF codec is used?Thanks Gary

srb

« Reply #507 on: 26 Dec 2010, 10:39 pm »
External HD space is cheap. Anyone know how many minutes of play a 32GB thumb drive can hold If AIFF codec is used?

16-bit/44.1KHz uncompressed stereo audio (AIFF or WAV) uses a little over 10MB/min, so a 32GB drive will hold > 3000 minutes or > 50 hours.

Steve

mystabg

« Reply #508 on: 26 Dec 2010, 11:41 pm »

16-bit/44.1KHz uncompressed stereo audio (AIFF or WAV) uses a little over 10MB/min, so a 32GB drive will hold > 3000 minutes or > 50 hours.

Steve
Steve Awesome just what I was looking for.Thanks Gary

SFOX

« Reply #509 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:50 am »
James

Which of the LEDs on the DAC would be blue on special order:

Sample Rate

Input Selected

Standby

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #510 on: 27 Dec 2010, 02:30 am »
James

Which of the LEDs on the DAC would be blue on special order:

Sample Rate

Input Selected

Standby

All of them.

james

Napalm

« Reply #511 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:54 am »
James,

Please don't forget to include as an option some "black light" LEDs. Priceless for cave bats like Laundrew  :green:

Nap.  :jester:

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #512 on: 28 Dec 2010, 09:10 am »
Hi,

sorry, but I cannot find BDP manual on Bryston site. I am not yet BDP owner, but would like to take a look into manual.

James, is it possible to download .pdf from some location?

Thanks a lot,
Oz

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #513 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:25 pm »
Hi,

sorry, but I cannot find BDP manual on Bryston site. I am not yet BDP owner, but would like to take a look into manual.

James, is it possible to download .pdf from some location?

Thanks a lot,
Oz

Hi Oz,

email me at jamestanner@bryston.com - it is 4MG

james

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #514 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:55 pm »
James,

I've sent you an email.

thanks,
Oz

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #515 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:23 pm »
Hi James,

Me, too!  :thumb:

Gene

James,

I've sent you an email.

thanks,
Oz

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #516 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:02 pm »
James,

any measurements done by Bryston regarding the BDP-1's jitter at the AES/EBU & BNC output?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #517 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:40 pm »
James,

any measurements done by Bryston regarding the BDP-1's jitter at the AES/EBU & BNC output?

al.

The jitter will be determined by the DAC you use.

james

TomS

« Reply #518 on: 8 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
The jitter will be determined by the DAC you use.

james
Actually, the transport is a major contributor unless it has been re-clocked by the DAC or an external reference.  That said, the ESI Juli@ card in there is very, very good, probably made even better by Bryston linear supplies and attention to all of the details  :thumb:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #519 on: 8 Mar 2011, 10:42 am »
James, shouldn't this move as well?