The End of an Era - Saying Goodbye to My Jeep

WGH

The End of an Era - Saying Goodbye to My Jeep
« on: 20 Jun 2023, 12:07 am »
I bought my 1977 Jeep Wagoneer brand new in 1977 when I was 28 years old and it has been my steady companion and daily driver for the last 46 years. Extremely reliable, my friends and I have been transported around the US and into the middle of nowhere many times over. But even I have to admit it is getting old, a little cranky and with a few more rattles than when new. Almost every part has been replace at least twice, hey, there are airplanes flying that are older than my Jeep, but it's time to let someone else have some fun.

The 360c.i. V8 engine, Quadra-Trac full time 4-wheel drive and 2.57:1 Borg-Warner BW1339 low range reduction unit will go anywhere, I have never found a mountain the Jeep wouldn't climb. I have been scared many times and given up way before the Jeep did. Slick highways and snow covered roads feel like dry pavement because the Quadra-Trac is constantly moving torque to the wheels that are not slipping.

A frozen lake covered in snow, no problem.

We took the Jeep 4-wheeling in the fall of 1977 when it was still brand new, even with the stock white wall street tires it would climb like a badger.

Back in the '70's the co-pilot was in charge of the beers, as you can see Jack was doing a fine job.

After 280,950 amazing miles I have decided to put my Jeep up for sale. Restored Jeeps of this era sell for $12,000 - $20,000. I'm selling mine for $7,100 which leaves a lot of room for restoration while having too much fun exploring all the out of the way places you always wanted to go without worrying about scrapes and scratches. And you can drive it as-is without putting a dime in it, everything works 100%.

A lot more info and photos at the link below, see it and drive it in Tucson, AZ:
https://www.wghwoodworking.com/sale.html

What could ever replace my Jeep you ask?

A 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx

Wayne

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: The End of an Era - Saying Goodbye to My Jeep
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2023, 12:36 am »
280,000+ miles!  :o Very impressive, Wayne.  :notworthy: :bowdown:

That kind of service and longevity make me think I should just hang onto my 2007 Prerunner for another dozen (or more) years. It's only got 105,000 miles on it. My only complaint is that it doesn't have 4-wheel drive.

Great choice in new vehicle BTW.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2023, 12:45 am »
My family had an old wagoneer like that (but blue) when I was growing up. That thing went EVERYWHERE without even breaking a sweat. We used it to mob through 10' tall blackberry bushes to cut in our motocross track. If I could afford the fuel for one, I'd totally drive one now. Unfortunately I buy too many records to fund that.  :lol: Glad to hear you bought some new wheels for yourself. Those new Subawoos are a great car.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2023, 01:08 am »
The 70s, the stuff we did just horrifies people who grew up later than we did.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2023, 01:37 am »
We used it to mob through 10' tall blackberry bushes to cut in our motocross track.

The back roads (way) outside of Tucson are pretty rugged. The trail to the abandoned Hayhook Ranch in the Coyote Mountains is overgrown with mesquite, you can hear loud screeches on both sides when driving through the thorny branches. Whatever paint they used on the Jeep back then is practically indestructible.

The area around the Coyote Mountains have been inhabited for a very long time. My best friend and her husband used to live out there in an old adobe building, literally the definition of in the middle of nowhere. We go out there once in a while. The building has been abandoned for 40 years and is falling in, it's location is kept private.

Rugged, independent people have lived and died out there.

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2023, 07:40 pm »
nice write up !  gotta be tough to say goodbye to an 'old friend' ! enjoy your Subbie  :thumb:

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2023, 12:37 am »
Great story.

I have a Land Cruiser still going semi-strong after 320,000 miles. Got it when my 16 year old daughter was born. This past weekend she  ran it into a tree in our driveway. It's not if but when kids are going to get in a wreck. No harm but some broken glass and some dented metal. She booohood and was soooo sorry, which is exactly the reaction I could hope for. Better to learn lessons in the driveway than the interstate.
Old cars are like old friends... full of memory's.