What do you use for exterior car washing?

rif

• Not a cowboy
What do you use for exterior car washing?
« on: 18 Apr 2022, 02:27 pm »
I just got a 2018 fiat 124 abarth, love it so far.  So do the birds  :(

Amazon has a bunch of kits from Meguiars, Chemical guys, armor all and some others I've never heard of.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  I'm not looking to go all out here, just something for a weekly clean.

If it matters, it's white with a soft top convertible roof.

dflee

Re: What do you use for exterior car washing?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2022, 02:39 pm »
Nice find. Looks great.
I use Meguiars car wash and follow it with a spritz of ceramic spray and the vehicles look great.
It's pouring down right now and the truck is beading up perfectly.

Don

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:46 pm »
Indoor parking.. All  I do is rinse the car off (and maybe run my hand over the lower portions) if (and only if) it got wet anyway. Like I had to drive in the rain, or with snow on the streets. then I rinse it off when I get back. use a squeegee to strip the water off and park.
I have gone as long as a year without rinsing the car off.
IT is 8 years old and looks like new.
IT is a lot easier retired.
last car I had while working, and it started to get some rust* because sitting on streets all day while at work. Cleaned that one same way, 13 years..
*in a small pocket at bottom corner below/ahead of front door. I never noticed it until it was already too late.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2022, 04:38 pm »
Meguiars D10101 Shampoo Plus car wash is my go-to for exterior, and their D10101 all purpose cleaner for damn near everything else. That stuff is magic. Also I love their D16101 Non-Silicone Dressing for any wheels/trim dressing you need to do. Leave it on for full shiny look, or wipe with a rag for a smooth satin look. Their Detailer series stuff is quite good, the "gold class" is generic parts store weak sauce. Outside of that series from Meguiars, I can also recommend 3D products, but they're a bit more $ and usually are so concentrated that a personal use item would be a lifetime supply.

-Lloyd

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2022, 04:53 pm »
For the shampoo did you mean, Meguiar's D11101 Shampoo Plus, 1 Gallon, Blue?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2022, 05:52 pm »
Yup. That's the ticket. An automotive paint store should be charging around $24/gallon and have it on the shelf.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2022, 06:53 pm »
You have had some excellent advice for actual wash for the car.

For the roof consider the Raggtop kit.  There is one for canvas and one for vinyl, buy the right one.  I use it once per year on my CLK canvas roof.

I would also consider Turtle Wax (yes, I know) Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax - https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

I used to carnuba wax the Benz, but after trying the TW stuff (I lurk on detailing forums) I was smitten.  Simple to use, and provides an excellent coating.  I put on the 2 layers, 24 hours apart last summer and I can still feel it on the paint.  I use it monthly on my rims as the brake dust is madness on MB it seems.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2022, 12:52 am »

I would also consider Turtle Wax (yes, I know) Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax - https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

I used to carnuba wax the Benz, but after trying the TW stuff (I lurk on detailing forums) I was smitten.  Simple to use, and provides an excellent coating.  I put on the 2 layers, 24 hours apart last summer and I can still feel it on the paint.  I use it monthly on my rims as the brake dust is madness on MB it seems.

You know your stuff.   :thumb:

According to this test (pretty rigorous IMO) it bests several others that are well regarded and pricier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

djpk

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2022, 03:00 am »
I've been happy with Meguiers and Armorall detergents for the exterior. Take a look at what Griot's Garage has to offer. I've used their products as well and found them to be quite good.