Any Threads for Audio/Component Stands

Barilko

Any Threads for Audio/Component Stands
« on: 20 Apr 2020, 09:44 pm »
Helo everyone

im pretty certain i shouldnt be here under starter threads and i apologize

can anyone please point me towards threads about Audio Stands etc i couldnt find any in the search window  sorry  and Thanks....

Phil A

Re: Any Threads for Audio/Component Stands
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2020, 01:07 am »
I'm sure there are.  What type of stand are you looking for and what's your budget?  You'll find some under the Odyssey Audio Circle as Klaus makes Massiv Racks - http://odysseyaudio.com/Odyssey-furniture.pdf   He can make them to your specs.  I designed what I wanted and he made it.  He also made me matching speaker stands.

Bob Stark

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2020, 04:20 am »
Hey Phil,

I like the stands you designed and Odyssey had built for you.  Could you tell me the outside dimensions of it WHD, and what it cost for your particular build?  That is a very nice design. Did it have any benefits on the sound of your system?   I have a good friend that might love that exact design and definitely the build quality.

Thanks for answering,
Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2020, 11:58 am »
Have found over the years that the smaller the rack the better.  Shorter wires can be used if located between speakers and less blocking of soundstage with a smaller/lower rack.  In fact my current system consist of one component, a NAD M10 "streaming amplifier".  Racks of themselves add nothing to the sound, but should be on soft footers if placed on soft (wooden) floors if a turntable is used.  Used TimberNation.com for my current small rack, very well built and affordable.  The rack is 4ft from front wall in dedicated room, making hookups easy. 

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:54 pm »
Hey Phil,

I like the stands you designed and Odyssey had built for you.  Could you tell me the outside dimensions of it WHD, and what it cost for your particular build?  That is a very nice design. Did it have any benefits on the sound of your system?   I have a good friend that might love that exact design and definitely the build quality.

Thanks for answering,
Bob

I don't recall the exact cost (it was almost 6 years ago and I'm sure many materials have gone up in price) but it probably was over $3k (I don't think it was $4k).  The racks start probably at about a third of what I paid.  Klaus had to send it air freight and then find someone to drive it from Orlando airport to my house (just under an hour - didn't have a vehicle big enough to take it and the net weight of everything was about 350 lbs.).  I think the transportation was around $550 alone, including getting it from the airport to my house.  I was looking at another rack (that was actually a few more dollars).  I had the screen mounted and had already closed on the house and was ready for a rack.  Even though I had spoke to the owner of the other company, he didn't return calls or answer emails when I was ready to buy.  I had lunch with someone who had racks by that other company at the 2013 Capital Audiofest (and I moved at the end of the year) and told me he had ordered ones of Klaus' racks and suggested I talk to him.  It's about 94 inches wide and the middle section where the center channel is located is about 34 inches wide.  It is about 23.5 inches deep.  I originally desinged it so I could fit a couple of amplifiers in the middle lower section (having an integrated AV system) but at this point I have one.  Below are pics of the stands and also a recent pic of the rack so you can guage how equipment fits in (each side can fit a component 19 inches wide - the drawing I did for Klaus had dimensions on it - he was great to work with since he'll do it the way you want.  I'm sure if you search the Odyssey Circle you'll find pics of other racks.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm »
Here's an older pic of a close-up of one side of the rack (so one can see the bottom has the 19 inch space and the middle shelf a bit less:

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:05 pm »
Hey Phil,

Thanks for answering,
Bob

Bob - just re-read you post.  I don't recall the speaker stand price (it was a minor piece).  The price I mentioned was for everything.  I gave Klaus the dimensions of my speakers so he could make the top plate (and I have museum putty underneath each speaker).  From memory, one set of stands was 24 inches high and the other 20.  The back surround speaker one one side fits underneath a kitchen counter overhang (and I have them gently tilted up) and is around 6 feet behind the listening chair. 

They way the rack is built as I noted above, I have 34 inches of length for a center channel.  The middle shelf hangs over a bit so at the very bottom of the middle shelf there is probably 36 inches of space.  As I noted I originally had two 17 inch wide amplifiers.  I've moved things over the years and changed amplfiers and music servers.  The below is also an older pic (about 3 years ago and the other older) of the room that gives a bit more of the picture (the side surrounds are behind the ATS Acoustics panels.  Also, there is a pic of the speakers on the stands (one pair of the Thiel SCS2s were originally black ash, which I picked up used and I stripped them down and painted them and had them mounted on the wall of the bedroom of my old house and re-painted them the color of the walls of the new one and I have a pic of the old bedroom system so it is easier to see what I am talking about).

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:53 pm »
This is a a great idea and also resurrects my quest for a "mid priced horizontal rack.  I really love the open horizontal racks made by timber nation, fern and Roby and butcher block acoustics but alas they are all about $900 to twice that.   Does anyone have a NON diy option for something similar a lower price level?   I have searched but can’t seem to find anything.
 I have to believe there is something between the cheap particle board target rack Im currently using and the beautiful examples from Klaus and in the pics below.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:38 pm »
Helo everyone

im pretty certain i shouldnt be here under starter threads and i apologize

can anyone please point me towards threads about Audio Stands etc i couldnt find any in the search window  sorry  and Thanks....
Lets stay this thread in this Circle for now.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

kbuzz3

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2020, 11:01 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  Wish that monolith was horizontal.   It would be killer is so.
Still looking for an affordable Horizontal rack....

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2020, 12:05 am »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  Wish that monolith was horizontal.   It would be killer is so.
Still looking for an affordable Horizontal rack....

If you're looking for that type of configuration, best to look at a TV stand if you want something reasonably priced

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/trent-austin-design-knapp-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-58-tadn4750.html?piid=

Barilko

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:39 am »
Great stuff ill be back to hunt  except i am in Canada

im surprised that there are no other threads on this subject  so as suggested above i guess we stay here

Thanks everyone   nice looking setup Phil A   and thanks for all the input

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2020, 11:24 am »
Have you looked into Ikea?  Years ago bought a small nightstand (20.4"W x 15.8"D x 20.5"T) (thanks to the suggestion by a fellow ACer) that had two adjustable shelves (17.6"W x 15.8"D).  It was enough to hold my entire system and cost $45 delivered.  Unfortunately that particular piece is no longer available, but I'm sure others are.

Along with my previous post, have you considered amp stands (single component shelves that are spiked to the floor).  Used to be a purist thing to keep components as low as possible yet between the speakers. 

Resist the expensive big game hunter urge to keep collecting lots of impressive looking gear.  Simplify and get back to the music. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2020, 01:09 pm »

Huh?!   :scratch:

Your search window must be different than mine.    :lol:

This ground has been covered quite heavily.  There are dozens of threads, here's just a couple with some good ideas:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159456.0

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137410

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2020, 01:18 pm »
Great stuff ill be back to hunt  except i am in Canada

im surprised that there are no other threads on this subject  so as suggested above i guess we stay here

Thanks everyone   nice looking setup Phil A   and thanks for all the input

Thanks.  Ikea as noted above also may have some excellent and reasonably priced things.  Some of the links I posted are just examples and one has to dig into the links within the websites I listed to find other things that may be of interest (e.g. Wayfair).  I have other systems with space limitations and sometimes it is hard finding appropriate furniture.  In my bedroom system, I looked a long time and couldn't find much to match my bedroom furniture which is oak and hand made by the Amish.  I finally found one company that made something that was also deep enough for real world audio components (that is a problem with many things).  I went to a local store and they had another company that was able to make me something and a matching desk (where I have a spare PC in the bedroom) and it was not super expensive but looks nice.  I have a couple of other instances where the wall space was limited so I had to get something not too wide where I can could fit speakers and also get a matching end table next to the couch.  In my old house I actually built a DVD rack as was running out of space I couldn't find anything to fit where I wanted.  It was not the most sophisticated thing in the world but it worked.

Barilko

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:17 am »
Huh?!   :scratch:

Your search window must be different than mine.    :lol:

This ground has been covered quite heavily.  There are dozens of threads, here's just a couple with some good ideas:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159456.0

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137410

Thank you very much  i may not quite be used to searching threads here  again thanks

Barilko

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:21 am »
I do appreciate the input
and though getting back to music is probably a very smart call
i really do want to grab a proper audio stand that does dampen/kill any vibrations
i do realize there is always differing opinions but i do have to believe that a propererly isolated audio stand is sure to help in the never ending search for audio nirvana...