Audio racks?

chgolatin2

Audio racks?
« on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:40 pm »
Any good recommendations for audio racks, I have way too many audio pieces and I don't want to get a rack locally which are made very cheaply.  Below $500 should fit the bill...  Suggestions?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Audio racks?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2015, 10:52 pm »
How many pieces, what are their sizes, how would you want them organized? 

Make sure to check all dimensions before ordering.  I just helped a friend assembly a new, larger rack (went from single to double wide) and sure enough one we had to remove the cover of his power amps so it'd fit. 

How do you define a "good" rack?  Does it have to look good/decent?  Seems like racks have gotten much more expensive in recent years.

Check out Ikea TV stands, I see they have a couple of larger ones for $49.  For years I used a $30 20"W x 20"H x 15"D Ikea nightstand that had 2 adjustable shelves (top, bottom, sides were quite thick) that could hold three 17 inch wide components plus an oversized piece on the top. 

Heavy/cheap would be pieces of pre-laminated countertop resting on concrete blocks.  Use felt or blue tack.

Variations of the flexy rack can be cheaply and easily DIY'd.  Again I'd consider pre-laminated countertop.

If heavy and look-some are both requirements check out Timber Nation.  The pieces shown are all upscale, simpler designs/materials should be cheaper.

smata67

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2015, 11:24 pm »

wes_in_va

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2015, 11:59 pm »
I use a VTI BL304 rack like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/VTI-Audio-Video-Tower-Component/dp/B00AETVBOG

I filled the legs with sand and I've been very happy with it.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2015, 12:19 am »
If you want to go the DYI route, here is some info - http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:43 am »
I think the salamander archetype racks are the best cheap racks. Infinitely adjustable, stackable, very sturdy when bolted down, spiked feet or heady duty caster available. They are time consuming to put together and the new finish is sensitive ton scrapes, but otherwise nothing to complain about. I own and use many daily.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2015, 05:35 am »
The Flexi is nice because you can actually level it very easily if you do three all-threads.

ACHiPo

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2015, 01:18 pm »
Here's one I built from 5/4 curly maple with a 3" slab of spalted curly maple for a top.  I use Herbies under the shelves and gliders under the legs.

(nothing succeeds like excess!)

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2015, 01:52 pm »
9 page thread on DIY audio racks.  Lots of ideas here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63111.0

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2015, 01:51 am »

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2015, 04:55 am »
I transformed this work bench in my basement, with a few 1x3 boards,
a sheet of wood veneer and piece of shelf material. It’s has a casual look
but it’s solid.

chgolatin2

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2015, 10:38 pm »
How many pieces, what are their sizes, how would you want them organized? 

Make sure to check all dimensions before ordering.  I just helped a friend assembly a new, larger rack (went from single to double wide) and sure enough one we had to remove the cover of his power amps so it'd fit. 

How do you define a "good" rack?  Does it have to look good/decent?  Seems like racks have gotten much more expensive in recent years.

Check out Ikea TV stands, I see they have a couple of larger ones for $49.  For years I used a $30 20"W x 20"H x 15"D Ikea nightstand that had 2 adjustable shelves (top, bottom, sides were quite thick) that could hold three 17 inch wide components plus an oversized piece on the top. 

Heavy/cheap would be pieces of pre-laminated countertop resting on concrete blocks.  Use felt or blue tack.

Variations of the flexy rack can be cheaply and easily DIY'd.  Again I'd consider pre-laminated countertop.

If heavy and look-some are both requirements check out Timber Nation.  The pieces shown are all upscale, simpler designs/materials should be cheaper.

Lets see I have quite a few pieces.  Turntable, Peachtree Audio iDecco, Phono Pre amp, Cary Audio SLI 80, Jolida FX 10 and lastly a DAC. 

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:53 pm »
You could try the container store and look into these. http://www.containerstore.com/s/shelving/intermetro/12
Here is what I was able to build. You will need to put some thought into it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2015, 10:28 am »
You could try the container store and look into these. http://www.containerstore.com/s/shelving/intermetro/12
Here is what I was able to build. You will need to put some thought into it.

Plenty sturdy, 18"D x 24"W or 48"W, infinitely adjustable height, not pricey and buy only what you need.  I likey   :thumb:

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2015, 12:10 pm »
Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. Got them on sale and thought they would work till I could afford a real rack, then use them in my garage for shelving when I was finished with them. After putting it together the first time I realized I could make it better.

The two 24" racks are sitting on Russian Birch on top of carpet, the 48" rack floats between the two 24" racks. The turntable, CD player , SACD player, and preamp are sitting on solid platform shelving, the rest are wire shelves. For the 48" and 24" solid shelves I added some viscoelastic deadener (http://www.b-quiet.com/products/b-quiet-ultimate-50sqft) to the underside of the shelves and used vinyl mats trimmed to fit for the top. The wire shelves are lined with clear rubber tubing. The shelves themselves are dead quite. I also used varying sizes of lead shot in the poles to add more weight and minimize vibrations through the poles, tapping the rack with something metallic results a dead thud with no ringing what so ever.

Funny thing though, after finishing the build and while setting up the turntable, I found out that as I walked across the floor towards the rack, the rack would bounce up and down. Had to make four H clamps to mount the four back posts to the wall, this way the front feet were just touching the Russian Birch slab. No more bounce when I approach the rack, although I couldn't hear any foot falls on the turntable while it was playing, I just wanted to be extra careful.

Like I said it takes a little planning.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm »
An easy DIY,  fairly inexpensive, with solid results.
Butcher block counter tops on craigslist  https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mad/5204918521.html
and a trip to the hardware store.
Some of the offerings on craigslist will be the cheap stuff that looks thick on the sides but is thin everywhere else.
Try to find solid 2" or at least 1.5".

I recently grabbed a 8 foot piece of rock maple, not pieced together, but full 8' length strips, from a deli counter. $60
It required a trip to the local lumber yard for to run through their thickness sander.
But when done it will make a great rack.

Greg

Syrah

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:00 pm »
That inter metro stuff is pretty cool.  I've seen Metro wire shelving before but I never thought it was appropriate audiophile furniture, but those solid shelves have got some potential.  The website says they're steel.  You could probably reinforce the top of each shelf with another material like MDF or hardboard and glue or epoxy it on.  Any thoughts?  I think I'd be inclined to trace a hardboard and/or MDF pattern to match the steel shelf and epoxy that on top, then a layer of something squishy then a hard top shelf.  You could still keep it under an inch.

It would be cheap, hard, and lighti'sh.

Then (assuming it's standard metro type posts) you could fill the posts with sand, lead shot, or spray foam to deaden them.  I'd go spray foam since it would not store energy like sand or shot, and it would tame post ringing.

C17FXR - is that the solid shelf you have at the top of your rack?  What's the gauge of the steel like?  For $30/shelf, I can't imagine it's that solid, but China is doing wonderful things...

It's good that they have a steel bottom too, I often worry about tube or other gear blowing something.  When I see things like the popular Ikea Lack Stack, each one has a light wood or pressboard bottom with a cardboard honeycomb interior.  You could scarcely pick a better fire starter.  Break out the marshmallows.

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:26 pm »
Great score on the Butcher Block, Greg!     :thumb:

I did something similar.....

I also scoured Craigs List for used butcher block tables.  My rack is 4 shelves / double wide so it took quite a while to find all I needed.  And some were in really bad shape, so lots of time / work to strip, sand and refinish.  Especially since I only have a front deck and hand tools, and virtually no woodworking experience!  Tied it all together with 80/20 center channel aluminum -- basically the same stuff used by Blinn, Adona, Salamander Synergy, and other rip off audio rack companies.  Made the whole thing for well under $400, and it actually came out straight and square!     :lol:

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:38 pm »
I really like the designs by ACHiPo and Brooklyn.  Obviously, I'm partial to the massive, sturdy and utilitarian aspects of butcher block.  Very pleasing to my eye.

Syrah

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:41 pm »
I see that Container Store also sells crossbars (i.e. Hanger Rails) that one could use on the sides and back to stiffen up the entire structure at $11-15/pop.  The cost would add up but I think you'd have something great sonically - light, hard, stiff.  Really cool.  I've found my next audio rack.  Thanks!