Eddie is Ready at THE SHOW in Newport Beach this weekend.

John Casler

We had all day yesterday to set up, tweak and tune the EVOKE Eddie, NuPRIME, WyWires System, and now it sounds glorious.  :thumb:

I was lucky enough to have the SWEET SEAT for much of the day.

Today is PRESS Day, and with a little luck we will raise some eyebrows.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Eddie is Ready at THE SHOW in Newport Beach this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2016, 06:05 pm »
That bodyguard looks familiar.  :icon_twisted:

Enjoy yourselves, John & Mark.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:49 pm »
That bodyguard looks familiar.  :icon_twisted:

Enjoy yourselves, John & Mark.

Just catching up on emails and such - thanks for the well wishes - the show was AWESOME

Evoke

• Industry Participant
Reviewers Love EDDIE - All Show Demos SOLD
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2016, 08:17 pm »
The show was a huge success. In spite of the SUCKY hotel rooms, JC and I, well JC mostly and an avid VMPS and now EDDIE lover managed to get the best sound of the room possible. Imaging to the far right and left was amazing. Center was dead on and spacial front to rear was great - even wiyj this rooms issues. The 9' ceiling wasn't terrible - but you can't control everything. We used the empty boxes behind the drapes as BASS TRAPS. That really helped!

We used the NuPrime K38 Amp - 4 channels in mono for 400 per side with the HD-AVP.  (Thank you JASON from NuPrime!) Cables were WyWires. We tried another high-end cable before switching and the difference was ridiculous. ANYONE could hear the difference! It was far from subtle. THANK YOU Alex Sventitsky for setting us up with power, XLR and speaker cables. EDDIE sounded better for it.

T.H.E. Show had record attendance this year - over 10,000. The elevators broke. ARGH. That said - see the picture and most of the time we had from 5 - 12 people in the room. I'm really sick of our playlist! :lol:

A number of the other vendors dropped by and spent some time listening to EDDIE. They were very complimentary including Andrew Jones of ELAC. If you have ever met him you know he is both an awesome designer AND human being.

REVIEWERS - A number of online publications dropped by and took notes. Lots of people took pictures. We got a lot of feedback - very positive. But a few top print folks came in - no names until comments go on record - but we were told we hit a home run, were shocked by the low price (There was a $75,000 speaker a the show!), and no "Golden Ears" could hear the crossover points - especially the transition between the planar mid to the woofer! (When they came in we cleared the room and locked the door  :thumb: )

So - needless to say I'm psyched!  We ended up selling every speaker we brought to the show. One buyer was from Asia that owns a recording studio and needed a reference monitor. That was quite a compliment.

Below are a group of 3 reviewers and a shot of the room full of listeners. I"ll be adding some EXCITING NEW stuff to the website as soon as my head stops spinning - I'm not wearing any shoes for the rest of the week...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

audioguy213

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2016, 08:37 pm »
congrats at such a successful debut!

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2016, 08:38 pm »
congrats at such a successful debut!

Thanks very much - I really appreciate it  :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:58 pm »
Question for either Mark or John:

Both in John's man cave and in the pictures above the Eddies were set up in near-field listening positions - at least it appears to be near-field in the pics. Is it that the Eddies sound best in near-field, or is it that both rooms suited near-field better? [Okay, I know John's setup is deliberately near-field.]

How do the Eddies fare at 8 and 11 foot distances?

Regards,

Michael

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2016, 10:56 pm »
Question for either Mark or John:

Both in John's man cave and in the pictures above the Eddies were set up in near-field listening positions - at least it appears to be near-field in the pics. Is it that the Eddies sound best in near-field, or is it that both rooms suited near-field better? [Okay, I know John's setup is deliberately near-field.]

How do the Eddies fare at 8 and 11 foot distances?

Regards,

Michael

Hello, Michael -

John loves a near-field situation which is very similar to the position an audio mixer uses in a recording studio. This would be a 1:1 ratio - i.e. Speakers 6 feet apart and the distance 6 feet to him - toe'd in as a direct sight line.

If EDDIE is 6 feet apart and you are 9 feet away, that's a 1:1.5 ratio - very similar to the mixing console position for a feature film... The other typical position is 2:1 which is the furthest for a laid back staging sound.

Now - each person has personal taste. I enjoy near-field very much,  but my personal preference is 1:1.5  In any case - whether you like front row, mid or back of a concert hall, attention should play a role in your listening room. As in John's room, the deadness keeps the room from interfering with the sound of the speaker. Recording studios often have hinged panels on the wall to change the characteristic from absorptive to reflective. A studio style is LEDE (live end dead end)... So simply, a floor is carpeted and the ceiling is hard, two walls are bare, two are absorptive. That's not entirely how it goes - but a good example.

I have several rooms. I have a dead room to truly check the speaker. John's "Cocoon" is even better for that. I also have a very typical room that has issues so I can see how speakers perform in the real world. EDDIE has midrange and tweeter level controls so you can fine tune to your environment. For example, my room is pretty normal so the controls are at noon/12 o'clock...  In John's absorptive room, they are almost at 3 o'clock...  In the room at THE Show, we had the speakers dialed back to 10 o'clock...

So if you have the speakers say, 6 feet apart and you are 8 - 11 feet away you are going to get a very nice sound stage. You can also play with having the speakers with and without toe in, or varying degrees of toe in. There is no exact formula - every room is different as is your personal taste. Yes there are guidelines and if you need - we can go into more detail. A sketch of your room or photo would help.

Bottom line, if a speaker is phase coherent - which EDDIE is -  you have a revealing speaker that when positioned right in your room will create a sound stage with amazing imaging - height, depth and sound beyond the left and right of the speakers.

That's a lot of stuff I talked about...  Hope this opens the conversation and I'm here to address any other new questions this may bring up...

Thanks, Mark