Job 225???

dspringham

Job 225???
« on: 12 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm »
The Job 225 amplifier has been getting a lot of "ink" on various audiophile forums. Just wondering if anyone has paired this amp with any of the Daedalus models.

I currently enjoy my RMA's (original crossover version) with the ncore 400's. Suprisingly I prefer the ncore to my Allnic 300b integrated. I know another RMA user here runs the ncore's as well.

Got me thinking about what the Job might do since it has been portrayed as another "punches way above it's weightclass" product.

Also, I'm embarrassed to ask (bought the speakers as pre-owned) but what are the corresponding settings for the 3-way tweeter selection switch on the back panel ie. which physical position corresponds to the "0", "+1", "-1" db settings.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Dave

mmcentyre

Re: Job 225???
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:07 am »
Dave, I just want to give you support for this question, because I was wondering the exact thing about the Job with my Pans.  A surprising number of owners seem to use solid state with Daedalus (at least to me).  I was also curious about any Leben or Shindo combinations, but don't want to hijack your thread.  Definitely curious about that little Job 225.  Thanks, Marske

david12

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2014, 11:32 am »
 I have not heard the Job, bit I agree,  many folks seem to use SS amps. For me, one of the main benefits of Daedalus, is that they do have high sensitivity and so can be easily driven by tube amps. I know they can take a lot of power, which is where SS comes in, but I don't find I seem to need it. I suppose it comes down to the sound you like and I have always been a tube fan.

Recently I have been using an ARC reference 75 power amp and I think that is a wonderful combination, I am not going to change

mmcentyre

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2014, 01:36 pm »
David12, that looks like a great amp.  I've always thought the KT120 tube might be a good match for Daedalus with it's extra power.  Best of both worlds.

dspringham

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:49 pm »
Hello david12,

I believe that you the RMA's as well. Would you be able to advise regarding question of the 3-position switch as per my original post. I am currently set at the uppermost position which I assume corresponds to the +1 db setting. Is this correct?

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:13 am »
I believe that you the RMA's as well. Would you be able to advise regarding question of the 3-position switch as per my original post. I am currently set at the uppermost position which I assume corresponds to the +1 db setting. Is this correct?
The switch is flat in the down position, I believe, the middle is -0.5db, the up is +0.5db.
The Daedalus speakers are not fussy about amp topology.The Job is a great amp, and should be great with the speakers, but I've yet to hear ANY amp that didn't sound great with Daedalus, and I've heard a Shindo, Hypex N-Core, Modwright and several others. And yes, you don't need much power; the Shindo was great with 10 WPC, but my N-Cores are 200 WPC. They all sound great but different, with taste and matchups being key. The overall quality of the amp should be top drawer to get the most out of them, of course.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2014, 03:41 am by jonbee »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:40 pm »
The switch is flat in the down position, I believe, the middle is -0.5db, the up is +0.5db.
The Daedalus speakers are not fussy about amp topology.The Job is a great amp, and should be great with the speakers, but I've yet to hear ANY amp that didn't sound great with Daedalus, and I've heard a Shindo, Hypex N-Core, Modwright and several others. And yes, you don't need much power; the Shindo was great with 10 WPC, but my N-Cores are 200 WPC. They all sound great but different, with taste and matchups being key. The overall quality of the amp should be top drawer to get the most out of them, of course.

The switch positions are different with different models and vintage, most of the recent dual tweeter models are at full in the middle position and attenuated in the up or down. The single tweeter models are different and also varied depending on the vintage and model. I'm actually quite embarrassed by this.  :oops:
I consider the full position to be 'flat' and the other two are attenuated, usually that position is either up or middle.  the attenuation is only .5db which is almost imperceptible, this is why I would consider all positions flat as there are more variances in room response etc than .5db.

The best option is to listen and decided which position is the 'brightest', that is the one in a good room which is 'flat'.  The purpose of the switch is to make minor adjustments for a room without skewing the system, and in a room that is a problem, that .5db change can make a real improvement.

btw, the older pre 2007 DA-1 was +/- 1db but since 2007 that has been about .5db.

My apologies for this confusion, of course if we had a staff of twenty this would have been cleared up long ago with a printed manual etc. (working on that), of course the speakers would cost $80K  :icon_lol:

We are currently clarifying the switch positions for all models.

thanks for your patience,
lou