X-3s are here

Don_S

Re: X-3s are here
« Reply #40 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:55 pm »
   The Track Audio Spikes worked very well for me. Previously decoupling speaker from floor. Not any more. :thumb:

charles

How long is the actual spike part? I mean the portion below the "Track" embossing. I have had speakers that came with spikes too short to penetrate carpet and padding. Even the cheapest replacement spikes made a big improvement when they penetrated to concrete. Four different thread sizes for the Track spikes makes them worth bookmarking for possible future needs.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #41 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:57 pm »
I guess I'm a little confused. I thought all spikes coupled the speaker to the floor.

Don_S

« Reply #42 on: 18 Nov 2019, 07:06 pm »
I guess I'm a little confused. I thought all spikes coupled the speaker to the floor.

Spikes have to contact a solid floor. If they do not penetrate carpet then they are not very effective. My opinion is they are useless in that situation. I know because I have experienced that with several speakers.

I do not know about spikes on cups on hard floors. I would think their effectiveness would be diminished. I have no experience there.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #43 on: 18 Nov 2019, 07:18 pm »
I might have to try a set of those. They certainly are cheap enough.......

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #44 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:30 pm »
Shakey, if you don't mind my asking, what amp are you now using with your X-3's?  I think you had a Decware Torii originally (I had the same once) then a Carver Crimson 275.  I noticed the Carver is for sale, so I'm curious if you found that was more power than necessary.  I'm using an Icepower 1200AS amp which is way more power than necessary, although it sounds very good, but I'm itching to go back to tubes.
Thanks,
Jeff

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #45 on: 7 Dec 2019, 03:49 pm »
How long is the actual spike part? I mean the portion below the "Track" embossing. I have had speakers that came with spikes too short to penetrate carpet and padding. Even the cheapest replacement spikes made a big improvement when they penetrated to concrete. Four different thread sizes for the Track spikes makes them worth bookmarking for possible future needs.

They are 1.65" long.

charles

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #46 on: 7 Dec 2019, 04:29 pm »
Does anyone know the thread size for the X-3 spikes?  I think I'll try the Track Audio Spikes.  Music Direct has them, with their usual 60 day satisfaction guarantee.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #47 on: 7 Dec 2019, 07:31 pm »
I think they are 1/4 20

Shakeydeal

« Reply #48 on: 9 Dec 2019, 03:04 pm »
I just wanted to make a post about the X3s after having lived with them a while.

I would guess that I have ~300 hours on the speakers presently. Although there were some changes early on, I think the improvements in the past 20 or so hours have been pretty dramatic.

I mentioned a in the beginning about the speakers being a little stiff, not wanting to boogie. Well that trait has completely disappeared and now the X3 is very lively and engaging. Dynamics have improved and the speakers can play at VERY loud levels without sounding strained. They sound more natural at higher SPLs now. This was one reservation I had coming from klipschorns. I still think the big corner horns are more effortless, but the gap has narrowed considerably. The X3 has nothing to be ashamed of when belting out hard rock.

Two other areas of improvement are inner detail and midrange purity. I can see further into the soundstage and instruments and voices have more texture and a "realness" to them.

In the beginning I liked the speakers very much. Then it was respect and admiration for what they were capable of. Now it is flat out over the top love. And most of this newfound goodness came around in the last 20-30 hours of listening. It was almost as if a switch was thrown, that's how quick the change came about.

So hopefully new X3 owners can take something from this. I never would have guessed it would take 3+ months to get there, but I think I'm there. If they get better than this, well that would be the icing..........

Shakey

jazzman463

« Reply #49 on: 9 Dec 2019, 03:45 pm »
Wow, good stuff. Still waiting on the M5's. I would guess full break in on the 5"s will be similar, same drivers. 

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #50 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:01 pm »
I have the M3's on order in Sepele and went back and forth probably driving Clayton crazy. :duh: He is a pleasure to work with!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #51 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:08 pm »
Well you guys have a lot to look forward to.

audioquest4life

« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2019, 01:17 am »
I just wanted to make a post about the X3s after having lived with them a while.

I would guess that I have ~300 hours on the speakers presently. Although there were some changes early on, I think the improvements in the past 20 or so hours have been pretty dramatic.

I mentioned a in the beginning about the speakers being a little stiff, not wanting to boogie. Well that trait has completely disappeared and now the X3 is very lively and engaging. Dynamics have improved and the speakers can play at VERY loud levels without sounding strained. They sound more natural at higher SPLs now. This was one reservation I had coming from klipschorns. I still think the big corner horns are more effortless, but the gap has narrowed considerably. The X3 has nothing to be ashamed of when belting out hard rock.

Two other areas of improvement are inner detail and midrange purity. I can see further into the soundstage and instruments and voices have more texture and a "realness" to them.

In the beginning I liked the speakers very much. Then it was respect and admiration for what they were capable of. Now it is flat out over the top love. And most of this newfound goodness came around in the last 20-30 hours of listening. It was almost as if a switch was thrown, that's how quick the change came about.

So hopefully new X3 owners can take something from this. I never would have guessed it would take 3+ months to get there, but I think I'm there. If they get better than this, well that would be the icing..........

Shakey

Hey Shakey,

Thanks for the X3 write up. I have been contemplating Klipschorns and then after surfing the Klipsch forums, been directed to look at the Klipsch Jubilee horn speakers. But, having read about Spatial audio, and now your review, I am leaning towards the X3s. How would you say the X3 compared to the Klipschorns in terms of dynamics? How big is your room? I have a 33 x 19 dedicated listening room with spray foamed joists, Roxul safe and sound, resilient channel, and Quiet rock 540 sheet rock on all walls and ceiling. Three walls are concrete and room is basement slab. I currently have B&W Nautilus 800s and am willing to try a more dynamic type of speaker...I think I have grown up from regular cone driven speaker and wish for more efficient designs. I have McIntosh MC2301 300 watt tube amps. How does the powered sub compare to the M3 in terms of subterranean bass notes?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2019, 11:48 am »
Well when I placed my X3 order, I was looking at Jubilees too and almost bought them. It came down to me not wanting to deal with an electronic xover and two amps. But you can get into a pair of them for about the same money as the Spatials. That was a tough call for me, but I'm happy I went this way. You have a perfect room for the Jubes so that's a tough decision for you too.

My klipschorns had the A55-G midrange driver and Volti Audio xovers. I also had dampened the mid horn with modeling clay. They sounded very good and I was pretty happy with them in my 15.5 x 26 ft. room. I had them on the short wall. I would give the edge to the khorns for dynamics, but only slightly. The X3 comes very close. The khorn also has a little better bass impact because of the true horn loaded bass and corner loading of the design. Where the X3 pulls ahead is in bass pitch and accuracy. Every note is defined and easy to follow. I like this. The X3 also is more holographic and refined, as you would probably expect compared to older khorns. The thing I really like about the Spatial X3s is that they are very engaging and pull you into the music. That's about the highest praise I can give them.

As for your question about the M3, I have never heard them, so no comment there. This is the first Spatial speaker I have experienced. You can hardly go wrong either way, Jubes or X3. I would ask Clayton what he thinks about  your room size. The X3s have no problem filling my space with ease.

Shakey

bbybaudio

« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:31 pm »
Hey Shakey,
Follow-up on how your X3s are still improving at 300+ hrs on them. I am experiencing the same with the X5s. I have around 230 hrs on them and the sound is improving in seemingly all aspects. In particular, the subwoofer and bass from the mid much better. For live performances it is close to being at the venue. Piano is startling in it's realism on these speakers using the Primaluma. Vocals are amazing. At this point, I am listening only in triode mode with the KT150s. Popped in EL34s, lost a little low and high end punch, but midrange fantastic.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:52 pm »
Yeah I reached a point a few weeks ago when I thought the speakers were fully broken in.

I was wrong........

audioquest4life

« Reply #56 on: 12 Dec 2019, 01:10 am »
Well when I placed my X3 order, I was looking at Jubilees too and almost bought them. It came down to me not wanting to deal with an electronic xover and two amps. But you can get into a pair of them for about the same money as the Spatials. That was a tough call for me, but I'm happy I went this way. You have a perfect room for the Jubes so that's a tough decision for you too.

My klipschorns had the A55-G midrange driver and Volti Audio xovers. I also had dampened the mid horn with modeling clay. They sounded very good and I was pretty happy with them in my 15.5 x 26 ft. room. I had them on the short wall. I would give the edge to the khorns for dynamics, but only slightly. The X3 comes very close. The khorn also has a little better bass impact because of the true horn loaded bass and corner loading of the design. Where the X3 pulls ahead is in bass pitch and accuracy. Every note is defined and easy to follow. I like this. The X3 also is more holographic and refined, as you would probably expect compared to older khorns. The thing I really like about the Spatial X3s is that they are very engaging and pull you into the music. That's about the highest praise I can give them.

As for your question about the M3, I have never heard them, so no comment there. This is the first Spatial speaker I have experienced. You can hardly go wrong either way, Jubes or X3. I would ask Clayton what he thinks about  your room size. The X3s have no problem filling my space with ease.

Shakey

Thank you. It appears that you and I have similar tastes in what we enjoy about speaker ownership. Yes, the Jubilee is very tempting, but after having spoken with Clayton last week for a good while, and gaining insight on how and why the X3 came to be, I think the X3 is on par musically speaking with the Jubilees but in a different way. Where you mention that every note is defined and easy to follow in the X3, I don’t think the Jubilee would be equal in that quality, but the Jubilee may be more dynamic giving the illusion of a robust bass section, not necessarily the pitch and definition of the X3. The Jubilee will probably play louder as it’s all horn driven, but due to the high efficiency of the X3 and M3, it should be more than loud enough, but I have artillery ears, so loud is a pretty relative term for me.

I was also ascertaining and conducting my own mission analysis of the complexity of the Jubilee with the requirements to add an active crossover and additional amps. For some, that’s not an issue, and really for me not so either, but if I jump into this new speaker paradigm, at least I want to take an easy step and not one gigantic one, if you know what I mean. The Spatial X3 exudes the KISS philosophy, while Jubilee is for the tinkerer. Based on what I heard listening to the M3 with 10 watts ultra liner and 40 watts EL34s, the conversation with Clayton, and your listening impressions, the X3 probably throws many listening paradigms of so called high end speakers for a spin.

How do you feel about how the X3s wide band AMT tweeter handles high frequencies compared to a normal tweeter? I noticed that the M3 tweeter is rated to 40khz but the X3 is rated to 20khz as listed on the Spatial Audio page. I was under the impression that AMTs go much higher than 20khz in upper frequency response. I will probably sit about 8-10 feet from speakers depending on how far from back wall I place them. Does the sound of brass and cymbals seem natural sounding to you. I spin mostly vinyl and limit streaming so my benchmark sound tastes are from records.

Noticed your vette in the signature. Is that a C5Z06? I had one when I was in Germany, and raced at Hockenheim. Also the same millennium yellow. The titanium exhaust was awesome.

Audioquest4life

Shakeydeal

« Reply #57 on: 12 Dec 2019, 11:39 am »
As far as the AMT driver goes, it is certainly more extended and refined than the K77s in the khorns. But for me, the important thing about tweeters is that they don't call attention to themselves. The AMT just goes about it's business and I don't even think about it. If I listen to a speaker and say "hey, how about that tweeter", then I think it's a design failure or poor choice of driver.

The sound of brass has the right amount of energy and "bite". It just sounds right to me. But the klipschorns on most of my music never sounded bright or edgy with brass either, when some folks say they do. Both speakers do a very good job in this respect. The X3 does a better job of floating the image (of a trumpet for example) in the room.

The car in the pic was mine and it is a 2004 Z06. I sold it about a year and a half ago. I took off the titanium exhaust and replaced it with Kooks long tube headers and Corsa Extreme mufflers. It sounded great. It was a fun car and I had it for about three years but it was time to move on.

Shakey

bbybaudio

« Reply #58 on: 12 Dec 2019, 06:51 pm »
The AMT on the X3s and X5s is stated to go to 22 kHz on the Spatial site. Like Shakey, I find that the X5s convey the best sense of live venue/in the room that I have heard. These effects are generally where the >20 kHz frequencies help out.

deadhead

« Reply #59 on: 12 Dec 2019, 08:54 pm »
You guys have to stop with all of this love for Clayton's products.  You just cost me $7500  :D