Diffusion panel help

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Diffusion panel help
« on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:00 am »

I know there are a ton of ways of doing this but I wanted to ask you guys for assistance. 

I currently use several ATS absorption panels but have been wanting to mix in diffusion panels.  My listening room (technically a 2nd bedroom) is pretty small at roughly 10’x12’.  Speakers are on the short wall and about 42” away from the front wall.  My listening position is 7’ from speakers.  The ATS panels helped a lot in taming the echo in the room.  The sound is really great but I’m hoping to improve image focus just a little more.

I have a few ideas:

1. One large panel for the the center of the front wall. (I have a 62” wide window there but ATS panels in front of it.)

2. Individual panels behind each speaker. Thinking 1.5’w x 3’h each

3. Diffusers between the ATS panels on the side walls

What do you guys think?

Big Red Machine

Re: Diffusion panel help
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:35 am »
I like diffusion and would vote for the side walls. I have not heard much benefit from panels right between the speakers but there are waves hitting the wall there. I would think they would be slow to reach your ears.

I like diffusors right over my seating area as well. But I prefer absorbers on the first reflections of the ceiling. With this small a room it may not benefit you the same. How high is the ceiling? How is the bass response?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:46 am »
My 2 cents......

Experiment, experiment, experiment.

No 2 rooms/systems are the same. There are also different theories (live end/dead end - which can be interchanged, balanced, etc) as to what will sound the best. Sometimes I move my panels around depending on the type of music I am listening to. (I change it to match the type of environment that I picture that music being played in - if that makes sense).

Don't be afraid to move things around. Lean them against the wall until you figure out what sounds/measures the best, then mount them.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2019, 12:26 pm »
My 2 cents......

Experiment, experiment, experiment.
Don't be afraid to move things around. Lean them against the wall until you figure out what sounds/measures the best, then mount them.
+1
I have great respect for BRM, but my room behaved very differently.  Diffusion at the center was much more effective than at first reflection points.  You will need to just try moving them around and see what works. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2019, 02:15 pm »
Here's a tidbit: when I began dismantling my room here I removed the diffusors and absorbers on the ceiling first and left all the absorbers on the walls. It was horribly screechy. It was kind of an aha moment where I heard firsthand how it could go very badly if the ceiling wasn't treated. I won't make that mistake again... :duh:

If you have products which can be hung on a nail then you can mix and match until it sounds right for the walls. The ceiling not so much.

If we all had the luck we'd have such large rooms as not to worry about reflections near as much as we have to. Then just the bass performance.... :icon_surprised:

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2019, 02:54 pm »
I have some experience in a room of similar dimensions using OB speakers, in fact the same thing you are using for bass.  I like diffusion between the OB speakers, it always bring greater solidity in imaging, that has been my experience.  I have never tried the diffusion on the ceiling but would definitely give it a shot to see what it does for you.  This was my setup in a 12.5’x10.5’x8’ room:

This was a setup I tried, it failed miserably, sucked all of the life out of the room, the front wall was full of 4” of rock wool.

This was the setup I enjoyed the most, great sound in a small room.  The red was/is a parabolic diffuser made of 1/8” plywood, this worked well, however I never tried any other type of diffusion in this space, I expect it would work well.

In the end you have to experiment.

Best,
Ed

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2019, 12:23 am »
 Ours are on the front wall above the bass traps.

mkane

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2019, 12:29 am »
^^^cockeyed photo isn't my problem sorry

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2019, 01:42 pm »
Is the diy Home Depot diffusers a valid option for behind OB speakers? 

mkane

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2019, 01:47 pm »
 Certain patterns diffuse different area's of the sound spectrum. Kind of scientific I suppose but if it's cheap enough have at it but I don't shop @ HD for political reasons.

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:36 pm »
Certain patterns diffuse different area's of the sound spectrum. Kind of scientific I suppose but if it's cheap enough have at it but I don't shop @ HD for political reasons.

http://www.libinst.com/diffusers/Depot_Diffuser.html

Yes I believe they are certainly cheap enough, just didn't know if this pattern is good for OB?? Do GR OB speakers require a specific pattern for better results?

Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:55 pm »
http://www.libinst.com/diffusers/Depot_Diffuser.html

Yes I believe they are certainly cheap enough, just didn't know if this pattern is good for OB?? Do GR OB speakers require a specific pattern for better results?

Thanks

I use the ABB1dcs/Mr. T diffusers from PI Audio Group between my OB speakers. At $180 plus shipping for four 2'x4' panels the price isn't bad.

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:13 pm »
I find it depends on the shape of the room & the location of the speakers.  I tend to use absorption when a speaker is close to a wall/boundary and diffusion when it's further away.  For example, if a speaker was 4 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall, I'd use absorption on the side wall and diffusion on the back wall.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2019, 01:21 am »
I use the ABB1dcs/Mr. T diffusers from PI Audio Group between my OB speakers. At $180 plus shipping for four 2'x4' panels the price isn't bad.

Mike

I’ve done a lot of searching and these look like the best deal for the money.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:39 pm »
When I was researching treatment for a small room, I found the consensus was, diffusion wasn't effective unless used a minimum 6 ft from listener. If used in the OP's room, I'd say behind the speakers would help.

I would also say, bass traps in the corners would be more beneficial than diffusion..

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:32 pm »

Mike
Mike, can you provide a link please?

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2019, 07:20 pm »
Here you go
http://piaudiogroup.com/Sound_Diffusors.html

Scroll down to the Mr T's
Use them here too  :)

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2019, 07:31 pm »
Here you go
http://piaudiogroup.com/Sound_Diffusors.html

Scroll down to the Mr T's
Use them here too  :)

jay

Thanks Jay,

I haven’t been able to get to my computer to post the link. No idea how to do it from ani iPhone 

Mike

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2019, 09:08 pm »
I'm getting a 404 at that link. Anybody else?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2019, 10:15 pm »
Not sure why the link isn’t working.

If you type piaudiogroup.com into the address bar the website comes up.

Click on “Products” then Sound Diffusers” then scroll down to the Mr. Ts

I just tried that and it worked