Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #340 on: 21 Jun 2012, 06:05 pm »
Thanks Paul. I believe it was Balkan beat box and track 4. After you had a chance to "repair" your speakers, IYHI, how well did, did not, the Ncore do at playing back that part of the track?

Occam

« Reply #341 on: 21 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm »
Hey Al,

Once the system was 'sorted out' the Ncore was the equal of my beloved Aksa LifeForce amp (but substantially quieter and more authoritative). It was specifically both amps inability to realistically reproduce the bells and tambourines [actually, the compromised imaging was the major indicator of the problem] that convinced my how badly I'd bollixed up my Marten speakers. Prior to my fixing the speakers, neither amp really could, IMO, properly reproduce that percussive tonality. Frankly, I don't think this task is particularly difficult for a competently implemented amp, but its actually quite hard for cabling and speakers.

Regards,
Paul

Geardaddy

« Reply #342 on: 22 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm »

On a purely personal level, I am not going to replace my Modwrights with the NCores, based on this wonderfully generous evaluation from Jason (and taking eval time away from generous Randy).  As I said, these mighty mites did almost everything I needed, but what they failed to bring to my ears was a deal-breaker of sorts, albeit small in perspective.   I am used to the possibly-artificial-but-nonetheless-important air and presence that my KWA-150’s impart.  A sort of dynamic that, given the right recording, makes a Marshall amp sound like it is in the room and electrifying the air.  The NCores make it sound like I am listening to that recording perfectly; the KWA’s make it sound like the recording is happening in my room. 

This is an important point Ted.  Vibratory energy or "presence" or "breath of life" is essential, and its reproduction separates good from great gear.  I have made this argument in the context of tube (particularly SET) vs SS amplification.  Some SS amps can do it.  Some big push pull tube amps can (TRL). 

The technical reasons for this are probably worth fleshing out. Is it really because the SPs are a hard load?

Another forgotten variable contributing to this phenomenon is the room.  A well engineered room can potentially provide the same experience.  I am learning this in real time.

richidoo

« Reply #343 on: 22 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm »
I've had Jason's other pair of N-Cores for a couple days. Not the tour pair you guys are listening to, but I assume they are the same construction. I listened with my Buffalo2 transformer coupled, volume controlled DAC direct to the amps, playing through two different speakers. I used Black Sands Silver V power cords on the amps in a dedicated 20A circuit.

Listening to them on a pair of newish (50 hours) Polk LSiM 707 4 way towers I found the amps to really bring the speakers to life compared to a diy 100W linear SS amp and a 100W AR tube amp. The low output impedance of the NCore is easily heard across the entire bandwidth. Of course bass is much clearer, punchier. The smaller amp allowed the ports to ring too much, the ports sounded separate from the direct sound and distracting sometimes with tendency to ring at their resonance. The NCore controls the bass drivers so well that no port antics are permitted. Bass is tuneful and controlled at all frequencies. The 60W amp thermal protected out while playing loud bass heavy song at the high levels these speakers can deliver. The NCores had no problem. Dance music makes a godalmighty powerful beat. Unbelievable from these little plastic drivers.

Midrange is also more detailed. Tonal texture is abundant. Solo cello, piano, voice, trumpet, are exquisitely detailed. The drivers are forced to comply with no mercy. Treble is clear, clean and very powerful, but no artifacts as I've heard in other class Ds. There is no trace of the high feedback stuffiness from opamps used in the Hypex UcD inputs. It reminded me of the Spectron in clarity, but without the quirks and I didn't sense the high frequency "thing" that I have heard Spectron do. I love how quiet these amps are, and small and light.

This is definitely not an amp to relax with a glass of cognac and a pipe while Perry Como sings in the background. They will force your speakers to reveal flaws in the system and rub your face in it. But I found it more enjoyable listening to the ultra confident NCores and the flaws they expose than using lesser amps that conceal flaws better but sound wimpier. They deserve very high quality source signal and speakers.

With these amps available now, I would consider owning lower sensitivity speakers like Revel Studio2, or even panels. They can force a lower sensitivity speaker to make the same kind of detail and control that lesser amps will require easier speakers to achieve. I look forward to hearing the NCores on higher sensitivity speakers too.
Thanks for the audition Jason!  See you tomorrow.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #344 on: 22 Jun 2012, 01:05 pm »
I've had Jason's other pair of N-Cores for a couple days. Not the tour pair you guys are listening to, but I assume they are the same construction.
Yes, they're identical with the same parts used.

richidoo

« Reply #345 on: 22 Jun 2012, 03:14 pm »
Now I'm playing them on souped up econowaves with AE woofer and Radian 475PM CD on QSC horn, 94dBSPL. Still no trace of harshness. Can even hear the grain of tape hiss.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #346 on: 22 Jun 2012, 03:16 pm »
Now I'm playing them on souped up econowaves with AE woofer and Radian 475PM CD on QSC horn, 94dBSPL. Still no trace of harshness. Can even hear the grain of tape hiss.

Have fun tomorrow at your GTG.

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #347 on: 22 Jun 2012, 03:22 pm »
i would love to see the results of ted doing a properly controlled blind a-b test of the ncore amps and the modwright amps in his system.   8)

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #348 on: 22 Jun 2012, 03:27 pm »
i would love to see the results of ted doing a properly controlled blind a-b test of the ncore amps and the modwright amps in his system.   8)

doug s.

I'll have my pair (not tour pair) of fully assembled amps middle of next week.  I am sure I could loan them to Ted at some point if he is interested.

George

Geardaddy

« Reply #349 on: 22 Jun 2012, 09:47 pm »

doug s.

Lol.  Need to press rewind on the tour.  The burning question is whether anyone could tell the difference between Ncore and previous generations of digital amplification in a blinded listening session....

roscoeiii

« Reply #350 on: 22 Jun 2012, 10:08 pm »
All indications would suggest yes. IIRC there are a number of comparisons made between ncore and the previous Hypex models on the diyaudio megathread.

cab

« Reply #351 on: 22 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm »
And there have been comparisons to Nuforce, Spectron, and Ice as well....Ncore seems to have bested them all to date....

richidoo

« Reply #352 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:13 am »
Have fun tomorrow at your GTG.
George

Thanks George!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #353 on: 23 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm »

doug s.
Me too!  I did just this with my huge Class A amps and failed 60% of the time.  It takes some Chutzpah though.  You need to take the money and bias completely out and deal with the facts. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #354 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:12 pm »
I'm all ears (blind of course).  :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #355 on: 23 Jun 2012, 01:23 pm »
I'm all ears (blind of course).  :)
:lol: 

Geardaddy

« Reply #356 on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:10 pm »
And there have been comparisons to Nuforce, Spectron, and Ice as well....Ncore seems to have bested them all to date....

In blinded listening tests?  Obviously not.  I am not implying that the Ncore is not better.  It sounds as if it SHOULD be.

Jason told me that, in blinded sessions, he and his wife could not distinguish between his Clayton monos and the Ncore.  That is valid.  I subject my wife (after being plied with wine of course) into blinded testing of almost all the gear I buy.  She, being female and a former musician, has better ears than I do and can provide a thumbs up or thumbs down within 30 seconds.  No audiophile straining and posturing needed.   :lol:

As we both live in Charlotte, Jason offered to bring the Ncores by my listening room for some blinded testing.  I am game.  I use the ASR Emitter I exclusive for amp/pre-amp duty.  The ASR soundstages like a mother without mechanical artifact and is tombstone quiet.  Should be interesting.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #357 on: 23 Jun 2012, 05:06 pm »
I have had two business trips and am typing this post while sitting in Cleveland Hopkins Airport waiting to go to Vegas with my wife.

George:

That is very generous of to loan Ted your NCores. However, I will have my NCores done by next Sunday. I live so close to Ted that I mentioned to him that he could have mine for a couple of weeks.

God knows he deserves them since I have been trying his Mytek for way too long! :lol:

Regards

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #358 on: 23 Jun 2012, 05:38 pm »
I have had two business trips and am typing this post while sitting in Cleveland Hopkins Airport waiting to go to Vegas with my wife.

George:

That is very generous of to loan Ted your NCores. However, I will have my NCores done by next Sunday. I live so close to Ted that I mentioned to him that he could have mine for a couple of weeks.

God knows he deserves them since I have been trying his Mytek for way too long! :lol:

Regards

Randy

Works for me Randy.

Enjoy Vegas.

George

arthurs

« Reply #359 on: 23 Jun 2012, 07:55 pm »
George, I could do a VAC Phi300.1 and. Lamm M1.1 comparison.....    8)