Followup Long-term Use Report

jzexport

Followup Long-term Use Report
« on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:27 pm »
Over the last 18 months I bought two Cherry Plus amps for the main and surround speakers of my stereo/HT system. Only financial circumstances have prevented me from adding a mono version for my center channel.

My impressions of the amps remain the same: clean, effortless power, from top to bottom, with all the bass control one could want and without any shrillness in the highs. I have very clean speakers, Merlin VSMs for the main and Merlin TSMs for surround. Some would say that SS amps aren't ideal for my Merlins, or at least my generation of them, but I find the Cherry/Merlin combination to bring out the best in both, if you want to hear the uncolored truth of the recording as I do.

A friend of mine has amps from another AC member company to drive Klipschorns, obviously a different flavor speaker than the Merlins. This friend believes in the law of diminishing returns in amp spending and was skeptical that the more expensive Cherries could be worth it. He brought his amps to my house and we played A/B on my Merlins. The Cherries won.

The Cherries replaced tube amps and I do not miss the fuss, power consumption or heat. In fact, until writing this, I didn't appreciate how much I didn't miss the fuss. It's wonderful to not have to deal with tubes. The Cherries have also been totally reliable and I wouldn't consider looking for replacements.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Followup Long-term Use Report
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:35 pm »
Glad to hear you are enjoying your amps. Tommy is a good guy and builds a very nice product. This is why we are bringing a set of Cherry Mono Ultra mono blocs to RMAF with us.

if you want to hear the uncolored truth of the recording as I do.

I am in the same camp as you. I want the truth without being sterile or overly warm.

Happy continued listening!
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm by Bill Baker »

mojave

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2011, 07:51 pm »
Glad to hear you are enjoying your amps. Tommy is a good guy and builds a very nice product. This is why we are bring a set of mono blocs to RMAF with us.
It's great that a Digital Amp Company product will be at RMAF! Will they be used with Von Schweikert speakers?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:01 pm »
The speakers are the new Von Schweikert VR-44 Aktive with the preamp being the Purity Ultra GT Silver (Silver Autoformer attenuators). The amps will likely be fed by the Purity Harmony mono bloc buffer design.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm by Bill Baker »

mojave

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:45 pm »
Josh, thanks for the review. Just yesterday I ordered another DAC Cherry and will have Cherry Monos for my mains and a Cherry Jr. for my surrounds.

Bill, I would love to hear that setup. I am curious how much difference the buffers will make with the Cherry amps. Unfortunately I can't attend RMAF this year since my wife is expecting.

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2011, 09:23 pm »
A friend of mine has amps from another AC member company

Don't want to name names. huh? :lol:  I understand...  :thumb:

The DAC amps really are that good though. I also replaced a tube amp for the same reasons as jz, and gave up very little in some small areas but gained so much more in others.

I was hoping that the passive VR44s would be used, to best demonstrate the awesome bass that the Cherries are capable of (not that that's all they do, but that (and the otherworldly image specificity) are what tends to practically assault the new listener, such is the superiority over other amps I've heard).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:30 pm »
Thanks, guys, for the compliments!  We're thinking of a way to provide an upgrade path to the new Cherry MONOs, like a trade-in program.  The amps Bill mentioned are Cherry MONO ULTRAs with 1800W transformers per channel (!).  They also have double the rail capacitance!!!  If you like the Cherry 2-channel, you'll be blown away by these new ULTRAs.  Happy listening and thanks again.  :.)

-Tommy O   

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:39 pm »
Thanks, guys, for the compliments!  We're thinking of a way to provide an upgrade path to the new Cherry MONOs, like a trade-in program.  The amps Bill mentioned are Cherry MONO ULTRAs with 1800W transformers per channel (!).  They also have double the rail capacitance!!!  If you like the Cherry 2-channel, you'll be blown away by these new ULTRAs.  Happy listening and thanks again.  :.)

We're very excited about this system and for everyone who has been inquiring about the Purity preamps mated with Tommy's amplifiers, here is your chance to hear the combination.

Maybe Tommy should start a new RMAF thread so we can talk about the system and special show offers and not hijack this thread any further (hint-hint Tommy)

jzexport

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm »
Lucky mojave to have that setup. Enjoy.

mfsoa, you're right I didn't want to name names, but I'll narrow the field by saying the other amps were solid state and much lower priced :).

Tommy, the Ultras sound awesome, no pun intended. I can't imagine all that power reserve. How does that design help S/N for low or normal power draws? And, good luck at RMAF.

watercourse

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:57 am »
I'm excited to hear that two great, local designers/manufacturers are teaming up together!
Bill, best wishes again for a quick rebound from the floods.
Tommy, we miss reading your thoughts, discoveries, and technical input. Check in more often!
As for me, my wife said to me tonight "turn on the Peach and Cherry" - and I'm loving it!
Wilson