Welcome to the Hypex Owners Circle!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Welcome to the Hypex Owners Circle!
« on: 5 May 2012, 12:11 pm »
Welcome to the new Owners Circle of AC.  The Hypex Owners Circle!

This is a place where we can talk about all Hypex products.

Please make sure to follow the AudioCircle guidelines: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42856.0

Hypex Website: http://www.hypex.nl/

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Welcome to the Hypex Owners Circle!
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2012, 12:30 pm »
I hadn't paid any attention at all to Hypex until a few weeks ago. Now my interest is piqued.
Congrats on the circle and good luck with it.

Chris Adams

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2012, 12:34 pm »
Glad to see this circle. I think Hypex Owners Circle was the right call. And while I'm not an owner yet, it's just a matter of time. :D

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2012, 01:34 pm »
Jason...Thanks for being the facilitator of this new circle.   :D.  One thing that could be be beneficial for future owners of these amps, could be a sticky on different sources for chassis'/enclosures.

Regards,

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2012, 02:28 pm »
Jason,
CONGRATS on the new Circle.  I am looking forward to hearing the NCores, and maybe demoing them in biamp mode someday.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2012, 02:56 pm »
Jason, congrats on the circle.  Hope to hear some OEM info in the future.
Mark

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2012, 03:14 pm »
  Cool, have fun guys. If the designer would chime in that would be a great addition to the circle.
   Not an owner of any Hypex products. Ya never know.

charles

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2012, 05:17 pm »
Cool. So I gather this circle is an owners thread for Hypex products and not to discuss other switching amp typologies? Thanks.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2012, 06:48 pm »
Well, there are four of us listening to a couple of Hypex Ncore amps right now, on loan from some guy, can't quite remember who.  All NJ guys so it's almost Greetings fro Asbury Park time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2012, 06:51 pm »
from some guy, can't quite remember who

:lol: Let's all give a big round of applause to jtwrace for his generosity and for taking on the Facilitator duties for this exciting new circle.

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2012, 06:52 pm »
Well, there are four of us listening to a couple of Hypex Ncore amps right now, on loan from some guy, can't quite remember who.  All NJ guys so it's almost Greetings fro Asbury Park time.
Sounds like a great time  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2012, 07:14 pm »
Sounds like a great time  :thumb:

Yes, enjoy fellas! Jtwrace is a gem for lending those amps out indeed. Thanks for moderating too!

Anand.

Phil

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2012, 07:56 pm »
Thanks for getting this going, Jason.  I'm looking forward to contributing soon as an owner with an amp in hand vs. parts on order.   :thumb:

Perhaps some of the owners who hang at diyaudio will join in.

Phil

Chris Adams

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2012, 10:24 pm »
If anyone is interested, I just found a Munich show report with Mola Mola pricing. The pair of mono block NC1200s is $13,000 and the pre is $8,500. :o That's with today's Euro conversion.

Guess I'll be diy with the NC400s, not that I'm unhappy.  :wink:

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2012, 11:34 pm »
I guess Mola Mola is out of my price range. I figured they would be half of that price. Theta looks to be much more reasonable now since they have the killer looks to add to it.

Thanks Jason for what looks to be a very interesting circle.

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2012, 11:44 pm »
I wonder how long it will be before the NC400 & SMPS600 go up in price or do you think the prices will stay the same for a while.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2012, 12:08 am »
I wonder how long it will be before the NC400 & SMPS600 go up in price or do you think the prices will stay the same for a while.

Honestly, I don't imagine them going up because they are targeting 2 different groups. They are catering to diyer's (who are great at spreading the word), and then there are those who wouldn't dream of touching a soldering iron and have a very large disposable income.

If you look at how the prices of the UCD stuff has stayed relatively the stable over time, it makes more sense. They have been selling to the DIY market for years.

It still makes one feel a little uneasy as you want to get the most for your investment, and not lose out.  :?

I would imagine that they may change their diy price structure if they get a lot of negative feedback from OEM's.  One example is if diy'ers start selling their NC400's to those buyers who would get a Mola type amp. Again, I don't imagine that happening. We tend to be a reclusive bunch, and build for our own selfish customary motives. We are inclusive to those who are ready to shovel some poop so to speak.

With all that being said, the diy aspect of the NC400 is very, very little. All the work has been done. Just need to drill out a chassis, throw some connectors, dribble some solder and away we go.

FWIW, YMMV, etc...

Best,
Anand.

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2012, 02:14 am »
If anyone is interested, I just found a Munich show report with Mola Mola pricing. The pair of mono block NC1200s is $13,000 and the pre is $8,500. :o That's with today's Euro conversion.

Guess I'll be diy with the NC400s, not that I'm unhappy.  :wink:

Hi Chris

The Mola-Mola prices you've quoted in $ aren't quite correct because you converted the euro price including the Dutch 19% VAT so for example the power amps are 5000 euros each including 19% VAT and if exported to the US they would be 4200 euros or approx $5500 each. Although, don't quote me 'verbatim' because when I spoke to Jan-Peter on Thursday in Munich, he hadn't decided on an official US price just yet.

We, however, have been given the green light to release mono power amps using NC1200 modules and we are full steam ahead with plans to do so and will make announcements on our web site in due course. We anticipate sub $10K per pair to the US.

Cheers

John Young

wilsynet

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2012, 02:56 am »
It's too bad there are no manufacturers building amplifiers with the NC400 rather than the NC1200.  I think there's a market for the lower end who would prefer a finished unit rather than picking up the soldering gun and drilling holes, regardless of how easy it might be.  For example, while I certainly *could* put together a PC myself using readily available parts (motherboard, hard drive, case, CPU, memory modules, etc), I'd rather buy from Dell, HP, etc.

When I last exchanged email with Dusty at Channel Islands a few weeks ago, he said he had no current plans to adopt the NCore line and he was sticking with UCD for the foreseeable future.  Of course, he may have just been playing coy.

Perhaps the NC1200 OEM pricing is only slightly more than the NC400 direct to consumer pricing.  That would certainly explain things, although wow, that would be quite the gross margin we're seeing on NC1200 based amplifiers.

Once the NC400 modules are no longer back ordered, I'd expect someone surely will start buying NC400 modules and sell finished amplifiers, perhaps building them as a side business in their spare time.

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2012, 03:28 am »
It's too bad there are no manufacturers building amplifiers with the NC400 rather than the NC1200.  I think there's a market for the lower end who would prefer a finished unit rather than picking up the soldering gun and drilling holes, regardless of how easy it might be.  For example, while I certainly *could* put together a PC myself using readily available parts (motherboard, hard drive, case, CPU, memory modules, etc), I'd rather buy from Dell, HP, etc.

When I last exchanged email with Dusty at Channel Islands a few weeks ago, he said he had no current plans to adopt the NCore line and he was sticking with UCD for the foreseeable future.  Of course, he may have just been playing coy.

Perhaps the NC1200 OEM pricing is only slightly more than the NC400 direct to consumer pricing.  That would certainly explain things, although wow, that would be quite the gross margin we're seeing on NC1200 based amplifiers.

Once the NC400 modules are no longer back ordered, I'd expect someone surely will start buying NC400 modules and sell finished amplifiers, perhaps building them as a side business in their spare time.

From Jan-Peter's mouth last Thursday in Munich.... he is adamant that NC400 is for DIY customers only and he will not allow them to be built commercially. I think they (Hypex) would be smart enough to spot multiple buying patterns........ 25.5 surround system?....Hmmmmm :nono: