Movies in Your Collection?

Mag

Movies in Your Collection?
« on: 25 Sep 2023, 05:16 am »
  What movies do you have in your Collection that you're not likely to find Streaming.
I know some of you have large collections, I have about a hundred or so. What annoys me is Streaming services that have a movie I want to watch but they charge extra on top of your monthly fee. I'm thinking of switching services but not ready to pull the trigger just yet.

Some essential movies off the top of my head in my Collection:
Cross of Iron
Hard Times
Shooter
Several James Bond
Cassandra Crossing
The Godfather
Love Story
Saving Private Ryan
Die Hard Series
Hang Em High/Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More/Good the Bad the Ugly
Under Siege/Under Siege 2

Digi-G

Re: Movies in Your Collection?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2023, 01:56 pm »
I've got quite a few - maybe 200 or so.  Seems like a lot to me, but may not be to others.  I agree about the additional charge for a movie, especially if it's 50+ years old.  I've seen this a lot with John Wayne westerns and old Hitchcock movies.  Especially aggravating when I know I can buy it, and own it, for less money.

Most Hitchcock movies (favorites are North By Northwest, Psycho, Birds... i.e. the classic period)
Most of the Dirty Harry movies.  Amazing how good DH1 looks on blu-ray.
Many Clint Eastwood westerns.  Favorite is Josey Wales and Good, Bad & The Ugly.
12 Angry Men
Bone Collector
Star Trek (the newest movies)
The Score
Seven
Jeramiah Johnson
The Green Mile
The Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Brosnan)
All The Presidents Men
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Legend of 1900
The Core
Enemy of the State
Shrek

Really, my collection is all over the place.  Probably short on comedies.

Sorry, I read thru the original post really fast and missed the "unlikey to find on streaming".  But half of my list probably applies.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2023, 03:41 pm »
I keep a few ripped Blu-ray movies around for demos because the uncompressed audio tracks just sound better than streaming. If I want to watch something old then usually I can find it.

Dune (27 GB)
Blade Runner 2049 (41 GB)
Prometheus (18 GB)
Ghost in the Shell (1995) - the original used to be hard to find

But these days with new movie releases happening daily I would rather watch Meg2: The Trench than something I have seen more than twice.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2023, 04:33 pm »
I'm a big fan of box sets from Criterion.  These are the ones I have so far.

Bergman box set:

Fellini box set:

Agnes Varda box set:

Linklater's Before Trilogy:

The Dekalog by Kieslowski:

Infernal Affairs trilogy:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2023, 04:51 pm »
 a few ...
the Boston Blackie series, Charlie Chan series, Mr. Moto series, Sherlock Holmes series w/Basil Rathbone, Thin Man series w/William Powell
the original 30's Hitchcock's set, The 39 Steps/The Lady Vanishes etc
Wages of Fear, the original 50's release of what was redone in the '70s as Sorcerer (sound track by Tangerine Dream)
The Last Run/The Hospital  both George C. Scott classics
30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Run Silent Run Deep, Torpedo Alley
numerous Euro crime movie series you might catch occasionally on PBS, or see if you stream the mHz network - Detective Montalbano, Murders @ Barlume, Fog & Crimes, Nero Wolfe, Dom Matteo, Commissario Brunetti (Italian), Beck (Swedish), Agatha Christie's Criminal Games, Maigret (French), Professor T (Belgian) - all subtitled

The only streaming I do is the free Master's coverage, so don't know what all is available on the various services. Undoubtedly some of the above can be found somewhere online if one digs deep enough, but I prefer to just grab the disk & stick it in the Oppo.