Oppenheimer (2023) in 70mm film

CurtisIIX

Re: Oppenheimer (2023) in 70mm film
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2023, 02:25 am »
The Loft Cinema has quite a few 70mm movie showings every year so they are more experienced than other theaters. The Loft is also an independent theater, many patrons are either members and/or doners, they work hard to keep their loyal audience happy and keep the volume at a humane level.

As an Arizona alumnus, I have many good memories heading out to the The Loft Cinema with friends - I enjoyed those years in Tucson. It's quite a treat to have a cinema like that.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm »
I've been to the IMAX theater at the Smithsonian in DC (probably about a dozen or so years back).  I have a friend who used to work there (he works for the National Science Foundation now) and I got a private tour of the projection room.  The process and equipment is quite impressive.  There's an IMAX theater about 20 minutes from me.  I've not ventured there.  I might at some point (been saying that for a bunch of years).  I guess I'm just comfortable with my current main set-up (which just got back together a couple of months back).  I have secondary home theaters which are good (I have a 92 inch screen for my master bedroom projector which folds into the ceiling with the push of a button and a 65 inch UHD TV in another where I only sit about 7 feet away) and I'm just enamored with the new set-up and going through a bunch of movies I haven't watched in a bit.

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2023, 07:10 pm »
Just found The Day After Trinity, going to watch before August just in case it gets pulled

‘Oppenheimer’ Fans Are Rediscovering a 40-Year-Old Documentary

“The Day After Trinity,” made available without a subscription until August, shot to the top of the Criterion Channel’s most-watched films.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-day-after-trinity/videos/the-day-after-trinity

One morning in the 1950s, Jon H. Else’s father pointed toward Nevada from their home in Sacramento. “There was this orange glow that suddenly rose up in the sky, and then shrank back down,” Else recalled.

It was, hundreds of miles away, an atomic weapon test: a symbol of the world that was created when a team of Americans led by the physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer exploded the first nuclear bomb a decade earlier on July 16, 1945.

Growing up in the nuclear age left an impression on Else, now 78.

He was later a series producer of the award-winning “Eyes on the Prize,” a program on the civil rights movement, and directed documentaries about the Great Depression and Wagner’s “Ring” cycle. But before all that, in 1981, he made a documentary about Oppenheimer, the scientist whose bony visage graced the covers of midcentury magazines, and the bomb. It was called “The Day After Trinity,” a reference to that inaugural detonation.

Decades later, viewers are flocking to Else’s film, a nominee for the Academy Award for best documentary feature, as a companion to Christopher Nolan’s biopic “Oppenheimer,” which grossed more than $100 million domestically in its opening week this month.

“We have seen a huge increase in views,” Criterion said in a statement, “and we’re very happy with the success of the strategy as a way to make sure this film found its rightful place in the conversation around ‘Oppenheimer.’”

In a phone interview from California last week, Else, a professor emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley, praised Nolan’s film, which he saw last weekend in San Francisco. (A spokeswoman for Nolan said he was not available to comment.)

“These stories have to be retold every generation,” Else said, “and they have to be told by new storytellers.”

The Oppenheimer of “Oppenheimer” (based on Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin’s Pulitzer Prize-winning biography “American Prometheus”), and the Oppenheimer of “The Day After Trinity” are the same brilliant, sensitive, haunted soul. “This man who was apparently a completely nonviolent fellow was the architect of the most savage weapon in history,” Else said.

The movies feature some of the same characters from the life of Oppenheimer, who died in 1967, including his brother, Frank (played in “Oppenheimer” by Dylan Arnold), his friend Haakon Chevalier (Jefferson Hall) and the physicist Isidor Isaac Rabi (David Krumholtz). Both films build to Trinity and then document the conflict between some of its inventors’ hope that the bomb would never be used in war and its deployment in Japan, the invention of the more devastating hydrogen bomb and the nuclear arms race of the Cold War.

A central plot point in each movie is a closed hearing in 1954 at which Oppenheimer was stripped of his government security clearance, partly because of past left-wing associations. David Webb Peoples, a co-editor and co-writer of “The Day After Trinity” — whose later screenwriting credits include “Blade Runner,” “Unforgiven” and “12 Monkeys” — even proposed structuring the film around the hearing, as Nolan did with “Oppenheimer.”

“The closest he ever came to an autobiography is his personal statement at the beginning of the hearing,” said Else, who focused on interviews with firsthand witnesses, old footage and still photographs rather than trying to recreate the hearing.

“It’s also a courtroom drama,” Else added, “and who is not going to pay attention to a courtroom drama?”

One place “The Day After Trinity” goes that “Oppenheimer” does not is Hiroshima. In the documentary, Manhattan Project physicists recount wandering the wrecked Japanese city. The narrator explains that the Allies had not bombed it beforehand to preserve a place to demonstrate the new weapon.

Else returned to the topic in his 2007 documentary, “Wonders Are Many: The Making of ‘Doctor Atomic,’” which chronicles the composer John Adams’s opera about Oppenheimer. Else is currently working on a book about nuclear testing. And in 1982, he made a one-hour episode of the public-television series “Nova” about the Exploratorium, the San Francisco science museum that was founded in 1969 by none other than Frank Oppenheimer.

“Making ‘The Day After Trinity’ was a pretty rugged ride — it’s pretty rugged subject matter,” Else said. “After I finished it, it was such a joy to spend a year with Robert Oppenheimer’s younger brother, Frank, and celebrate the joy of science.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/27/movies/day-after-trinity-oppenheimer-documentary.html

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2023, 01:39 pm »
Several days ago my wife and I visited Hiroshima as a day trip from Osaka.  We’re now in Kyoto.  Just thought I’d share a few photos.

The items, images, photos and stories in the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum were heart wrenching.  We spent several hours in there.
This photo greets you:

However the rest of the day was more uplifting.  We went to the Okonomimura building for lunch. I didn’t realize that this was my wife’s first experience with okonomiyaki.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2023, 02:32 am »
My apologies (for taking so long to respond) as I only just discovered your posted photos today.

The bottom two photos look very much like something that is quite popular in Taiwan. The rough English translation is 'oyster pancake' though it barely resembles the pancakes we eat in the States.

Michael

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2023, 03:29 am »
No worries Michael.  I have tried oyster pancakes before which is also very good.  Fermented tofu is another story.

Back to topic, I’m waiting for my 4K version of this movie.

Oh, and I hope that you’re enjoying your all tube system Michael. 

Ken