Super 3i Vs. Super 3XRS

Sandals123

Super 3i Vs. Super 3XRS
« on: 29 Jun 2020, 04:11 am »
Hello all, I am sure that this topic has been covered but can anyone discuss the difference between the 3i and the 3XRS in terms of sonic performance? There is a nice pair of 3XRS for sale near me and I have never heard them before.

Thanks
Alan

seikosha

Re: Super 3i Vs. Super 3XRS
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm »
I used to have both, but sold the XRS.  They are very similar in performance but the XRS has a fuller sound.  It's a bit warmer in the lower midrange and has little more bass extension.  I've found that if you place the 3i's close to the floor (I mount them on the Iso Acoustic angled stands around 9 inches high) you can fill in some of that midrange and bass that the XRS provides.  They actually perform really well in this arrangement.  That said, I wish I'd kept my 3xrs's.

effluviography

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2020, 08:48 pm »
I have both and I agree with seikosha's assessment. I prefer the XRS specifically for the lower mids and the extra, organic sounding bass. I don't use a sub with them as I like the sound of the bass from the XRS more than a sub. 3is sound good though - they just need a sub. If you have room for the larger floor standers, I would go with them.

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2020, 10:26 pm »
I will agree with Seikosha.  I’ve own Super 3 (same wide baffle as XRS) and used to own a pair of Super 3U (medium wide baffle, offset driver, same volume as XRS).  The larger cabinet gets you a little bass.  The wider baffle gives you a fuller, warmer lower midrange and upper bass.  They work really well with boundary reinforcement.

Why not both?  The Super 3 HO cabinet has the same volume as the Super 3 XRS.  It can be ordered with the wide baffle.  If you order this with a single driver you will have the best of both worlds.  Remember that the lower portion of the Super 3XRS is not part of the enclosure volume - it functions as a stand.

Sandals123

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2020, 11:55 pm »
I didn't know about the volume of the XRS cabinet, that is very useful information. Perhaps a wide baffle HO style with just one driver might be a good fit.

How about playing at low volume, that will be a consideration for me too.

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2020, 01:39 am »
Frankly, the driver is only going to give so much bass.  A simple choice would be to select the Super 3, with the driver on the wide side.  That is very close to my original Super 3.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2020, 04:58 am »
The 3XRS sure look cool, sound great, and you don't have to buy stands. A subwoofer is pretty much a requirement either way. Maybe a desktop setup wouldn't need a sub.