I am FINALLY beginning to listen to classical music..

Stercom

Re: I am FINALLY beginning to listen to classical music..
« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2024, 06:04 pm »
Thanks guys. I am receiving notifications now! Anyway, I really don't believe that my system is loosing or adding anything much. I usually try to qualify things audio, if I had X, I might find that I was mistaken. Anyway, I have a good enough system that I am not listening to my system. I  feel pretty fortunate about that. Anyway, I will look into more chamber music, the intimacy is pretty awesome! I grew up with vinyl, it seems the better the pickup, stylus shape, and good coils, the more record noise you hear as pressings are necessarily flawed. I spent thousands on that. There is so much in that chain that can ruin it, but once you get it right, IME, you get even more surface noise than a conical or slightly elliptical stylus. I see it as one hell of a rabbit hole, but I thought the same about stereo generally until I finally got it right. ANYWAY, audio is personal, what I think/like is completely irrelevant when it comes to YOU! Just enjoy what you enjoy. Warm, bright, detailed, are personal preferences. I have an acquaintance who has high frequency hearing loss. His desired sound sends me out of the room with my fingers in my ears... It works for him, and he loves what he loves. Best to all..
Well said. Enjoy!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2024, 10:29 pm »
The AN15 Alinco drivers didn't go above 15k Hz, so they just didn't image well, and were slightly lacking in lower frequencies.
The AN15Alnico Classic or Super have enough bass in a big 360Liters BR box or greater, but it have to be stuffed properly to increase the bass, with the right materials as 20mm stone wool or 15mm (minimum) car hood brown blanket.

Stay away from foam or the famous white PolyEthylene 50mm blanket sold at DIY sites as Madisound or PartsExp these materials dont increase the bass. The bass is boosted or reduced by the internal filling of the box, inclusive internal painting of the box.
All these materials are very cheap.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2024, 12:53 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2024, 11:03 pm »
  So much great music to listen to. Classical full orchestral music demands a full range system with scale. Look for Fiesta.
About the violins and the usual mediocre sound performance from hi-fi speakers at Classical music:
A violin is a rich instrument in hamonics, its highly resonant instrument in hamonics in the treble region. A regular size symphonic orchestra (100 musicians) usually have 62 to 64 musicians at the strings section.

The group usually has>
First Violins: 12 to 16
Second Violins: 10 to 14
Violas:  8 to 12 violas
Cellos:  8 to 12  and
Basses:  6 to 8 complete the group.

A Great Orchestra as the Russian Orchestras have double violins sections, usually a typical RSO can reach 120 musicians or more. All these strings can not be properly reproduced by a small midrange or tweeter driver cone or dome, mainly after the frequency tapering done by the crossover.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2024, 02:05 am by FullRangeMan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 1 Sep 2024, 12:58 am »
About the violins and the usual mediocre sound performance from hi-fi speakers at Classical music:
A violin is a rich instrument in hamonics, its highly resonant instrument in hamonics in the treble region. A regular size symphonic orchestra (100 musicians) usually have 62 to 64 musicians at the strings section.

The group usually has>
First Violins: 12 to 16
Second Violins: 10 to 14
Violas:  8 to 12 violas
Cellos:  8 to 12  and
Basses:  6 to 8 complete the group.

A Great Orchestra as the Russian Orchestras have double violins sections, usually a typical RSO can reach 120 musicians or more. All these strings can not be properly reproduced by a small midrange driver cone or dome, mainly after the frequency tapering done by the crossover.

This is one of the reasons I am moving to 8 foot tall planar magnetic line arrays.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 1 Sep 2024, 05:48 am »
This is one of the reasons I am moving to 8 foot tall planar magnetic line arrays.
Good luck in your journey, looks a exciting project. ))
I have everything to be an audiophile except your money LOL
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2024, 08:23 am by FullRangeMan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 1 Sep 2024, 04:11 pm »
It helps that I'm building them myself, and also that I am able to re-use about 70% of the drivers from my current speakers.  But even with that, you are right.  Not cheap.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 1 Sep 2024, 11:34 pm »
The Carver Amazing used only 1 full range ribbon from 180/200Hz to 40kHz.
Ribbon 48'' or 60'' tall, top notch image even to current startards.