2.1 to be morphed into 5.1 later

EDS_

« on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:48 pm »
What is wrong with this idea for a second 80% music/20%HT set up. The all music system stays where it is.

1.  The room is 15'10" by 14'8" and 10' high with carpet and sheetrock and slab floor.
2. One of the 15'10" walls is 90% open (or not there as it were) to a very large hallway and another open room across that hallway.

I think I want too install:
1. A big TV maybe a Samsung DLP 60 in. (I think 60' is the biggest size).
2. Dish Network
3. Denon 5900 univ. player. ($1,500)
4. Pathos Classic One. (cerca-$2,100)
5. Triangle Celius ($2K) or maybe the Naia ($3,300 I think).
6. When I decide to add center and rears (I might do this day one as well. I could simply add a Jolida 3 channel integrated and a Triangle center and maybe Titus rears.

Additionally, I might close off the open wall I mentioned and add French doors to allow some openness.

Any suggestions?

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2003, 03:20 pm »
Um... why don't you just build an HT/MC system if you already have an all-music 2-channel system?

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2003, 03:34 pm »
Hi JohnR:
I think my idea would foster more listening by my wife and kids.

Can you steer me to-wards a HT-rig for about the same money I mentioned?

I'm really hooked on hybrid amps. But might forgo them if other options made sense.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2003, 10:18 am »
Well, you didn't mention a $ figure but judging by the size of the screen it's not a small amount ;-)

But seriously, I wouldn't have a specific recommendation, but I do think that it's nice to have separate systems for music and HT :thumb: I mean, the HT system will still play 2ch, and while it won't be as optimal as a system optimized for 2ch it will still be pretty darn good and besides, you can't optimize it for 2ch with that big screen in there anyways.

Sooo...... I hate to tell people how to spend their money, but what would it look like if you refactored the same total $ and added a beefy subwoofer, switched to a 5ch amp, and got a set of 5 speakers? Maybe a slightly smaller screen. If you're into hybrid amps than maybe satfrat will chime in, I believe he has that Butler 5ch amp.