Need suggestions for component cables

Double Ugly

« on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:40 am »
I have a Samsung HLN567W DLP on back-order, but I want to get the "necessities" out of the way before it arrives.  

I've already talked to Nathan @ Eighth Nerve about a Stereovox cable, but we're talking about over $400 for the length I need (2m minimum).  I'd like to find something around $50, and really want to stay under $100 unless there's an awfully compelling reason to go beyond.  

Thanks in advance.

DU

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:47 am »
DU,

I got a 3M Zu megular on ebay for $71 shipped, new from Adam at Zu.  It replaced an older version Bettercables cable.  Very very good cable, better price!  Do a search for Zu Cable at ebay or videogon.com

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:53 am »
I was in a similar boat for my HT rig; I needed component cables at least 20' long- check the prices on those! :o   I ordered some 25 footers from http://www.pacificcable.com for about $30, and I must say they're pretty good.  I don't notice any degradation over the shorter Monster cables they replaced.  Maybe there's stuff out there that's noticeably better, but I wasn't gonna spend $300 to find out.

At the prices they ask, I'd suggest you give 'em a try.  The service is good and the cables work great.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2003, 04:56 am »
Well, I was just about to suggest a Zu Component as that's what'd fit your requirements best from my experiences. But byteme beat me to it! :evil:

What I have found to be better than a Zu, is a Bolder Cables w/Silver Eichmann Bullet plugs & cryo treatment. But a 2M+ cable like that would be a little past your $100 budget. Though not quite up to the $400 an HDXV would run you.

Too bad I'm not in the position to get rid of my 2M Zu yet. My new DVDP has BNC outs, so I'm having to run adapters on the Zu until I can afford to have a Bolder built to my needs.

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:02 am »
Quote from: byteme
DU,

I got a 3M Zu megular on ebay for $71 shipped, new from Adam at Zu.  It replaced an older version Bettercables cable.  Very very good cable, better price!  Do a search for Zu Cable at ebay or videogon.com

It's kind of weird that you mention Bettercables.  After reading the reviews on Audioreview.com, I'd made up my mind to give 'em a try unless somebody gave me a good reason not to.  The fact that you replaced 'em and are happier with the new cables would seem to be a good reason.  I'll do the search and see what comes up.

When you say they're better, are you talking about blacker blacks, more true-to-life colors, better contrast, less bleeding, some of the above, all of the above...?  

Thanks.

DU

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:10 am »
I 'spose I shoulda mentioned what I replaced with the Zu's.  :oops:

I was previously using Monster M1000HDSV component cable. It's a pretty damn good cable, but the Zu had more vibrant colors & deeper blacks. The M1000 is also kinda spendy at $200/2M.

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:40 am »
byteme-
No luck on Videogon; only shorter cables on eBay.  I took a look at 'em on their website, though.  Nice, very nice, but I'm confused about the price.

On this page, a 3m cable is $240, but here it's $139.  How can this be since the URL indicates they're pages from within the same site, zucable.com?  What am I missing?

FYI, the links were the first two appearing on my Google search.

Rob-
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll check 'em out.  

bubba-
Yeah, I'd LOVE to have a cable from Bolder, but the prices are beyond my reach.  I guess what it amounts to is that I want Bolder's performance in a $100 package.  I'm not gonna hold my breath, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the responses.  Much appreciated.

DU

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2003, 05:56 am »
DU,

That's odd about the pricing on the Zu site. I can't tell you which is correct as I got both of my 2M runs off eBay auctions.

If Zu doesn't have a length long enough on eBay right now, wait. They run auctions all of the time, and the length is always different. I've seen them anywhere from 1M to 3.5M. In fact I don't need 2M cables, but I couldn't get a 1M cable for what I was looking to spend, & got lucky on 2M cables.

If a $100 is your cap, best bet that I'm aware of would be a Zu off eBay. It might take you some time, but you'll find one there.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2003, 06:14 am »
Quote from: bubba966
DU,

That's odd about the pricing on the Zu site. I can't tell you which is correct as I got both of my 2M runs off eBay auctions.

If Zu doesn't have a length long enough on eBay right now, wait. They run auctions all of the time, and the length is always different. I've seen them anywhere from 1M to 3.5M. In fact I don't need 2M cables, but I couldn't get a 1M cable for what I was looking to spend, & got lucky on 2M cables.

If a $100 is your cap, best bet that I'm aware of would be a Zu off eBay. It might take you some time, but you'll find one there.

I half-expected you (or whomever) to make me feel like an idiot for missing something obvious on the pricing.  The way my luck's going, I figure they've raised the prices and haven't removed the old page yet.

I'll probably take your advice and see what shows up on eBay.  If I find something comparable or better in the interim, so much the better.

Thanks again for the info.  I'll keep an eye out for the 2m-3m cable.

DU

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2003, 09:13 pm »
I believe at www.dhlabs.com or www.silversonics.com you can get cable and connectors seperatly and make your own cable. I know its alot cheaper then having them premake the cable.

I hate to say this but you might want to check out radioschack cable and see how the performance is. The picture of your dlp was pretty outstanding when I was at Circut City the other day.

I don't think they use Bolder or Zu at Circut City!!!!!

Larry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2003, 09:17 pm »
Okay, guys, Fed Ex just delivered my latest order from Pacific Cables today.  I bought a 100' Cat 6 Cable for $30 shipped! :o   Try getting that deal at Best Buy. :wink:   I've got other cables from them and they were all good cables.

If you want Zu cables, I can't fault that (I'm using a Zu Firemine coax digital in my rig), but I'm tellin' you, their component cables are dirt cheap and they work very well.

Mark Rich

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2003, 10:09 pm »
How about the Rhino premium cables? Uses the same recipe as the JR digital which I'm very impressed with. Think AVS forum had a comparison of these cables against some of the popular brands.

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2003, 11:08 pm »
Well, the search is over folks.  I appreciate all the suggestions and input, but I just purchased a 10' component cable from VeraStarr.

Unfortunately I exceeded the budget a little (big surprise), but after talking/wrestling with Mike for a while I struck a pretty good deal for what I hope is an excellent cable.  I'll send it back if I'm not happy, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

Thanks again.

DU

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2003, 11:45 pm »
:o

I hope that was a hell of a good deal you got. I'm seeing a $799 price for a 3M component cable on that site!

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2003, 12:26 am »
Quote from: bubba966
:o

I hope that was a hell of a good deal you got. I'm seeing a $799 price for a 3M component cable on that site!

It was.   :D

DU

lcrim

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2003, 05:11 pm »
Since you have made your choice and spent your money, I just wanted to post for others who might also be looking for component cables for reasonable prices.  I have no connection and gain nothing from the vendor but a few weeks back I needed another set of component cables and was already using Silver Serpent from Better Cables.  I went to their site and was blown away by their recent pricing.
Went to A'gon and AVS Forum's Videogon and was again gagging on the prices- for used.
I ended up on http://bluejeanscable.com/ and bought their Belden 1694A component cables (w/ Canare RCA conn.).  For a 6' length I paid $45.70 delivered (in two days.)  Very good assembly quality, the image quality is at least equal to the Silver Serpent.  A bit stiff but not an issue where I have them.  Highly recommended.
Larry