Speaker Audition Recs - Vinyl/CD

SBBill

Speaker Audition Recs - Vinyl/CD
« on: 12 Dec 2023, 01:10 am »
Thanks for the new membership.  Retired in SoCal with an LP collection that goes back to my first albums from the 1960's.  Currently listening through a pair of inherited Marantz floor standing.  Looking to upgrade my speakers but thought I'd ask for your recommendations for Vinyl or CD albums to demo a new pair.  Thinking of using my Miles Davis, Ron Carter and Dire Straits LP's but willing to wander outside my comfort zone to critically listen to new material.  Hit me with your best shot?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Speaker Audition Recs - Vinyl/CD
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2023, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for the new membership.  Retired in SoCal with an LP collection that goes back to my first albums from the 1960's.  Currently listening through a pair of inherited Marantz floor standing.  Looking to upgrade my speakers but thought I'd ask for your recommendations for Vinyl or CD albums to demo a new pair.  Thinking of using my Miles Davis, Ron Carter and Dire Straits LP's but willing to wander outside my comfort zone to critically listen to new material.  Hit me with your best shot?
Its not of your interest test speakers with high-quality recordings.
Many poor speakers tend sound good with great recordings.

You test these speakers at a shop with great recordings so you end buying these speaker, they arrive at your place and you start listening your CDs which are mostly bad recordings of Pop and Rock, and the speakers sound awful.

IMO I would suggest you test new speakers with bad recordings of Beatles, Roy Orbinson or Pink Floyd(Piper at Gates, Saucerful).

SBBill

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2023, 03:33 pm »
Good advice.  I have Beatles, Motown and Moody Blues that will work perfectly.  Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:32 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest using a wide quality variety of your favorite recordings.  Modern accurate loudspeakers can ruin poor recordings.  And match loudspeakers to your room and amp sizes. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2023, 05:31 pm »

What does your system currently consist of and what's your budget? As others have already noted, avoid like the plague many of the over analytical offerings that are raved about in hi-end rags/podcasts. These leave you only listening to a handful of audiophile approved recordings. I'll throw out two quick suggestions that play all genres with ease and as a bonus, are an easy load for virtually any amplifier. At roughly $1K, the Tekton Lore...closer to $2K, the Zu DW6. In addition, both should be tolerate of less than perfect program material.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2023, 06:14 pm »
Welcome!

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2023, 11:26 pm »
Always best to use of what you know, what I always do is use whatever I am enjoying at that moment in time.

Tarheel

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2023, 12:15 pm »
The host of New Record Day (youtube) seems partial to Chris Stapleton's Death Row.  I often use Sonny Rollins, and for female vocals Diana Krall,  Madeliene Peyroux, or Norah Jones. 

djpk

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:12 pm »
I use ZZ Top Mescalero CD, Track 1 to audition speakers. If the speakers can sound decent with that track they can probably sound good with anything.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:27 pm »

Use music that you play all the time. You will know. That simple.

charles

decal

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2023, 09:49 pm »
   Use music that you play all the time. You will know. That simple.charles
I agree 100% with rollo on this.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2023, 03:03 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb: