ST Spikes and hardwood floors

svadas

ST Spikes and hardwood floors
« on: 18 May 2013, 02:12 am »
I've been veto'd from installing the spikes at present due to having hardwood floors.  I'm using the plinths on felt pads.  I'd like to be able to use the spikes and am wondering what others do to protect the floor from damage.  They aren't as spiky as some I've seen, but I agree they will make a mark over time.  Any suggestions?  Your thoughts are appreciated. 

Mudslide

Re: ST Spikes and hardwood floors
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2013, 02:34 am »

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2013, 08:42 am »
I've been veto'd from installing the spikes at present due to having hardwood floors.  I'm using the plinths on felt pads.  I'd like to be able to use the spikes and am wondering what others do to protect the floor from damage.  They aren't as spiky as some I've seen, but I agree they will make a mark over time.  Any suggestions?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Go to Lowes and buy the felt furniture feet that have the metal collar on them.  This collar fits perfectly over the ST spikes.  Completely protects the floors and won't slip off the spike.  It makes those heavy ST glide effortlessly on the hardwood for placement experimenting.

svadas

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2013, 05:22 pm »
Go to Lowes and buy the felt furniture feet that have the metal collar on them.  This collar fits perfectly over the ST spikes.  Completely protects the floors and won't slip off the spike.  It makes those heavy ST glide effortlessly on the hardwood for placement experimenting.

Do you have a model number or link to the pads?  A lowes search came up with table legs for me.  This seems like a cost effective solution.

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2013, 06:10 pm »
the solution is only $2. or more accurately, 8 quarters.

ratso

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2013, 06:47 pm »
Do you have a model number or link to the pads?  A lowes search came up with table legs for me.  This seems like a cost effective solution.

they look just like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HBgK1vkSqnY/UDKUNt7N7hI/AAAAAAAAAIo/B437Kimkv3A/s1600/Waxman+4718795N.jpg

that metal collar fits great over the rounded Salk spike.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2013, 07:07 pm »
WOW those are expensive

http://www.oregondv.com/Brass%20Floor%20Pads.htm

Yeah, I take it back....

These are what I use!

svadas

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2013, 07:13 pm »
found them, seems like a good solution. thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2013, 10:55 am »

glangford

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2013, 11:51 am »
I just chose to not install the spikes. I put the little felt pads on the bottom. You can get them in the hardware section of lowes or homedepot for furniture floor protection.  I can move the speakers easy for dusting behind them.  I put little stickers on the floor at their position to note where to put them back if moved as the designated location is referenced to my audyssey calibration.  All my furniture has those little pads for the hardwood, even my wife can move our heavy leather couch.

chargedmr2

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2013, 06:51 pm »
Yeah, I take it back....

These are what I use!

Me too.  Only downside is the bottom edges are sharp enough that you could still scratch the floor if you make small adjustments to speaker positioning.  If you're careful, it's probably not an issue, but it would be nice if the edges were relieved just slightly.  For reference, mine are used under a heavy sub (210lbs). 

RileyD

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2013, 03:51 pm »
I use Soundcare Superspikes on my ST's with good results.

saeyedoc

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2013, 05:53 pm »
I use the non-slip router mat Jim recommended, one was plenty for both of my SCSTs.http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10696

dflee

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2013, 06:55 pm »
I use Linn's Skeets under 110 lb speakers. Recommended
Would like to try Cerimax Spike Spotters, they're ceramic with felt under them.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2013, 07:29 pm »
These aren't high-tech and I'm not sure how well they work but I'm thinking about getting a set to try with some speakers that are currently on spikes resting on some rubber backed "coins" like the ones on the link Jim provided.  They seem to do their job well because the speakers are firmly anchored down.  Here are some rubber spikes from PE (cheap):

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=240-712

The Soundcare Superspikes also look pretty cool as well.  I just hate the idea of having to tip over my bass cabinets and installing the new spikes...too lazy!

Cheers,
Jack

tknx

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
I am in the same boat - trying to decide whether to maybe go spikeless/plinthless; plinth but no spike, spikes on a cup, or replace them with the rubber feet.

Seems like Jim recommends decoupling with that inexpensive router mat - so the Dayton rubber feet from Parts express may be the way to go - but is the threaded hole the same size?

dflee

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jun 2013, 06:03 pm »
The manufacturer of the speaker can tell you the thread size.

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2013, 09:04 pm »
We normally use 1/4-20 inserts for our spikes.  The Part Express rubber spikes require 6mm inserts.  We can install 6mm inserts at the customer's request, but they will not work with out spikes.  Parts Express also sells regular spikes is 6mm inserts as well and these would work if we install the 6mm inserts.

- Jim

tknx

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:29 am »
Thanks Jim - so I think I'll have to find another solution...