HT2 vs HT2-TL

taoggniklat

HT2 vs HT2-TL
« on: 2 Jan 2010, 06:00 am »
How do these two differ? What benefit (if any) does the TL have over the non-TL ?

MukAudio

Re: HT2 vs HT2-TL
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2010, 10:56 am »
How do these two differ? What benefit (if any) does the TL have over the non-TL ?

The main benefit, as I understand it, is the TL cabinet allows the HT2 to play lower.  Bass response of the TL goes down to 32 Hz, whereas the regular HT2 is limited to 38 Hz.

Mark.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2010, 01:32 pm »
Bingo!
\

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2010, 03:33 pm »
Actually, the non TL will go considerably below 38 HZ with room gain.  38 Hz is more like the useful lower limit of the Song Tower.  I've never tested the TL version in my room, but I would be surprised if it couldn't shake things up at 30 Hz. 

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:58 pm »
I've measured reference levels (85db) down to 20Hz with my HT2-TLs in a rather large room ~6,500cF with large openings to other rooms.  Obviously room gain is involved, but there is no doubt about them shaking the floor.  aa

Nuance has seen the measurements and felt the floor shake.  Maybe he'll comment...

I'm planning some changes for tomorrow that I will be taking some new room measurements.  I'll try to share some of the results when I'm finished.

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:22 pm »
Bass, baby - BASS!!!!  :)

The TL version sounds as if it extends into the mid 20's.  The room gain in TJHUB's room could have attributed to this, but wow - amazingly punchy, deep bass.  Patrick (warpdrv) thought the subwoofer was on when he first heard them. 

If it was me I'd go with the TL's, but the non-TL's are incredible as well.  Either are a bargain at their respective price range in my opinion.  And neither will disappoint you me thinks. 

Paul K.

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2010, 11:53 pm »
When I modeled the HT2-TL for Jim, the indicated F3 as shown in the system response graph was 32 Hz, but that's essentially an anechoic F3 and room gain should certainly extend it.
Paul

MukAudio

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:05 am »
Wow, the HT2-TL performance sounds really impressive.  I didn't realize how much my sub was "filling in" the bottom end while listening to 2 channel music until I sold it a couple of weeks ago.  It's my hope that a HT2-TL or HT3 will be able to take care of that, and these reports are very encouraging!

Mark.

coke

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:15 am »
My HT2-TLs rattled the door on my room with a 29 Hz tone.   In my room, there seems to be usable bass down to the mid 20s.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:37 am »
"me thinks that guy don't no squat".

"me thinks that guy don't [know] squat".   

Cheers

:wink:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2010, 03:40 am »
Come on, Nuance, pick an avatar with a cute girl (nothing indelicate, however).

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2010, 03:45 am »
He used to have the cutest lady on the Internet--his daughter (maybe 3-4 years old?)  I guess Nuance was worried someone might track down the address and steal her. 

Bear

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2010, 03:58 am »
I was inspired by this thread.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2010, 04:58 am »
He used to have the cutest lady on the Internet--his daughter (maybe 3-4 years old?)  I guess Nuance was worried someone might track down the address and steal her.

Yes, she is very cute.  A person can never be too careful.  There are some extremely deranged people out there.

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2010, 05:39 am »

Actually yes, that's exactly why I took her off.  My wife made a comment, so away it went.  I guess she has a point, but I didn't see the harm.

I changed my picture for you guys, though.  Guess no one has love for "Michael Scott" from "The Office."   :scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2010, 05:52 am »
You can't take a joke Nuance, no problem.  :scratch:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2010, 06:04 am »
Your speakers are more appealing as an avatar, not that my opinion matters.    :lol:

There is also a photo of a Swedish World Cup fan that Christof posted a while back that wouldn't look too bad, either, although I don't think that your wife would approve.   :wink:

TJHUB

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2010, 06:52 pm »
Nice job taking this thread off topic guys.  Sheesh... :roll:  I expect more from some of you.  :nono:  :P

Anyway, to attempt getting this thread back on topic, here are some measurements I took this morning:

NOTE:  All measurements taken at listen position.

The above graph is running my TLs full range at my listening position (blue=left, red=right).

This graph has a 40Hz high-pass filter applied (blue=left, red=right).

Last time I posted stuff like this, Dennis freaked out. :D  Just so EVERYONE understands, my room is the cause of that 38Hz peak.  It's there with ANY speaker or subwoofer I use in my room.  I haven't figured out a way to solve that yet except for using my subwoofer with it's parametric EQ.  When I do that, I get this on the bottom end:

Nice, eh?  :wink:

I'm going to spend the next week or so listening to my HT2-TLs sans subwoofer.  I can't hear that peak in too many tracks that I've listened to this morning, and when I do hear it, it's so deep and low that it's not really all that bothersome.  The bass has less weight to it without the sub.  I don't know which I like better, sub or no sub.  I promised myself I wouldn't revisit this type of thing, but here I am again... :roll:  I did pull my speakers another 6" or so from the front wall and the peak dropped about 2db and the frequency response between 50-80Hz raised a bit.  I don't know that I hear that, but it improved nonetheless.  I'm about as far from my front wall as I can go already, so this is not my 38Hz bass peak solution. 

I'm experimenting with room treatments now.  I plan on purchasing some GIK acoustic panels, but I need to understand what I need and where before ordering.  I'm also waiting on my good friend Nuance to drag his sorry butt to my house for a day of testing and measuring my room to try and figure out the acoustics.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:25 pm »
TJ:

What happens with the peak if you move your listening position?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »
As I recall, I freaked because the highs were so depressed in relation to the mids, which is no longer the case.  The bass peak doesn't surprise me.  And this graphs looks very reasonable for a room measurement, although I'm still not quite sure what kind of signal you're using, and exactly what kind of measurement this represents.  But I'm certainly not freaking this time.