Cullen Circuits Behringer DCX 2496 Mod - Emerald Physics Approved!!!

ArtilleryofSound

Just got this email from Walter at Underwood HiFi: 

"We are just starting to sell the Cullen mod. It is excellent.  Call me to discuss as it is factory authorized by EP. 770-667-5633" 

Anybody have the mod in their system or heard it???

Thanks,

Mike

Bigfish

Just got this email from Walter at Underwood HiFi: 

"We are just starting to sell the Cullen mod. It is excellent.  Call me to discuss as it is factory authorized by EP. 770-667-5633" 

Anybody have the mod in their system or heard it???

Thanks,

Mike

Mike:

They were playing the C2S's in the Cullen Room at RMAF using their class D amps and their modded Behringer.  I thought it was a very good sounding room but I have never previously heard the C2S's.  Possibly someone who owns the C2S's also visited the room at RMAF and can comment. 

Ken

ArtilleryofSound

I don't know why they show the CS2s with D Class amps.  I went from Bel Canto S300s to EMotiva XPA-2s and finally to the Odyssey Monos I have now.  D Class can't produce the same rich sonic landscapes as these more classic designs can.

The D Class amps are good to show off what can be had for relatively cheap, but they really restrict the ability of the CS2s.

Thanks for the reply.  I hope someone has had some experience.  I will be calling Walter tomorrow.

Bigfish

I don't know why they show the CS2s with D Class amps.  I went from Bel Canto S300s to EMotiva XPA-2s and finally to the Odyssey Monos I have now.  D Class can't produce the same rich sonic landscapes as these more classic designs can.

The D Class amps are good to show off what can be had for relatively cheap, but they really restrict the ability of the CS2s.

Thanks for the reply.  I hope someone has had some experience.  I will be calling Walter tomorrow.

Like I indicated in my original post, RMAF was my first time hearing these Speakers.  I can also tell you that the sound produced in the Cullen Circuits Room blew away the sound produced in Emerald Physics Room with the CS1s on Saturday and Sunday.  If you do a search on Audiogon for Emerald Physics it will take you to Walter's add for the speakers.  In his ad you will see numerous reviews on the speakers including one for the Cullen Circuits Room at RMAF.

Like you I own Odyssey Mono SEs but you can find a lot of favorable reviews about the sound produced by the Cullen Amps.  I think they would be great for my center channel and surrounds in my HT System.

I am interested to learn more about the CS2's and what you need to make them sound their best.

Ken

ArtilleryofSound

Yeah, I've done some searching about the CS1s . . . seems as they are working right now, they are not a massive improvement over the CS2s.  Even Walter hinted to me the last time we spoke that the CS1s sound better, but it's not the same as hearing the CS2s for the first time. 

The thing about the Wyred4Sound amps is that they use the same modules as my Bel Cantos, thus I'm afraid they'll suffer from the same lack of bass definition and dynamics. 

Red Dragon is the only company I know that modifies the actual boards. 

That being said, I've heard PS Audio amps with the 1000 watt modules and they are a significant improvement over the less powerful options.  They sound way better, but not at the level of my Odysseys IMHO. 

ArtilleryofSound

The Cullen people are evidently heavily modifying the analog output stage, but leave the digital front end alone.  Walter said the cost of the digital mod and its return were not worth the money. 

He went on to say they are still building their own crossover that will be used for both the CS2 and CS1.  The custom XO will be essentially two behringers in a custom case with both RCA and XLR connections.  Walter indicated the main drawback is not the construction of the Behringer but its processing power. 

He compared a 486 and Pentium processors.  No matter how heavily you tweak a 486, the Pentium will always outperform it.  Or, in the case of videogames, its not that programmers have gotten smarter in the last ten years, it's that they now have more powerful equipment that empowers them to create substantially more impressive environments and gameplay. 

As it is now, the Behringer is being pushed to use 98% of its processing for DSP.  With the power of two Berhingers, Clayton will be able to further tweak the speakers to achieve results that substantially outperform anything available by way of a mod. 

This is exciting news and makes way more sense to me given the nature of the technology. 

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Thanks for the good news.  Please keep us posted.

Happy Halloween !!

ArtilleryofSound

I ordered a new modded version yesterday.  I'll refrain from discussing pricing but let me just say that's it's below the market trend.  I can't wait for it to arrive.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I ordered a new modded version yesterday.  I'll refrain from discussing pricing but let me just say that's it's below the market trend.  I can't wait for it to arrive.

How about a list price?

I didn't see anything at Walter's site.

George

BrassEar

Walter indicated the main drawback is not the construction of the Behringer but its processing power. 

With the power of two Berhingers, Clayton will be able to further tweak the speakers to achieve results that substantially outperform anything available by way of a mod. 

This is exciting news and makes way more sense to me given the nature of the technology. 

Wow! Interesting to say the least. I assume one Behringer for the low pass and one for the high pass or one for left/one for right?

ArtilleryofSound

How about a list price?

I didn't see anything at Walter's site.

George

$800 to mod existing Behringer.  $900 for a new one and you mail your old one back to Underwood HiFi after you receive the modded one.  Price or mod is not on the website until Walter receives a final modification report from Cullen Circuits.

ArtilleryofSound

Walter indicated the main drawback is not the construction of the Behringer but its processing power. 

With the power of two Berhingers, Clayton will be able to further tweak the speakers to achieve results that substantially outperform anything available by way of a mod. 

Wow! Interesting to say the least. I assume one Behringer for the low pass and one for the high pass or one for left/one for right?

One Behringer per CS2 or CS1. 

GregC

I have the stock Behringer with the CS2 speakers and I have been listening to it for more than a year.  The Cullen mod definitely sounded better than stock (with more midrange resolution and less grain in the upper mids and highs) based on my listening on Sunday (the last day of RMAF).