Q on Removing back plate on Neo3 PDR

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
Q on Removing back plate on Neo3 PDR
« on: 24 May 2007, 01:19 pm »
Okay, for some misguided reason, I thought it would be easy to remove the back plate on the Neo3.  Apparently I was mistaken.

It looks like it is glued/caulked on there, but before I cut anything, I figured I'd ask here.

Any trick to it?  Do's don'ts, horror stories?

Thanks,
A

pixelpusher

Re: Q on Removing back plate on Neo3 PDR
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 06:29 am »
It's not hard to do.  The cup is just glued on to the back.  The best way is to scrape of all the adhesive from the exterior of the joint with a small screwdriver then use a utility knife to separate the plastic cup from the metal.

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2007, 11:57 am »
Thanks.

It looked like glue, but if I had to actually cut plastic I was going to be worried.

I'm going to build the baffle first so I can test both before and after cup removal just in case keeping the cup gives me better results in my room (unlikely, but since I'm testing anyway . . . )

AC

pixelpusher

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2007, 01:06 am »
If you haven't already seen it, check out this thread where I posted my measurements of the Neo3pdr.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36426.msg339925#msg339925

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2007, 01:00 pm »
Thanks.  Those are some good measurements.

What software did you use for the measurements?  I have a Behringer ECM8000 mic, M-Audio Mobile Pre, and Room-EQ wizard.  The setup was more for bass-eq stuff, but it will take pretty good frequency sweeps.

I'm figuring I will have to take my own measurements in a "similar" baffle to my final design (which will be iterative wrt baffle size and crossover design) and adjust to fit.  It is nice to have those measurements as a starting point.

Any chance I could get an FRD file of your (or Danny's) raw data?

Thanks,
AC
« Last Edit: 29 May 2007, 01:10 pm by Anthony »

pixelpusher

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2007, 01:17 am »
I use SoundEasy for measurements.   I could give you a text file.  not sure about a FRD file.  I'll check when I get home.
The Neo3pdr seems to be rather sensitive to baffle size.

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2007, 01:34 am »
frd file is just a text file where each line is:
frequency     SPL     Phase

I can probably convert anything text to the frd format.  It's just what all the FRD consortium spreadsheets use.  Powerful, but non-intuitive speaker design tools.

Right now I'm planning on 1' baffles, which Dan Wiggins seems to have working pretty well with his DDRs.

Thanks.