The Most RADICAL Speaker Positioning I Have Tried - And I Like It.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Various forms of Nearfield listening can be a fun Experiment. I like it from time to time, but it starts to feel a bit like wearing a HUGE pair of Headphones at times.

What I get is a realistic sonic event in front of me. Not at all like headphones.

Rock Ronny

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Yup, what does that matter? The farther the spread the speakers the more toe in you need.
You will need to find your personal preference, there is many options, when I had the Carver Amazing seted I found my best choice was no toe-in, up right no tilt back and near in mid of the room.
This video show a full wrong position and hence a 2D soundstage similar to speaker that emit sound only to front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfDH-UhZCRo

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
What I mean is that if you set up your speakers and have a certain toe in and then spread them further apart you usually end up adjusting the toe in to compensate. Not a law, just usually what happens to get the same sound.

Rocket Ronny

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Yes I can see it. Also I could say with Dipole speakers when they are no too far apart may be no need for toe-in YMMV.

Bumpy

I have moved my system into a dedicated room which has good internal volume. It is high and long but rather narrow.

I have to set the speakers firing down the long length because of things like doors, alcoves etc.  In my previous location I used to run OK with the speakers just 3 ft off the facing wall, but in this room that has become about 6ft.

For a week or two I fiddled about moving the speakers, changing crossover capacitors and even changing some of the cabling in desperation, but the sound although great had lost its emotion. I was sitting reading this thread during one listening session and got up to move the speakers so they crossed over just in front of my nose. They look a bit daft but the sound is everything I wanted and the bonus is that the sweet spot now extends a couple of feet either side of my head, whereas before there was just one sweet spot position, which was indeed like wearing headphones.

Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm by Bumpy »

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
Thanks. Myself, I am not going for a headphone effect at all. I am trying to get a live performance in the room. The big take away from this thread should be to play around with speaker positioning and to even try some crazy ideas. You never know what may work best. 

Rocket Ronny

undertowogt1

I have done this with My Spatial M3T. Basically near field listening. My Speakers were sitting in the Middle of my room. I settled on a few feet less close to my ears.The sound stage goes Waaaayy back . I should experiment again as I have not done it again with my DIY room treatment.

undertow

What you have done is fine, but to say the least your video does zero justice to showing the actual environment we are talking about.

In any case it also looks to be a very small to tiny space for this size speaker, and yes in general room boundaries will play a much larger part in getting a proper setup.

the smaller the room the more acoustic treatments you actually need.

If you have a huge room to many of the diffusors, panels, bass traps can actually become a detriment to more natural sound, but again you need a PRETTY big room to get to that point.

The room you are in could essentially be treated from floor to ceiling with various devices to get much better results, or as you are trying to do essentially eliminate the rooms influence on sound all together and just sit between the speakers  :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

No difference in set up. Both recorded one after the other on my iphone 11. I do have a male voice in and out of phase I sometimes use to check center fill. Mostly just listen to audio tracks for set up. I find the Super V speakers to be one of the best I have encountered regarding a solid center fill. Even with me disconnecting the tweeter and using the BG Neo 10 instead.

Here are a couple more tracks with a Xindak XA 6950 amp and speakers 6' away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocJnvay2c7Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70OdxoCCY4w&feature=youtu.be

I was going to pan around, sorry. My chair is backed up to stair railing. Wall behind me is 6' away.

Anad - thanks for the link, will check it out.

Rocket Ronny

The first video is so underexposed I can see only the window, dimly. The second video is black. Is this intentional?

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
The first video is so underexposed I can see only the window, dimly. The second video is black. Is this intentional?

That’s because I was listening at night with the lights off.

Rocket Ronny

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
it also looks to be a very small to tiny space for this size speaker

The room is narrow at 11.5 feet, but is open to the rest of the house. So I don’t need bass traps. I am using the plants as diffusers, but could use some on the side walls. With the speakers being open baffle, the sound on the speaker sides is mostly cancelled out. Then with the hard toe in side wall reflections are minimized, except the rear wave which is pointed straight at the side wall. So no, the speaker is not at all to big for the room and have proven to be the best I have tried in that space.

Rocket Ronny

Bumpy

the smaller the room the more acoustic treatments you actually need.

The room you are in could essentially be treated from floor to ceiling with various devices to get much better results, or as you are trying to do essentially eliminate the rooms influence on sound all together and just sit between the speakers  :thumb:

As you seem to have some knowledge of room treatment I would like to ask a question. I have 3 way OBs firing across a 10ft room. The speakers are 3ft from the facing wall and my chair is against the opposite wall. I obviously listen near field in the classic triangle.

The sound is perfect, but at anything above modest volumes there is too much sonic energy reaching my ears and its a bit 'overpowering'. So I'm looking to treat the wall behind the OBs and also the wall behind my head.

Absorbers/diffusers - I dont know where to start????

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
My general rule is absorption on the side walls and diffusion on the front wall.

Bumpy

My general rule is absorption on the side walls and diffusion on the front wall.

Thanks, and what about the wall behind my head?

NoDisco

Funny got that amp with a similar setup going right now.Vienna Acoustics Bach Grande. Neighbors love it too. Hope you’re enjoying the MP.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Thanks, and what about the wall behind my head?

Combo of absorbing and diffusing.

sarora9

Got advice from GIK Acoustics that seemed reasonable. They are on  audiocircle. Take a pic of your  setup, include room dimensions, and fill out the form on their website. Somebody will get back in a few days.

Bumpy

Thanks guys I am picking up a pair of these 1m tall QRD panels this evening. I have been looking at the optimum position for wall placement, but then it occurred to me that if I fitted them with stabilising feet I could move them around at will like screens. What do you think?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Got advice from GIK Acoustics that seemed reasonable. They are on  audiocircle. Take a pic of your  setup, include room dimensions, and fill out the form on their website. Somebody will get back in a few days.
They miss Bryan P A LOT IMO.  Glenn is great as expected but Bryan's retirement has affected them in a big way.  The new guy is a pro audio guy who IME doesn't show so much "care" and his response time for me was abysmal. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
My speakers have been setup similar for the last ~5 years or so, Geddes has advocated for this kind of setup and so has Duke of AudioKenisis for a long time now.