Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles

DavidS

Re: Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles
« Reply #60 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:34 am »
the Triode Lab EL84 has Hashimoto opts - not sure if they are c core either or whether that is good or bad.  One thing is the Triode Lab OPT are a lot bigger than the Decware - both heavy but again not sure if bigger is better here.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #61 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:39 am »
The Hashimotos are expensive OPTs even the EI, the encapsulated are C core.
The end bells Hashimotos are EI 0.2mm Hi-B lamination according the site.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020, 08:30 am by FullRangeMan »

Dsaldivar

« Reply #62 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:06 am »
Hi everyone!
I am in the process of putting together what I assume to be my retirement system. I'd like to have input from members that actually own the Lii15 Caintuck or Decware models.

I'm thinking of pairing my Don Sachs preamplifier with a  Quicksilver Mid Monos  amps. These amplifiers can use EL34's, KT77's, KT88's, KT120's and KT150's with a maximum output of 50 w/c.
My room dimensions are 12ft  by 19ft.
 Is this a good system?
Thanks in advance,
Dan
http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/midi-m

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #63 on: 30 Apr 2020, 01:30 am »
Is this a good system?
Great system :thumb:

Dsaldivar

« Reply #64 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:33 am »
thanks FullRangeMan!
Dan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #65 on: 1 May 2020, 12:59 am »
Very big power transformer, very long life.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #66 on: 6 May 2020, 01:20 am »

I wonder how come the price of a Caintuck Lii15 pair of speakers is $850 in hardwood and the same driver with larger dimensions including a thickness of 2"the price goes all the way up to $5600. I checked a hardwood vendor in town for hardwood maple and I was quoted for $230 to make a pair similar to the Decware models. I do not get it these are open baffles that means no cabinets, no crossovers, no electronic components not even binding posts are required. Upper picture is a Decware model and the picture below is the Caintuck model

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #67 on: 6 May 2020, 02:47 am »
not even binding posts are required.
Correct, binding posts are just waste of money and results in musical loss due metal/metal signal transfers. All this are a obvious thing but audiophiles seems to be brain washed   :duh:

diyman

« Reply #68 on: 9 May 2020, 07:17 pm »
not even binding posts are required.
Correct, binding posts are just waste of money and results in musical loss due metal/metal signal transfers. All this are a obvious thing but audiophiles seems to be brain washed   :duh:

I don't quite understand how metal/metal signal transfers would result in musical loss.  Assuming, of course, that there is no corrosion or oxidation on the surfaces.  Good quality, particularly gold plated, binding posts would provide that assurance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 9 May 2020, 09:37 pm »
I don't quite understand how metal/metal signal transfers would result in musical loss.  Assuming, of course, that there is no corrosion or oxidation on the surfaces.  Good quality, particularly gold plated, binding posts would provide that assurance.
In this case the musical loss is a mV electric signal, there is a loss as in every connection. Please dont believe that ''golden'' layer is real gold just for that cheap price, its a cheap alloy of nickel etc

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #70 on: 9 May 2020, 10:11 pm »
If you really want to go nuts, wire wrap is the best connection of all: better than silver solder or any of the usual suspects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Dsaldivar

« Reply #71 on: 9 May 2020, 10:22 pm »
FullRangeMan,

if the loss of metal-to-metal contact is in the range of mv can this problem be solved by increasing the output by dialing the volume pot?

Is there any way to measure loss of musicality using the standard electrical parameters?

I just read that brass (which is the common alloy used in interconnects and power cord terminations) decreases by more than half the conductivity of the signal depending the amount of zinc and other materials used.

Dan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 9 May 2020, 10:36 pm »
FullRangeMan,

if the loss of metal-to-metal contact is in the range of mv can this problem be solved by increasing the output by dialing the volume pot?

Is there any way to measure loss of musicality using the standard electrical parameters?

I just read that brass (which is the common alloy used in interconnects and power cord terminations) decreases by more than half the conductivity of the signal depending the amount of zinc and other materials used.

Dan
After turn up the volume the loss yet will exist, the loss only will gone after the connection also gone.

Do you could try an osciloscope to see what it show.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2020, 02:10 am by FullRangeMan »

diyman

« Reply #73 on: 9 May 2020, 10:39 pm »
In this case the musical loss is a mV electric signal, there is a loss as in every connection. Please dont believe that ''golden'' layer is real gold just for that cheap price, its a cheap alloy of nickel etc

Can you be more specific about what the "musical loss" is that you're talking about.   Please put it in terms of some electrical paraments and how they can effect the music. 

Regarding gold plating, I believe reputable manufacturers who specify that it is done to their connectors.  Perhaps cheap ones are lying, but I stay away from those.

diyman

« Reply #74 on: 9 May 2020, 10:44 pm »
If you really want to go nuts, wire wrap is the best connection of all: better than silver solder or any of the usual suspects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Wire wrap is rarely used anymore, except for quick prototyping.  And it can only be used with relatively small, 28 to 30 gauge, SOLID wire.

It has absolutely no value with heavy, 14 to 16 gauge, stranded wire typically used for speaker connections.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #75 on: 9 May 2020, 10:54 pm »
The best connection is direct. Instead of passing the signal through the binding posts, route the internal wires through the baffle and clamp the bare wire of the speakers leads to your speaker cable using the binding posts. That way the posts still have a function but now instead of passing the signal through them they serve as clamps sandwiching the the speaker cables to the speaker leads.  :wink:

diyman

« Reply #76 on: 9 May 2020, 11:06 pm »
The best connection is direct. Instead of passing the signal through the binding posts, route the internal wires through the baffle and clamp the bare wire of the speakers leads to your speaker cable using the binding posts. That way the posts still have a function but now instead of passing the signal through them they serve as clamps sandwiching the the speaker cables to the speaker leads.  :wink:

I still haven't seen proof that passing the signal through the binding posts has any affect whatsoever on the signal or the sound.  Can you, or anyone, provide the electrical analysis to support that claim.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 9 May 2020, 11:38 pm »
I still haven't seen proof that passing the signal through the binding posts has any affect whatsoever on the signal or the sound.  Can you, or anyone, provide the electrical analysis to support that claim.
I wont work to produce proof to convince you, the appreciation of music depends on the perception of each one's ears and brain YMMV.

diyman

« Reply #78 on: 10 May 2020, 12:29 am »
I wont work to produce proof to convince you, the appreciation of music depends on the perception of each one's ears and brain YMMV.

That's all true.  But were not talking about appreciation of music or perception of it.  We're talking about your assertion that a binding post will actually change the electrical signal passing through it, and change it to a point of being audible.

I claim that a quality binding post will have absolutely no affect on the signal.  None.  Not even a tiny one.  Not a change that can possibly be measured with any instrument and certainly not heard by a listener.

So if you can prove through electronic theory that I am wrong, please do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #79 on: 10 May 2020, 12:51 am »
That's all true.  But were not talking about appreciation of music or perception of it.  We're talking about your assertion that a binding post will actually change the electrical signal passing through it, and change it to a point of being audible.

I claim that a quality binding post will have absolutely no affect on the signal.  None.  Not even a tiny one.  Not a change that can possibly be measured with any instrument and certainly not heard by a listener.

So if you can prove through electronic theory that I am wrong, please do.
If you said you can hear nothing I will believe you, as I aware some persons have hard hears usually harmed by years of hard work inside industrial plants or electric motors or noisy engines of any type.

But it should be noted that the ears and hands of talented musicians are many levels above the paltry workers like us. I will decline the privilege of educating you, go disturb someone else.