RE: Question about re-wiring TS-1's...

eric_ha

« on: 31 Dec 2003, 10:02 pm »
I would like to rewire my TS-1's with higher quality Cardas wire.  My question is, I unscrewed the binding posts and driver, and noticed that the internal wires are not soldered directly to the posts/driver, but have crimp-on connectors that are then screwed down onto the posts/driver.  Should I use the same technique on the Cardas wire, or can I safely solder the wire directly to the posts/driver?  Seems to me like a soldered connection would be better than a screw-on/crimp connection...  but I realize the Fostex driver is a fragile one, and I'm not sure if the heat from a soldering iron would permanently damage the driver.  I'm less concerned about the binding posts...  any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Louis O

• Facilitator
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2004, 01:45 pm »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your question and the Cardas cable is very good and a nice upgrade. Doing the conversion is pretty easy, but as with all Cardas cable you have to tin the wire before you do anything. The Cardas hook up wire has a enamel coating. The easiest way to tin it is with a solder pot, but if you don't have one a powerful soldring iron works too. After the the cabled is tinned soldering the wire to the driver tabs is easy and fast and won't hurt the connections. If you like you can use alligator clips as heat sinks. Clean the contacts with contact cleaner works great too.

Thanks and best regards,
Louis