FR Drivers and Favortie Music

albee

« on: 23 Oct 2003, 04:14 am »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I just want an update:

Do you FR owners feel that a single driver does justice to full-range and demanding music?  I'm not into quartets, vocalists, or small music.  I really listen to new age/electronic, orchestral, and rock.

Has anybody felt short changed by a single driver?

Seeker

« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:37 pm »

Full range drivers cannot realistically reproduce orchestral music and the choice of driver will limit the lower frequencies some instruments are capable of.  bla bla bla  Adding a subwoofer with an active crossover will correct this limitation.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:41 pm »
I have never felt limited by the TS-1's ability to play loud or handle complex or dynamic music. The dynamics on rock music from my TS-1's is occasionally frightening. I will point out though that I have a Rava sub, and use inline ACI passive crossovers (80 Hz) to the amp driving the TS-1s. This arrangement preserves the purity of the tone from the FR while filling in the bass and taking a lot of load off of the FR driver.

Here is my playlist from the last week or so. You can decide if this lines up with what you listen to.

CD
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (heavy rotation)
Living Colour - Collideoscope
Govt' Mule - Dose
Bozzio Levin Stephens - Situation Dangerous

DVD
Primus - Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People
Matrix Reloaded (did you say you want dynamics?)
King Crimson - Eyes Wide Open

I haven't been listening to much classical lately, but when I first got the Rava, one of the first discs I tried was the Telarc 1812 overture. The sub gave out long before the TS-1s did. That is true in general - I need another Rava.  :mrgreen:

As for electronic music, I feel this is a particularly strong suite of these drivers, due to the level of detail they present. I like Laurie Anderson, and her last CD (Life On A String) has some amazing electronic spatial effects. Future Sound of London and Orb sounds great. I have an old Absolute Sound Sampler (Hearts of Space) that also sounds amazing. If I had to pick a weakness of the TS-1's, it would be a relative lack of soundstage depth on these recordings. I have been able to improve that with room treatments (still woking on the room) and Bybee Speaker purifiers (highly recommended).